Gear Lust Part 7

Most of the demos I’ve heard so far from the ob6 haven’t really sounded oberhiem-y to me, but finally saw one yesterday that I thought sounded pretty good. My initial reaction thought was that it sounded pretty much like a re-skinned prophet 6. I am actually more turned on by the korg minilogue. Almost the same feature set, minus the flexibility if the filter, for a quarter of the price. I’ve been pretty impressed by the sound from the demos I’ve heard.

The matrix brute looks interesting too. I’ve heard the minibrute sound engine is kinda boring and flat sounding for analog, but have never heard it in person, so I’ll reserve judgment. Also, I haven’t heard the best things about arturia’s build quality, so hopefully they’ve upped their game for this premium instrument. Could be a winner

Oh right. Overbridge! lol …so much to this synth I forgot. I need to get that sorted. I was kind of just waiting for the update. That will be the way to go for sure. I’ll have to look it up on my own, but curious if you can use Overbridge and the physical audio outs…that would be nice so I could use some hardware FX and track things seperately w/o creating an FX loop/send in my DAW.

Thanks for the advice. I will check out those settings : )

My feelings exactly about the OB06. I don’t really know what Oberheim synth should sound like, but it sounded pretty P06 to me…

I owned a MicroBrute for about…oh 18 months…sold my Mopho Desktop thinking I’d be getting an accetable replacement (even if the character was different) with an knob per function. The sound of their oscillators is super bland. I ended up replacing the MicroBrute sounds with software post recording most of the time. Very, very small sweet spot on most parameters. I never had a build quality issue, but I know there were prevelant. I sold mine, bought a Mopho Keys and didn’t look back…

Fuck to the yea…the little lady just told me she made dinner plans and the new A4/RYTM OS just became public…SWEEEEET. Gonna pick up some brews and man food on the way home from work.

1 BigUp

Hell yeah! It’s deep. Lots for you to explore, those few hours will go by fast!

I haven’t really explored overbridge, but I am almost positive you can run the audio outputs at the the same as running a few tracks thru overbridge.

Thinking about purchasing an Alesis Micron keyboard, currently using a midi controller keyboard with Logic X, lots of fun to mess around with but wouldn’t mind a piece of hardware thats producing it’s own sounds… anyone had much experience with them?

Its okay.
I find that alesis stuff lasts longer than you would expect, that’s all I have to say,

We had one at college and it didn’t soind special (virtual analogue?)

Hmm, I’m basically after something with 2 or more oscillators that I could get some decent pad/lead/bass sounds out of, I know I could use plug ins but I’d like something a little more hands on…

It deffo fits that description idk man, if u try it and like it then buy it. I wouldn’t buy without trying

Are the Microns even being made anymore? From what I know they are quite capable, not sire about how much menu diving is involved. I thinkneither the Novation UltraNova or MicrpNova…same synth engine. …are a real bargain for a first VA and have tons of someone nd esign options. The Unova is way more knobby and hands on…a real pleasure to program. I didnt even need the manual.

Might be a nice addition to someone’s mobile live rig…

1 BigUp

All the Elektron silver boxes just had a major price drop…MDUW 999USD, Monomachine 699USD, MDMKII 599USD.

Ended up going for a Microkorg over an Alesis micron, only thing I’m unsure about is the smaller key size as Im used to a normal sized keyboard so I don’t know what it’ll be like switching between them.

Does it have midi in?

Just checked, u can plug a midi keyboard with a midi out into there for a bigger keyboard

My midi keyboard just has a USB port on it, so would I need to get a USB to MIDI cable and then plug that into the MIDI out on the microkorg? That’d be sweet if possible.

midi keyboards are crazy cheap tho

1 BigUp

USB to midi is a but more than a cable but u can get em. Its probs cheaper to buy an old midi keyboard with midi ports than buying one of those

I have similar keyboards, but I also have a midi interface. I connect the keyboard via USB to the PC, I also connect the midi interface (which has other midi keyboards connected to it via midi cables) to my PC via another USB port, then in my DAW I am able to trigger notes on any device from any device.

Bit early for a entire bottle of scotch imo tbh.

1 BigUp