Gear Lust Part 7

So found a steal on a TR 8…new price is too expensive for what it is…but really nice little techno banger drum machine…probably needs support from something else for weird perc…

What did you get if for? I kind of would like to play around with one of those.

Treefiddy shipped

Better than Five Hundo.

Yea I guess “a steal” is stretching it…but well worth that much dough. That is an impulse purchase price in gearland.

When new Machinedrum MK2s are 599 the TR 8 is a hard sell at MSRP

Never too early for a little bev

1 BigUp

Oh wow, I didn’t know the price dropped on those. I am now considering getting one of these. Those Elektrons have always been more than what I was willing to pay for an electronic instrument even though I know they are nice.

considering copping one myself. Not sure if should spend the extra 300~ for the UW though…
Any thoughts on the matter yourself?

I don’t own a UW. I hate to be “that guy” but maybe check the manual? From what I know the UW is mostly good for one shots and it isn’t really a “sampler” in traditional terms, but more a way to add sounds the MD can’t make on its own. I’ve hear of people using loops and doing all kinds of tricks with it. I would just double check what all you can do with a sample before spending the extra ~300 because that point you are in used Octatrack territory. Though some people claim you can easily make whole tracks on the MDUW via the sampling, I am skeptical as to how easy that actually is.

As far as the MD synth engines go, the sounds that will come easy sound like the Machinedrum and sound a bit IDMish. Like getting a huge banging dubstep snare isn’t really the MD’s strong suite (personaly IDGAF about that). Using the internal compressor or an external distortion unit helps the MD bang a little harder. The easy sounds sound digital. But there is so much to dive into really. You can get really fantastic organic sound grooves out of this box and it excells at being a “werid pecussion machine”.

At 599 you are getting a fuck load of drum machine for your money. And personally I don’t believe the MD sounds “dated” or “obvious” in a track as some people will claim. It is only if you don’t dive into the synth engines and really dig for new sounds. You get an LFO per track and 16 tracks (which really gives you more than one LFO per track as track 16’s LFO can modulate something on track 1…for example). P-locks. P-locks. P-locks. Doing mutes and pattern changes are a breeze and it has one of the best pattern chainging and song modes I’ve used.

Also, the MD is potentially a really powerful 16 track MIDI sequencer.

That is one of the reasons I want it. Also, just want a hands on Techno drum machine.

For both of those it is very, very hard to beat at the price point. In fact I’d argue for a new drum machine you can’t beat it right now for that money. The Machinedrum is easily my favorite drum machine ever. I’ve had all the Electribes (more or less), Maschine, TR-8, I’ve played with a few others in people’s studio (Tempest etc).

My only suggestion is to really dive in and understand the synthesis parameters first. I know the MKI is limited to three-note polyphony. The MKII might be four notes, not sure. But for Techno do you need more?

Also the Machinedrum is the best introduction to the Elektron workflow, which might take a minute to get your head around. Just keep a manual near by and you’ll be fine. Once you get the hang of it (week or two) it is fast (fast fast) and inspiring.

2 Likes

ughh the GAS is real rn! Been wanting an elektron for ages, and now its a no brainer at the price point

1 BigUp

Do it meng. No regerts.

GAS’in hard right now.

I have it in my cart rn… shipping/payment info entered…so dangerous

1 BigUp

I have the biggest devil’s grin atm…

1 BigUp

Oh shit! I might do the 3 month payment plan from Sweetwater.

its out of stock rn at SW :frowning:

I may just wait till its in stock at SW and, like you, do the 3 month payment plan. Would be a lot less damaging on my monthly budget since I only get paid once a month.

A couple ebay vendors have adjusted their prices…check it out