Gear Lust Part 7

hmm, I think I’d want to grab it from somewhere with a good return policy/warranty tbh

in the mean time I might cop some cheaper stuff from Ebay haha, been wanting a Boss dr-660 for some time now…

Fully understood.

Got an Akai AX-80 poly synthesizer for sale if anyone fancies picking up from East London. Looking for about £400.

All analog circuitry and filters with digital oscillators. Has a proper unique tone to it, icy as fuck.

Comes loaded with these presets from synthpro:

Drop me a PM if you want any more details or owt

I emailed korg just to see what they had to say and this is what I received

Dear Harry,

Thank you for your enquiry.

In short, yes it is. The microKORG offers standard MIDI In/Out ports so you can connect the MIDI Out port from another keyboard to its MIDI In port to control it from the other keyboard. This is also explained in the microKORG owner’s manual.

If your MIDI controller only has a USB port (i.e. no physical MIDI In/Out ports), then you would have to connect it to your computer via USB (its USB port will not work with anything else) and you would then have to connect the microKORG to the USB MIDI interface that you mentioned. Then you would be able to use a suitable piece of software to route the MIDI data from the other keyboard to the MIDI interface that the microKORG is connected to.

You can play all 88 keyboard notes on the microKORG – be it on the unit itself (it offers an octave shift control) or through an external MIDI controller.

Best regards,
Saulo Valerio

KORG UK Ltd

So as far as I can tell, I need to have my current midi keyboard connected to my computer via usb, then use one of these cables (

) To take the signal from my computer to the microkorg. So what I now need to look for is a piece of software to run on a mac to transfer the signal, any of you lot familiar with one?

I did think I could maybe run the USB to midi cable straight from my midi keyboard to the microkorg but from reading the email it sounds like that may not work…

Is that the volca beats in the back? Been thinking about getting one. Opinion?

Look at the end of the cable. Look at the back of ur keyboard. Wrong shape bro ;).
U have to do it the way it says in the email tbh, but it really is easier to get a cheap old midi key board

Like this https://www.gumtree.com/p/electric-keyboards/midi-casio-ctk-481-electric-keyboard-great-for-connecting-to-midi-devices-for-cool-sounds-/1154920015

Yeah I did notice it was the wrong fitting for the cable I purchased so I got an adaptor, but yeah I still don’t think it will work going direct from my midi keyboard to the microkorg due to the fact there will be no power going to it. I’ll see if I can run some software to send the signals through my computer to the microkorg, if not though it does look like there are some cheap ones available judging by the link you sent me!

1 BigUp

My order has been placed w/ SW whenever it comes in.

2 Likes

There’s a reason they have different ends haha :wink: I think u cracked the case

Ahh nice one mate.

I’m spending my Saturday rearranging my bedroom/studio. Not a small task but excited. Everything has pretty much just been placed where it fits and it doesn’t work well. Gonna be able to have just about everything hooked up and ready to go instead of having to re cable everything every time I want to use a piece of gear.

Well. Decided to just replace my possibly FUBAR Machinedrum MK I with a new MKII straight from Elektron. The RYTM seems a bit spendy at the moment, but they will be around for a minute and I can also trade up for one later if I want.

At the end of the day I really just love how straight forward the MD is. Also, I’m out a MIDI sequencer besides dodgy iPad apps, so the MD will fill that niche nicely as well.

For everything you get…damn 599 is just cheap, cheap, cheap!

your power issue still happening? I would get elektron to send you a new power supply, I bet that will fix it. If it doesn’t you can send it back to them with your MD to get it fixed. At $600, the mkII is a steal, so much so that I am thinking of getting a backup one! plus mine is a mkI and only has the 32 step sequencer rather than the newer 64, so it would be a nice upgrade. IMO I think this is as close to a confirmation as we are gonna get that these are about to go out of production. I’d love a new box from them that is 16 tracks, able to load machines from either the MD or the MnM, and has the new sequencer and overbridge. To me that would be a perfect replacement for the two legacy machines.

@cyclopian: come over to my place next weekend and jam on the MD to see if you can live without it. It’s the gateway drug to elektron addiction.

I like it for what it is. A cheap analog drum machine. I have actually been jamming out with it tonight with my Moog Slim Phatty.

1 BigUp

Do they still make MKI power supplies? I have two after market supplies w the right specs and it happens w both of them. Also I really do want the 64 steps :slight_smile: but yea…still having the issue…only happens after its been on a few hours and happens w two different power supplies and only during playback.

yeah, they are very particular about having their own power supply. Get one direct from elektron rather than one that meets the specs. I know it is silly, but I am almost positive that is what is causing your issue.

m8, 1stly would love to come by, its been long overdue.

2ndly, I kinda feel like i wont be able to really vibe out on the MD unless i own it. I, and i know you are, a massive nerd. I need to time to disseminate my connection to to this box.

3rdly, jk this is #1 again, lets have a session soon

I will give that a shot before I sell it. At this point it is practically woethless to sell.

Mission almost complete. Day 2:

7 Likes

very similar, its a PVDJ Grabber. I bought my x:one 62 2nd hand and the guy threw it in for free.

I have a ground loop hum on the speakers now though. Driving me a bit nuts trying to track down the source. Never had this problem before I moved everything.

1 BigUp