Gear Lust Part 7

omg how much was it if u dont mind me asking, seen thes go for thousands last year

Hate you.

Jk, very jealous doe. Thatā€™s the finest key tone ever achieved IMO.

It was 1200 in total, so Iā€™m now massively skint lol

I have seen them go for lower than this but I bought it from a company who fixes them up and had it personally delivered. Loving it so far, canā€™t wait to have uni over for the summer so I can get some proper use out of it!

deffo a worth while investment, those things hold thier value pretty well too. i bet u cant they sound so sexy. I used to like pressing the lowest keys and resting my forehead on it and feeling the vibrations like a crazy person.

2 Likes

Looks to be fixed up pretty nice. On mine, the tolex is all torn up and a couple of tines are missing on the two lowest notes. Plus a couple of hammer tips are missing. Itā€™s still very playable though.

Looks like yours doesnā€™t have the original legs. Is that a stand or some different legs?

Bit of a strange one with the stand, this is actually the top of a piano from a suitcase model so it wouldnā€™t have been lugged around as much due to the original size and weight of it. So as far as I know itā€™s had the name rail changed to a passive one like most stage pianoā€™s and the reason for the stand is supposedly the wood on suitcase models is too thin to have the threads for the legs drilled into it.

Iā€™ll upload a video in the next few days when I get some cables to get it hooked up to my computer, currently using a peavey keyboard amp and it sounds great but want to sort out a way to record it!

You should invest in a mic. I use a Shure SM-57 pointed right at the keyboard amp.

From there it goes into a pre-amp then to my soundcard then into my DAW.

Acutally, the suitcase models were lugged around more.

I used to play bass in an organ trio, and the keyboardist had a Rhodes with the amp which the Rhodes sat upon.

That, plus the organ was heavy as fuck.

yea i think the other type had the big fender cabinet it sat on. its a real ball ache to lug about

Yeah, hereā€™s a track that I used my Rhodes in using the micā€™ing the keyboard amp technique:

3 Likes

Liking that tune, sounds v clean. Interesting to hear that about the suitcase models having more use, I was wrong there lol!

Will probably look into getting a mic sorted when Iā€™ve got a little more cash, not sure wether to bother using the headphone output from my amp to get the signal to my soundcard for now just to mess aboutā€¦

Just been enjoying playing it through the amp for now though, sounding pretty decent through a Peavey KB/A 100, got a tremolo pedal too so I can pretend itā€™s a suitcase model!

I think I was confusing the suitcase model Rhodes vs the stage. It was lateā€¦

Yeah, the suitcase is the one with the big ass amp and the stage is the one without. I have a Rhodes SeventyThree Mark I Stage Piano. It looks to be the same model that you got.

Ah right I thought so lol

Yeah that mines a 73 mark I Stage. From 1977 I believe. Managed to hook it up to my computer via the headphone output from my amp. I know itā€™s not the advised method of getting the signal to my soundcard but it will have to do till I get a mic.

Fanuā€™s updated studio

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13220837_10153524308195848_5212979450039671418_n.jpg?oh=6453369bcb56b04b8b7c044b4a12c4e5&oe=57DB77E9

https://scontent-frt3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13177105_10153524308200848_7072724033310273640_n.jpg?oh=f54969569b91e9fd29e96171e6e17812&oe=57A14EE1

Soundcraft 200SR analog desk
Monacor EEM-1200 analog delay
Korg ms20 mini analog synth
Access Virus C synth
E-MU ESI-32 sampler
E-MU e5000 sampler
E-MU SP-12 sampler
Commodore 1541 disk drive
DBX 266XL compressor/gate
Adam s2x monitors
Universal Audio Apollo Twin audio interface
Audeze LCD-2 headphones