Gear Lust Part 7

That is a good one, if you’re going to go moog.

In my dream world, I’d have a p08 for chords, and the sub 37 for monophonics (or duophonics, for that matter, a sound I love).

Yo I think its passive technology. Not too different from a guitar pickup and strings. So I think as long as u feed it a line signal or an amplified signal it should just work

1 BigUp

in vst world softube’s one ain’t bad

My one monitor is driving me crazy.

The volume cuts out at times to an extremely low level. Sometimes turning it off and on again will fix the problem but it always cuts out again. Turning the volume up on the monitor to compensate isn’t the best fix either as sometimes the volume cuts back in again, and the volume is startling as it’s so loud.

Needless to say I don’t think it can be fixed.

So my question to everyone is what are some of the best monitors going for under a $1,000?

genelecs are the nuts…you could probably get a pair around that price mark

Genelecs. Neumann or Focal would be a little tight on that budget.
A5X’s might be worth a look as well. What’s the size of your room?

I’m assuming your current monitors aren’t high-end ones? Coz I’m willing
to bet it can be fixed. It probably isn’t worth it though :slight_smile:

The room is 16’x10.

Here’s the monitors I have currently:

At the cheaper end the KRK Rockits sound quite nice
Also Mackie’s are nice too

Look equator d5s?
They are meant to be great.
Don’t get rokits lol. U will eventually regret it

how come? Recently got the P5s for my decks setup

I still have my Mackie D8B digital mixer which i bought when i was in uni. Still never properly used it yet :disappointed:

What is all that digi control stuff on the monitor?

Have you tried to switch cables?

Switch power cable?

Open the speaker up and check the jacks, could just have to solder the jack?

What audio io are you using?

Can you switch speakers left to right, does the problem move, or stay on the same side?

Fuck you dsf and dnbway: This topic is clearly important to you – you’ve posted more than 33% of the replies here.

Holding this shit down in here. Fucking mail me a check.

The digi stuff is audio pre sets like eg’s and gains you set to different profiles. Used primarily for producing once hooked up to a computer.

I bought the monitors second hand from XI, and the problem has been going on persistently since I received the monitor’s some time ago. He was getting rid of them because they’re pretty large is far is monitors go. Sound is good though, except the one problem I’ve been having.

I’ve switched cables.

Haven’t opened it up, but I took it into a shop and they said there was nothing they could do. I don’t think they opened it up though as they said there was nothing wrong with it (like i said it works normally and THEN the volume cuts out, not necessarily right away)

I’m using Serato Scratch Live, but the problem isn’t just isolated to that program.

Panning left to right the problem stays the same. It’s just the one monitor. The other works fine.

Wait, have you physically switched your monitors left to right? Like keep all the cables the same, all the audio IO the same, just move the left monitor to the right side, and vice versa?

Do you have any experience soldering? Know any geeks? I honestly think this could be a quick fix.

After that, if you can manage it, can you send a sine signal to the bad speaker at a moderate to low volume, does it still cut out?

Are you just using this as an excuse to get better monitors? :nail_care:

I’ve switched the monitors left to right. Problem goes with the monitor.

Personally, I have no experience soldering but may know a geek or two.

I’ll look into sending a sine signal.

New monitors would be nice, be realistically these ones works fine except the one problem and if cant be fixed, I would keep until I really need a new pair.

I’m wondering if a constant tone will trigger this volume change, or if it only occurs with more dynamic material.

Yea. Makes sense. Yea, its going to be all line signal the way I’ll use it…I’m going to do a bit of reading, but I think I’m going to buy the next decent looking one I find for around 20USD on eBay. I do know a guy who did a video where he ran some kind of signal through an open tank and was messing with the springs while recording…got some crazy Aphex style sounds out of it…

@Pokus If I were to get a Moog that is the one I would get as well. I’ve seen a lot of love for it. A good analog monosynth is the meat and potatoes of any hardware setup IMO.

@swerver Nothing wrong with Rokits as far as DJ monitors go…but I wouldn’t rely on them as my A pair for mixing down tunes and certainly not if I were trying to do my own mastering…

Also, NI has deemed it reasonable to give me Monarch, so, I’ll be in moog land pretty soon, if I can figure out how to dl this shiz.

Yea they are great to listen too at high volume the rokits. Just not that accurate and don’t give much in terms of separation (IMO)

I wanna get a mopho having played with one the other day

You a ho, you say that about every synth you play.