Gear Lust Part 7

If you wanted an all in one solution the new electribe sampler is a great deal. Pretty powerful sampler + a light version of the synth engine. Quick and easy resampling. Sequencer is nice. The sampler only has the really bland filters, but I’d probably still go with it over the other one.

As is there legacy, fun as hell to jam on.

I would like to get the electribe with the synth cuz the os is cracked now and its possible to install the sampler os on it. its fully working.
but if I get the sampler electribe, then the synth os will not be fully working on it i heard.

I’d double check if that “hack” still works. I think they might have changed the OS so the hack no longer worked. If my memory serves, some people were not able to get it to work just generally speaking. They didn’t “brick” their electribe, but they had to go back to the original. Again if my memory isn’t totally fucked, its not like you can just seamlessly switch between the two.

If I was just looking for something to jam on and not do serious production with I would probably go with the “synth” version. There are some drum sounds which cover some different ground, but I’d say there are maybe fifty drum sounds total.

Not sure exactly what your meaning is when you say “if I get the sampler electribe, then the synth os will not be fully working on it”. But to speak to that. On the sampler there are far less filter types and waveform types. So yes, its got a “lite” version of the synth engine.

My advice would be to buy something that is going to satisfy you “out of the box”. The synth version might make a nice sketch pad and the it has a nice smooth, bright modern sound.

new elektron ting

looks v nice as well

Pretty stoked on this one. But gonna withold opinion until we have more details…nice to see Elektron breaking into the mid level market (~$500 price point).

Elektronauts and GearSlutz are both a cluster fuck over this…

Mean while DSI and Pioneer bore the shit out of us with a 303ish monosynth :lol_og:

Just got a Rytm and doubt this is going to add much to that, but it’s good to see
something more affordable from Elektron.

1 BigUp

@AxeD You are liking the RYTM so far I assume? Really want to get my hands on one some day.

https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/product/rev2/

Dave Smith is releasing a p08 revision. 8 voice for 1499, 16 voice for 2000.

Dat spec sheet!

REV2 Specifications

OSCILLATORS
2 digitally controlled analog oscillators (DCOs) per voice (plus sub octave on oscillator 1) with selectable sawtooth, triangle, saw/triangle mix, and pulse waves (with pulse-width modulation)
Glide (portamento): separate rates per oscillator
White noise generator
Analog VCAs
Hard sync

FILTERS
1 analog Curtis low-pass filter per voice, selectable 2- and 4-pole operation (self-resonating in 4-pole mode)

ENVELOPES
3 envelope generators: filter, VCA, and assignable (four-stage ADSR + delay); Envelope 3 can loop.

SEQUENCER
Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps (6 notes per step), and ties and rests. Separate 16 x 4 gated step sequencer. Each layer can have a separate sequence.

LFOS
4 LFO’s with key sync per LFO

MODULATION
8-slot modulation matrix

ARPEGGIATOR
Programmable arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
Selectable note value: 16th note, 8th note triplet, 8th note, dotted 8th note, quarter note
One, two, or three octave range
Re-latching arpeggiation
Note repeat

CONTROLS
5-octave keyboard with semi-weighted action, velocity, and aftertouch
52 knobs and 20 buttons enable deep and comprehensive editing with little to no menu diving.
Spring-loaded pitch wheel and assignable mod wheel

MEMORY
512 Factory Programs (4 banks of 128) and 512 fully editable User Programs with 2 layers (2 separate sounds) in each Program
IN/OUT
MIDI In, Out, Thru
Main stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
Output B stereo audio output: 1/4″ unbalanced
Sustain pedal input: accepts normally on or normally off momentary footswitch.
Pedal/CV input: responds to expression pedals or control voltages ranging from 0 to 5 VDC (protected against higher or negative voltages).
Headphone output: 1/4″ stereo phone jack.
Weight: 20.5 lbs. (9.3 kg)

Dude… the new Teenage Engineering PO device is a drumsynth engine running Microtonic natively.

WANT.

https://teenage.engineering/store#po-32

Wow. That is pretty badass. If I had Microtonic that be an insta-buy for me. Pretty good package deal at $139.

Could be wrong but I think it comes with Microtonic… if that’s so yeah, it’ll be a no-brainer.

Live PA rig that fits in a 3 ring binder… :thinking:

1 BigUp

Yea. They have a package deal for 139. That is a bit steep for me at the moment. I usually get stuff through Zzounds.com if I can because they have a pretty sweet payment plan deal. No interest, but on the day money has to be in the checking account or room on the credit card.

Works better than PayPal Credit for me

Also, I would want to get the case for it. Everyone I know that has a PO says splurge on the case…

Just ordered these bad boy all blacked out Serato control records:

As well as some Dr. Suzuki Mix Edition Slipmats:

Anyone use these slipmats before?

Can anyone recommend a phono preamp for ~$200?

I’m currently looking at:

Ive heard a lot of good things about the pro-ject audio one, also allows you to use a moving coil cartridge if you ever wanna go audiophile dad vibe

i use a cambridge and it sounds really good, think that one can do moving coil as well

I’m leaning towards the Cambridge.

Either the 651P or its replacement for $70 more

It seems like almost every review online is positive.

Would like a phono pre amp also. Thanks for the suggestions.

The new Elektron looks pretty sick. It’s like the perfect gateway drug into their workflow. As I have the RYTM and octatrack in my setup I don’t need it, but having the most modern Elektron sequencer finally spitting out midi is tempting, my dream would be for them to treat this box like Eventide does the H9. Base hardware unit and you can buy different algorithms to run classic Elektron digital synths blocks. If that were the case, the form factor and price point could make them quite addictive!:sweat_smile:

Also those new Maleko groove boxes look cool, especially the Harvestman collaboration! I love wave table thru VCF/VCA

1 BigUp

Yea…I keep thinking of the most modern Elektron sequencer connected to anything else…hardware…software…would be so sweet. The Digitakt pluse a newer iPad would be a wicked little setup for some one starting fresh and wanting an “all in one”.

Though I’m hacked off at Apple right now…

ffs, I hate running out of useable stylus.

Swear down I’m going to buy 10 replacement’s next time I’m paid.