Gear Lust Part 7

Looks like my last bit of 1u Eurorack space is about to be filled

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoG-FmqAr9M/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1cma2pzcmtdsk

1 BigUp

Planning to get one next week and the other next month.

Rebate’s on till December folks!

On a side note, can I have more ninja’s chime in on their experiences with Mackie monitors? Am I making a good choice in studio monitors for deejaying or no?

1 BigUp

Other ninjas w more experience should pipe up here but I actually like em because while they’re not astonishingly detailed they’re not too colored EQ-wise either. A lot of prosumer monitors favor lows that don’t translate into the final mix always.

Mcintosh logo light, only $1500

Seriously doe if i was minted then i would buy all this audiophile shit and spend like 100 grand on it.

In my experience DJ monitors need not be super high end. I’ve played on lots of mobile PAs that used Mackie monitors as they are easily had all over the US in music stores. I felt like it was fine. These were mostly house and techno gigs if it matters. I don’t even mind Rokits for DJing personally, but maybe I’m just deaf at this point.
I’ve also been using nicer monitors than that for DJing recently so maybe my opinion would be different if I had to downgrade.
For production, I’d probably spend more.

Received one Mackie XR624 6.5". While it sounds cris, I realized after it arrived the frequency response is 45 Hz 22 kHz, while the XR824 8" is 36 Hz 22 kHz at $130 more then the XR624.

Tell me, do I want or need my monitors to be below 40 Hz, or is the difference even noticeable between the two models?

Should I return the XR624 and cop the XR824 or just suck it up and wait till I can afford to buy a sub, since then it wont really matter what frequency range my monitors are.

Perhaps sacrificing better low frequency is a trade off for a smaller sized monitor.

How accurate are either if them going to be at their extreme lows? Going from 6in to 5in monitors was a revelation for me in my space. I could hear things much more accurately.

Id save and get the sub.

1 BigUp

the drop off will start a little above the cutoff frequency and roll off pretty sharply after. makes a difference on tunes if they have a low f sub (46 hz) or below. youll be fine or better with a sub in terms of bass, but if you want accuracy/flatness swap them out

1 BigUp

someone should weigh two sets of newton balls for tuning

• with two black balls, this pic could be the c-scale and then a smaller one for f-scale!

then you could jam with a sick live bell metronome
and it could even play chords because you could just hang the notes (balls) up you didnt want on the side

shoot it thru some reverb and go full sun-rah on bitches

newtonsvugge

or like stick one inside a hang drum or oildrum

another idea:

those elastic lego motors
get one of those little fuckers to hit a tuned bell or a drum or something

so as to create a live open synth where you can see what goes on
like an art installation that is a synth

EDIT
ofcourse loool

Wow do u think that people actually buy this shit

Most definitely.
If they can afford any peice of Mcintosh gear then they are the sort of people that don’t mind spending a grand on a light.
Almost ridiculous as this:

1 BigUp

Yeah seen that before, ridiculous.
Most the people are too old to notice the difference with their hearing anyway. Blatant Placebo effect

Made me think of this

2 Likes

Lol that has to be a pisstake no?

I remember looking at audiophile bullshit a few years ago, someone made a wooden volume knob for some high end amp and the dickheads were all like ‘the music sounds so much warmer with this wooden volume knob’ :joy: it cost about 2 grand fucking hilarious

2 Likes

They are very real lol

“Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an even greater effect…really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear…way better sound!!”

4 Likes

Lol i think that is the actual thing i read tbh, absolutely bonkers

NS10’s or gtfo :lol_og:

1 BigUp