How can I make good chords?

I think he forgot the sarcasm emoticon. I’m not arguing against you.

Yeah no I meant to respond directly to @MorrisJessle but no hard feelings.

I was talking about @databoi 's post anyways.

Of all the flavours, why choose salt?

All I’m saying is theory is fucking useful. You don’t have to use it, but I enjoy it and find it to be fun.

1 BigUp

The thing is a dash of theory goes a long, long way…Personally I think all these chord/scale programs have gone a bit far and are contributing to dumbed down music…

lol, I never said it wasn’t, just saying you for you to do your thing.

I don’t know, that bit just kind of bugged me. It sounded like you thought of utilizing theory in the way I described as childish.

Maybe I overreacted, if so my bad.

Not childish, just boring.

If you’re willing to explore lots of different kinds of music, then it’s literally never boring. If you’re willing to accept that there are other types of theory beyond European classical theory, then the possibilities are literally endless and it’s the exact polar opposite of boring.

I like to sample my Dm9 chords.

Tbh, You can just fuck around without following a bunch of rules about fucking around. Following the rules on fucking around while you’re trying to fuck around is boring.

I only learnt the rules so I could break them.

See, I just broke a grammar rule.

2 Likes

Coulda done it anyway.

You keep talking about rules, and I don’t see theory as rules.

What you’re talking about is just lazy in my mind. I think music is more interesting when you explore not just different styles, but different types of notes and scales and tunings. Because you’re using a computer it’s all open, so why not explore what’s out there?

As I mentioned earlier, its really a language for musicians to communicate and play with each other.

Like if I said, “What did you just play? I don’t know, I just hit these white notes and these black notes.”

1 BigUp

You can do that without studying theory though. I generally play by myself and if someone’s looking to know what I played I can quite easily show them tbh. I think it’s more important to train your ear, because then you don’t really even need to ask.

Of course you can! I just gained a lot of clarity through learning theory that helped so I could expand my music beyond just major and minor chords, of course that’s a long time ago.

I don’t know, it’s really up to the individual, but to me, if you’re trying to, as the thread topic dictates “make good chords”, using theory is probably a good way to go.

Mine was an example. You should train your ear and know what intervals sound like. I can recognize a third, fourth and a fifth right off the bat and I have enough skill in the language to describe it to you.