"How did UK garage become dubstep?" Youtube documentary

Dubstep was obviously invented by Timbaland, wtf @ this topic.

8 Likes

IIRC… first it was us garage which evolved around the same time as house. It got brought to the u.k. where it lived in while us garrage died out.

At the same time dnb becomes a thing and you have u.k. garrage guys borrowing bass sounds from them.

u.k. garrage dies in the early 2000s leading to the sectionalization of the genre. grime, dubstep, sublow emerges.

dubstep p much evolves naturally until like 2008 or something when social media starts to become more prominent. Then you have the infusion of other regional sounds from trance, progressive house, etc

Brostep happens…

after that you have trap becoming dominant and the genres start to blur again.

Im sure all ive said is spot on :innocent:

producers make the thing whereas djs go in scenes

and obviously theres some common ground there because of the two step beats that was used in dubstep that you happened to be able to find on a garage beat sample cd

but what im saying straight up is that dnb djs ‘owned’ the clubs, wouldnt allow other ‘slow drum and bass with a two step beat’ -og dubsteppers probs had issues setting up nights - aswell as the issue with it being instrumental if they wanted girls at the show

so it had to grow out of the available scenes like grime and garage, being played by garage djs

but the sound is still jungle production and most of the thing is the bass where obviously the reese came about in dnb

garage is djs , vocalists and mcs and then producers = a scene

dubstep is just production and maybe a sound engineer nerd or something and a couple of m8s that bdont mind it being instrumental first

my thoughts exactly…I think you would find it hard to find a producer who was making tunes at the cross over period who would say dubstep didn’t come out of garage

bro I feel like you’re missing some parts here though

It’s not just that burial retroactively made garage a part of dubstep - there are loads of tunes from like 2002-03 that exist in the mid point between garage, dubstep and grime. Culture wise, DJs like joe nice, hatcha, youngsta etc were garage DJs.

I get that as the genre went on it kinda had more to do with DNB culture and aesthetics wise but garage is a core ingredient in dubstep

El-B is credited as one of the godfathers of dubstep and he’s definitely part of garage, loads of his tunes had MCs etc

2 Likes

yeh im not sure what Hubb is on about at the mo, dubstep comes straight from ukg

2 Likes

No you wouldn’t, I started making Dubstep in 2005 with Headhunter and along with J@KES started HENCH.
Early influences for me personally were tracks like.

And

At that time I was making tracks like.

I didn’t listen to garage at all, it may well have influenced some people in what they made, but to be honest I would say it was mainly D&B and Dub that really gave the biggest influences to how the sound was shaped.

1 BigUp

Great short doc obviously. I always heard those stories about Armand Van Helden pioneering speed garage.

DnB dorks lost all the women at their shows and cast a longing eye at the T&A jiggling on Garage dancefloors and said, “I want some of that.”

And that’s how dubstep was really born. Trufact.

:badteeth:

PS: Ironically the cycle has repeated itself and now dubstep looks lustfully at trap honeys or sth

1 BigUp

That to me is a ukg track, I’d say a ukg influenced dubstep track would be more along the lines of…

I hear what you’re saying but I mean by 2005 dubstep was well on its way. Undoubtedly dubstep takes influence from jungle but it was a pretty clear evolution out of garage. Garage was getting darker and darker and being influenced by the heavy jungle basslines but but it was still garage, and then this evolved into recognisably the earliest dubstep. I dont think the name ‘dubstep’ was really being chucked around at the start. A lot of people talk about the natural progression from jungle to garage and then people went dubstep and grime as a continuum. Theres plenty of tunes from the earliest days where its almost down to personal opinion whether u wanna see it as garage or dubstep. I havent ever seen a pioneer of dubstep discredit it coming out of garage

1 BigUp

i love el b and i am being unfair

i just dont technically agree that harder garage is not harder garage

i think no one decided that they wanted the girls to leave the club in 2002
but that the thing that made girls leave the club and turned the boys into trainspotting dubsteppers
and underlined what dubstep is mostly

is the sampled based jungle and dnb production happening in a bedroom (or estate kitchen IF YE DANK)

in an extra way - i think if dubstep in a stricter sense had stuck to like real jamaican dub recording production, tapes and shit - then it would have appealed to all the people into ska or 60s pop music from jamaica which is huge in some areas in the uk with older people too

but its not that, its more a bedroom thing ?

Im sure the fact that the tempo was slower made some mcs take the wheel and try to encourage more dubstep and that that was a scene

garage comes out of late 80s soul music and early house/hiphop djs

first was mixing rap vocals with house tunes
and singers singing to hip hop beats

then came mcs

it just went down at some jungle raves

lol same discussion on doa

some posts

basically we start with Daniel Bedingfield and end up with Skrillex. good job guys, thanks for your contribution to music, you must be so proud.

cut the beats in half and doubled the shirtless men :teeth:

but they are also saying the same thing as you guys, talking about early horsepower

wiki:
The group was initially composed of Benny Ill (born Ben Garner), Jay King, Lev Jnr, Nasis and four other members.[1] The eight were closely associated with the influential drum & bass record label No U Turn, and its UK garage-oriented sister label Turn U On.

I guess they get to decide then

1 BigUp

Considering dubstep came out of a garage and grime record shop (big Apple records) it’s roots are firmly in garage. Early skream and Bengal all sounds like garage not dnb.
Sure around 2005 it had more dnb influences but originally it grew out of garage.

Just listen to so solid - dilemma
Mj cole dub if mindless and unbroken.
God - watch ya bassbins
El-b - lyrical tempo
Oris Jay - biggin up da massive

Admittedly dnb/jungle a big influence on those tunes but they were garage tunes.

Arguably techno and has had as big an influence as dnb considering Benny ill, and the bug amongst early dubstep pioneers

4 Likes

come again

Benny ill, the bug, noodles from groove chronicles all made techno in the 90s as well

1 BigUp

Presumably Hubb has been permanently banned now for this.

2 Likes

fair

MODS!