"How did UK garage become dubstep?" Youtube documentary

this is a moop forum

3 Likes

I only object to the idea that any genre is isolated from another when it comes to UK dance music stuff. It’s all so interlinked.

1 BigUp

thats zenstep m8

but yeah exactly its about scenes

1 BigUp

From the horses mouth as it were

https://twitter.com/HorsepowerProd/status/968528607126663168?s=19

2 Likes

should probably get a grey text saying doesnt know dubstep or psytrancer or something

https://www.dogsonacid.com/threads/how-did-uk-garage-become-dubstep.792473/#post-11825750

Lol there is so much shit being chatted in that thread it heart my head

1 BigUp

Guess its where I get it from :blush:

Thread seems reasonable. Of course some people are going to hate it but they’re essentially saying the same thing that has been said here.

1 BigUp

So where does chillstep come into all of this?

1 BigUp

Chillstep was the ultimate evolution of the genre let’s be honest

1 BigUp

Gotta love a bit of Blackmill tbf, or Nilow remix of Ellie Goulding

I think you mean [Chillstep Mix 8 hours 2014]

3 Likes

From what i understand Dubstep stemmed from London around the late 90’s early 00’s.

People like Hatcha, Skream, Benga coined the really dark and heavy basslines in their productions of dance music like garage, which formed over the years into the really heavy energetic stuff we hear now.

True, but it got a bit overplayed tbh. But it’s nice to draw for it once in a while and remind myself why I love this music

Cheers for that mate

9 Likes

yeah the scene needed that type of summary rn imo

Dubstep, also known as brostep, came from the underground trap artists from Michigan in the early 80s, although at the time it was known simply as “techno,” to rhyme “heck, no” which was a commonly used sample, signifying a DJ’s membership of the techno community.

The term “dubstep” was named after the dance style, when both feet are moved together in a hopping fashion, or “double stepping.”

The term “brostep” jokingly emerged because many pioneering artists of the style, including Skream, Benga and Ritchie Hawtin are known to be butch lesbians.

9 Likes

finally, someone has done their research

1 BigUp