I want advice on gaining skills as a producer

Alright ill subscribe right now, actually. Thanks.

Wow. This bassgorilla channel looks professional. Nice.

yeah its legit dude! He comes out with new courses every now and then also. Watch them all if you’re fully subscribed, guaranteed to learn something new.

1 BigUp

:joy:

Can’t believe this thread has 300 posts and he still hasn’t opened a DAW.

Big up the millennials.

1 BigUp

DAWs are so 1996

Production is about being able to persuade people at parties you make sick beats by watching bare tutorials.

5 Likes

It’s also about adding local producers and posting le production memes on your facebook feed

and nice necro

Did you drag a sample in yet bro?

1 BigUp

OK first thing. “I wanna be big some day soon” - that shit just doesn’t happen overnight, if at all.

And that leads me on to my advice.

We can only tell you so much. If you have raw talent, creativity, dedication and can take (constructive) criticism you’re half-way there. There’ll come a point where one day you’ll think “I’m there” in terms of where you want to be and at what level you’re comfortable with and when that comes the only way is up. LIS don’t expect it to happen straight away.

Good luck

jay

1 BigUp

I’d venture this is true of anything. I’ve been trying to express just that point to a friend of mine who struggles socially, but insists that he will become popular and great with the ladies if he can just read enough books to find some magic bullet that will make people love him.

Obviously, that doesn’t exist. Not for socializing, not for sports, or math, or dubstep, or macrame.

Just get off your ass and do it. If you have to pirate a DAW to learn how to use it, and are willing to pay for the software once you sell enough albums to cover the basic license, I say go for it.

2 Likes

It’s been my experience (and Malcolm Gladwell agrees with me here, if you’ve read “Outliers”) that if you do something every single day, both consulting outside sources for new ideas and development, surrounding yourself with those who are better than you at the thing you want to be great at, and continue to make it the single largest priority in your life to the exclusion of other discretionary activities, you will eventually succeed at it.

Keep creating content. Choose the best content and share it with the world regularly.

Anyone can be “big”.

2 Likes

This post. I guess it’s what I meant to say.

How do you know haven’t opened a DAW? As a matter of fact, I got Reaper some weeks ago. Trying to figure it out, now. I guess this all is funny to you, huh?

Thanks for actually being helpful. You too, jaydot.

Keep watching tutorial videos on, sound design, effects (Compression, EQing etc.) Look at which VSTs you can afford or can get for free. Create a SHIT FUCKING TON of bookmarks for everything producer related. Because you are going to forget things and you don’t wanna end up searching the internet for hours to find that specific sound tutorial you watched but forgot.

In my opinion it’s about 1 simple thing. Motivation, keeping yourself motivated is what drives your workflow (At least for me) and another thing you should remember is that there is no such thing as having no inspiration, if you feel uninspired switch up the music you’re listening to. I’ve been inspired by mathcore and metal for dubstep tunes and i’ve been inspired by dubstep tunes that turned into ambient/triphop.

TL;DR Keep yourself motivated to do shit, nothing is easy.

1 BigUp

yeah bruh

Re: watching youtube tutorials…I would be careful here…avoid tutorials in which the author says things like: “Uh…I like um…turn this knob and it makes things moar phatter” etc…

I’d go for ones that seem associated with a publication or a school like Dubspot. Actually some of the best money I ever spent was a subscription for three months to Groove3 tutorials, the all acess pass. I learned a ton from those, worth its weight in gold. It was only 15USD a month, dunno now.

1 BigUp

no, just no.
it may be mainstream and “popular” but as far as the execution of the production goes david guetta tracks are near perfect on a production note.

the best advice you can have is to get a DAW learn it, spend years making tracks, learning from your mistakes and realise just how much effort goes in to it.

you may think it’s easy, download drum samples, massive patches and arrange them into a song but that’s only the first step of a track and you wont get anywhere if you leave it at that.

2 Likes

1 BigUp

So how is it all going Feend?

Can’t download anything because of my reception. I can only do something when I go home. I’m at school most of the time because I live here. I only have breaks and sound fx that I downloaded a month ago but I don’t believe that is enough to make a song. I don’t have any outside plugins. Just the shit that came with reaper. There seems to be nothing but the synth and the stuff to tweak it. I mean, I can put breaks in as midi items and tweak em but that just isn’t enough. I want to make my own music. Not play around with someone else’s. Maybe someone knows a way I can cut out the kicks, snares, etc. from those breaks and fx to put into my inventory since I can’t download anything at the moment.