I want advice on gaining skills as a producer

what a doozy of a thread. I feel for ya because I started out on my phone too and remember the point where I decided to jump in. Umm…in all seriousness…you want to start with a DAW when you get your computer setup. FL Studio, Ableton, Logic, and Cubase all seem to be the most commonly used ones. Most of them offer a free trial if you want to go the legit route.

I would say step 1 is to just dabble in a couple of different DAWs and see which one feels good and conductive to making music. Your #1 starting goal should be to learn your tools inside and out. Make what ever you want and have fun but just realize you have to work very hard to make your stuff sound pro so don’t get discouraged.

1 BigUp

Alright. But i was planning on starting with Reaper since its free. Just for a head start until i was able to to get fl or something. Do you see something wrong with reaper?

I looked at like one or two vids for reaper. Doesnt seem to be too popular but i subscribed to the channel that has the reaper tutorials. Not for new stuff because i get the feeling the guy doesnt make new stuff and also because its the videos he’s already made that counts at the current moment/time when i have a pc.

Reaper is actually pretty popular…check their user forums…lots of dedicated Reaper heads out there. a lot of the native plugins are great even if their gui looks simple. dont be fooled …it is just as powerful as any of the other major daws

1 BigUp

Cool then. Didnt know there were forums for softwares themself. That should help.

Reaper is top. I use it for recording but there’s no reason why it wouldnt be good for sequencing

2 Likes

This is tongue & check, right?

2 Likes

If you do it for yourself and to put a smile on your face, put in around 8-10,000 hours. You’ll see some serious quality from yourself.

If you do it because you want to make money, have nice cars and get all the girls…Well, you’ll fall apart in a blink of an eye.

You shouldn’t be questioning about how long it’ll take because with how music works these days, no one knows.

Don’t focus on how long, but instead focus on producing instead of thinking what you want.

1 BigUp

I’m sort of offended at the notion that some people in this thread believe you can actually get this taught in school or via how to’s or tutorials.

There’s not one guy we listen to who’s had to go to a certain school to get the sound or the mind, that we’re interested in listening to.

And what you are saying is so weird when we know what the stuff we listen to is. It’s homemade stuff and everything else that comes next on that line, be it a studio or a school, is on some bureaucratic bullshit relating to segments and markets and other planes where this ghetto magic couldn’t have originated from in the first place.

The best choice is to try to steal some information, then steal some sounds, a daw and ideas and see what they sound like when you try to combine that mess. Because if you go to a school, you’ll be looking through the scope of some guy that thinks chemical brothers is well naughty and there will be a curriculum of what he wants you to steal instead, because he’s not able to teach you that either.

1 BigUp

bro u get offended too easily.

i hear what you’re saying though.

Trust me. I wouldn’t post all the ½ offensive shit I post if I took offense in the first place.

Unless it’s about shitting on the weak like fat people or women or… dance music… wait?.
:kissing_heart:

I have never ever understood the recent obsession w going to school to make beats…

2 Likes

I actually just plan on figuring out what kind of sound i want to make and looking at tutorials to get that sound. Not exactly making clones of other people’s music, but just learning the basics and doing what i what with them. A music teacher that i was cool with last school year said (we were talking about music production) “You have to know the rule before you can break them.” I mostly do research on genres and subgenres by occasionally reading/watching videos (which i plan to do more of, considering ive only watched/read a few-maybe eight or nine) and listening to a certain type if music until it becomes part of my dna (that way i wont have to constantly refer to music similar to the kind i want to make). Stuff like garage is new to me, considering the fact that ive just began loving Sorrow’s music more than ever (i keep beatboxing the percussion from his song, Chronicle), so i have to listen to Sorrow and Burial and more artists i dont even know of yet if i want the music to be apart of me. And then i can begin crossing subgenres as i please. I dont really know about college right now. Im just focused on watching tutorials and asking people questions for how to do specific things. I think that if i have the creativity and the ingredients to make a specific type of music, I’ll be just fine.

Have you started producing yet?

1 BigUp

Nah. Im super eager tho. Im still seeing what i want to delete from my phone so i can download some little production app (free, of course). But if you care, i can show you some song ideas i have via kik.

But space is getting short. I keep taking screenshots of old artists to listen to so i can listen to the foundations of specific types of music. Websites and that could help me in the future. I should start writing stuff down. (Still, i got 800 recordings on my phone and counting.)There are so many things i can research. I dont have a problem with the fact that this research will virtually be infinite. Its just. I feel like ill have to squeeze things in a lot. Information. I didnt plan on getting a job just to pay the bills. I planned on a career in music. Considering that i only have two more years in school, that plan will possibly have to wait longer depending on how good i turn out to be at producing, how others react to my music, and how good I’ll be at getting my name out there.

You shouldn’t go to school to make learn how to make stuff, but you do need someplace to start. I would never have gotten anywhere without watching seemless on YouTube. I’m still pretty shit but I at least kind of understand sytrus because of him.

School is pretty bad at teaching anything not based on facts. I took 2 years of french in high school. Walked away knowing less than I went in with. Then in college I took 5 semesters of french. I learned far more outside of class than I did in. I can speak pretty fluently now, no one else in my classes could tho because they just went with what they were taught in school. Ya gotta just fuck around on your own to get anywhere

3 Likes

Thats weird. I subscribed to like four new channels today and SeemlessR was one of them. Ive seen him on videos before but never thought about seeing what was so special about him despite the responses he gets from people. I finally decided to glimpse at his uploads and figured that he would come in handy later on.

Definitely not needed but connections makes it so much easier. Look at Jauz…his connect was Kennedy Jones. Now look at him, HUGE. Listen to his music, I know many more producers who are much better and deserve to be where he is. He went straight from school to headlining festivals because of his 1 song “Feel The Volume” (which I like lol)

Twine is known because he is friends with Getter and Getter showed his shit to Datsik. End of Story for him.

Downlink was some what known, met up with Datsik at Shambhala and Datsik introduced him to Excision. BOOM, they became roomates and the rest is history.

Plenty of cases where connections helped a great deal

1 BigUp

Im subscribed to Bassgorilla. Check it out man, tons of useful information. 10 bucks a month for full access for life after you buys a course full price. I recommend it!

1 BigUp