I want advice on gaining skills as a producer

Tbf I know people who are intelligent af but got shitty music tastes and vice versa

lol this thread getting good

Wait when i said intelligent i meant like morally, logically, etc. Not book smart. Any idiot can be book smart but if you already knew what i was talking about and you still stick with your statement i wont start any shit. Thats fair enough. If thats true, lemme change my statement. MOST of the people ive known had musical tastes that matched their mindsets. Both were shitty.

1 BigUp

o_O;;

this is like if napoleon, nietzche and the phantom of the opera started a thread

dude research daws with google (digital audio workstation), programs like fruity loops, ableton, reason, logic, get one, watch tutorials and put in the hours of practise, you’re young and will have plenty of time, eventually you might get something you’re really happy with, this is the way people make good tunes in my experience

2 Likes

Thank you. I plan on getting software when my mom gets me a laptop. I felt like looking up stuff without the actual thing itself to mess with firsthand would make things difficult for me. But ill take your word for it and look up daws and stuff. Bout three years ago i downloaded a demo of FL on my moms desktop. It never let me save anything. (Fucking assholes) I used to play around with this fake djing website that let you pull songs from soundcloud and dj from the computer. I never got good but it was fun. And of course, i didnt know much as i do now and still got a lot to learn so the music never went together. I thought get lucky and lose yourself to dance would match. I found out how much i could do with those two songs on those virtual turntables:not much at all.

the entire read until here was extremely confusing.
also, i dont get you bro, you say you wanna make music out of passion and as long as there will be profit its cool?
i dont know ANYBODY who really gets money off of making music. and that should not be anything you aim for.
either youre about music, or money. if money, youre wrong for music imo!

when you wanna get into producing just go with the advice rkm gave. get a daw and just start. you will see if its for you or not. its that simple…
you can start asking proper and defined question when you know what youre talking about… and people won’t hesitate helping.

2 Likes

Would you like to tell me where the phantom of the opera came from? I just dont see it.

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes::eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes::eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:
:eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes::eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes::eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

So theres a problem with me making music my career? I dont wanna do something else for money. I wanna do what i love for it. Theres nothing else i want to do for profit. I want to branch out eventually into fashion and whatnot but i could never do those things unless music was in the center of it. Why not?

You say you dont know anybody that makes money from music. AHAAAHA!!! IM NOT ANYBODY YOU KNOW!!! (Wheres a joker voice when you need it.)

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to make a career out of music, but it’s a very tough thing to get into. So you should enjoy making music for music’s sake and not just to make money off of it.

3 Likes

I think almost everyone registered on this site would love to make music the center of their life without needing to do any other kind of work besides it. but it simply doesnt workt like that. if it would, almost everyone on this site would do so. there is no problem with you wanting to aim for making music your career but without knowing what a daw is and the way you approach things currently, you should rather see where you start making music instead of thinking about how to get money off it. sorry but i gradually get the feeling that you’re just kidding

1 BigUp

Ok. I can agree with that. To be honest, i hardly ever think about music and money in the same thought session. Only when i think of using a talent to gain better living conditions for me and my mom. The first thing i think about when i think about my future in music is releasing competitive aggression. Proving people wrong. Raising the bar. Enlightening people. And then i think about moving to another state and having more than enough money.

Im not kidding. Just ignorant. I dont have access to a computer and my phone screen is too small watch tutorials. I just thought that waiting until i could do thngs hands-on that i should wait because i get uneasy in those sort of situations. I already said that i would look it up, anyways.

The word mai.stream is disgusting.

I agree, it’s really overused these days.

But thats only because of the shitty artists that dont give a fuck about music.

They seem to give a fuck about music in some way since most of them have spent years or decades before on it before getting really famous.

Do they actually think they are talented?

Wanna explain what you mean by “talent”? If an artist who you consider talented would make a track that sounds like some commercial artist-X, does that make him less talented? If some commercial artist would decide to make a track that sounds like some artist you consider talented, does he become more talented that way?

1 BigUp

How ignorant of me to think just knowing what good music sounds like would suffice until i had software. Ill admit that was stupid on my part.

Hm. Well i always categorize mainstream people together. No matter the genre. I think quality tells what kind of person you are and how much you care about music. When i said no one gave a fuck i was picturing most of the famous people making fun of music. So basically what youre saying is, all those years of hard work and they think they have finally found the perfect sound? Take 1d for instance. Do they sound like they do because of hard work or just ignorance on how good music sounds?

At the end of the day, music is subjective.

And. Wow. My first koan. Are you the mentor ive been searching for all this time?

Well. You have a point. I guess i shouldve chosen a different semtence to explain my point. Hows about, “Do they really think their music is good?”