I want advice on gaining skills as a producer

I see what youre saying but i see a lot of “artists” that dont put a lot of effort into their tracks. “Oh HEY MAN I JUST RECORDED MYSELF FARTIN!” “REALLY?! LEMME PUT A VERSE ON THAT SHIT, AND YOU PUT SOME AUTOTUNE ON THAT SHIT!” “KOOL MAN AND I CANT FORGET TO LOOP THIS BEAT CAUSE DONT NOBODY WANNA HEAR PROGRESSIVE MUSIC!”

What’s going off in here?

4 Likes

Nothing. Just conversation. Im being schooled. Actually sort of fun. I assume its apart of my musical origins. And ill have to thank many of these people for the arguments they put up. They make me think.

Fetty Wap - Trap Queen (Official Video) Prod. By…: http://youtu.be/i_kF4zLNKio

This subjective (technically is) or just horrible with little effort put in?

Out of curiosity, what kind of music are you into, or rather what kind of artists do you typically listen to

or this? Well i actually start moving when i hear this because mike-will seems to be very talented. So are the rappers and singers but their SUBJECT matter. I just hate it. When producers think looping. Is good enough. Hardly anything new these days.

Mostly electronic. Lately, ive been listening to a lot of drum and bass. Im currently trying to learn what makes jungle jungle. If its not IDM or edm then its some kind of rock. Indie or alternative. Dont know the differemce yet. After that is the occasional listen to hip hop(which reminds me, i need to look up oldschool hip hop cause i tend to like it) because i like the way the flow of the rapper goes with the beat. Mike-will seems to be the most promising. And then everything else rarely gets listened to but i will listen to reggae or classical. I just dont. Im not ready to spread out yet. I wanna learn a lot about electronic right. I plan on getting into the old psychedelic stuff too.

a) Get a good book on music technology/production.
b) Go to university for something with industry demand like accounting or nursing.

Back when Wub posted, he said it takes 10 years and 100 tunes to get released. I’ve made over 100 tunes in three years and am still not released, so buckle in.

Music is just one kind of intelligence and not “any idiot” can be what you call “book smart.” You have to be literate and have a good memory. Kind of ironic that you ask for us to share our knowledge, then call the knowledgeable “idiots.”

You come across as articulate, so I presume you do well in school etc. I would just recommend you broaden your definition of intelligence. If intelligence was just music + logic I might be considered a genius, but I’m usually not. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 BigUp

Ive recently just found a home with the music of koan sound, asa, sorrow, and culprate. And MORE recently just got into drum and bass very deeply. Ive always liked it. Just now. Things are more intense. So now i live with reso and possibly billain and phaze. Bjork has become an interest of mine. So has portishead and radiohead. And grimes. I just havent found the strength to put as much effort into their music as the electronic producers.

Ok then. But couldnt you name some jobs that pay well AND are fun? Somewhat? Shit. How hard is it to be the person that picks the music for movies?

They dont get paid much?

You realise there is more to film music than just choosing songs you like right?

I wasnt calling anyone on here an idiot. But i see why you took it that way. i didnt mean it like that.

Of course. Im not that dumb.

:joy:

you might not, but you surely are still wet behind the ears

I think a director would do that. There’s more of a career in composing for film, but it is around as competitive as dance music.

That was unnecessary dude or dudette. Ive already said that so you repeating it comes off as an insult.

And what do you mean by quality? I can’t think of any area where commercial music “loses” to underground music in terms of quality. If you’re talking about being original, that’s a completely different thing, debating about how somebody isn’t original is like shooting yourself in a foot.

So basically what youre saying is, all those years of hard work and they think they have finally found the perfect sound?

I don’t know about anything called “perfect sound”, but it’s just a fact that if you practice something for long enough, you get good at it. And One Direction is really like the worst possible example. Most of their fans are probably 10 year old girls who just like how “they’re are so cute” etc. etc. So it’s really their fans who don’t probably give a damn what sort of music they make, it’s not 1d’s fault, like it’s the case with many artists. Do I like 1d? Fuck no, but it just means that their music is bad IN MY OPNION. It doesn’t mean it couldn’t sound good to somebody else. They’re not ignorant of how their music sounds, they just like it that way, or they just enjoy doing it like many other artist both commercial and non-commercial and don’t give it that much thought.

brother no hard feelings! how is your age an insult. its just a fact that youre very young and you also present yourself that way.