INWYK on The Internet Thread

Music By Analias

How’s the internet working out for you, Stu?

2 Likes

not very well mks !

1 BigUp

What is in a viral video MKS ?

in your opinion…

I have no idea m8.

mate

1 BigUp

no bandcamp anymore

just seen this i like it !!
apt !!

check the channel for more likes this**

Suppose this ones actually a bit of an oddity on the channel but hey ho, (the ones in all white are fresh up like now) :slight_smile:

1 luv i guess

IHello people

Come across as a right fuxktard in this thread…just read back my response to your question @mks sorry man went right up my own arse tryna explain the fact I don’t get on too well with the internet, that’s the top n bottom of it really…

Posting in here today to see what people’s thoughts are to buying music digitally… I’ve got 14 tracks mastered but don’t have the money ATM to press up vinyl…it seems a shame to let this thing I’ve got in my head about something having to be on vinyl to be a “proper” release hold back from people having the music + hold back from me making any money off it as it seems as though there are some people who do pretty well through sites like bandcamp and Juno…though half of these mastered tracks are on YouTube so in my head people pretty much have the music already anyway…would you buy something digitally at all and one step further would you buy something digitally that you could already just flick on YouTube …??

Guess this question is aimed at the heads really so excuse me calling people out, would be nice if I could get a response of a couple of you as I’m in a bit of a rut with it all really… @cyclopian @111 @Samuel_L_Damnson @TrendyGrime @Riddles @_ronzlo @Hibbie @Test @lloydnoise @hubb @jojodog12 @Johnlenham @ all of yous really

“Bless”

1 BigUp

i think all musicians should have main jobs and not earn from music

but bandcamp seems the most reasonable thing

we need netflix for music

1 BigUp

Yeah, Bandcamp is a decent option because they have the highest artist percentages afaik.

I buy digital tunes occasionally, especially when I want the artist to keep doing what they do.

Have you done any label submissions? Be careful and get it all in writing, but it can’t hurt to try. The advantage there is distribution.

Licensing is another possible option to fund vinyl runs.

1 BigUp

just put out what you want to, enjoy the process, chill on the money side or it will never come

3 Likes

Well, if they can pull it off just making music and performing then good for them.

1 BigUp

The thing about making music for a living: you have to work very fucking hard - talent aside.

Only the disciplined and proactive even come close and even they scrape by usually, especially if you release all original material and don’t do a lot of live stuff.

There can be some money in merch, but imo the amount of merchandise an act sells should be roughly proportionate to how good they are. A lot of acts sell too much stuff lol.

But image and branding can definitely help if approached wisely and not too amateurishly. Think about all the bands brilliant enough to come up with a logo that any 8th grader can draw on their binder cover… Misfits, Van Halen, Deadmaus…

2 Likes

It’s also a lot down to luck imo

I read recently about ‘the hiding hand’ principle as well, where someone underestimates the cost (effort) of doing something and encounters unexpected difficulties but creatively overcomes them. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiding_hand_principle

If you’re going to do it it’s going to take up your whole, or most of, your life. If you enjoy what you’re doing it’s not a problem. My Master’s is a pain in the arse but I’ve got around 50% of it done now and I think it was worth doing even though at times I’ve wondered wtf I’m really doing.

Yeah most English teachers in Japan are here to do other things but can’t get a visa or make a living off it. I know people who make movies and all sorts off stuff, people with PhDs in random fields…

Fuck the cosplayers though, they give the rest of us a bad name

theres also aswell as ronzlos comment

the bit where an artist has to experience life to be able to talk about it

if you do the bedroom thing or go for the hermit artist way
then you kind of only have inspiration from the last time you were visiting proper society

because you can kind of tour/ perform too old stuff and remain in the past until its too late

and on a moral level they just dont deserve the pay and could turn into bad people down the line