INWYK on The Internet Thread

new to this community rap artist here

Ay up you lot,

Thnx for getting back about thisā€¦

I dunno what I was doin callin people out when I wasnā€™t really in a position to process/respond to responsesā€¦ durrrr

Attention seeking internet guilt inducing blerughh whatever it was I dunno, I dunnoā€¦I just donā€™t know :----/

Been on here most days since, witnessing both the rise and fall of Moth memeā€™sā€¦just havenā€™t had the mental clarity to post anything that actually addressed what you guys responded withā€¦felt a bit crappy the old ā€œthanks guysā€ yā€™knowā€¦

@hubb - id love to be back working again, pfft pfft pffftā€¦but as it stands a day job just isnā€™t happening for me, Iā€™m not really fussed about making money from music as in that is definitely not what drives me to sit down n make stuffā€¦ but if others are doing so I donā€™t see the harm in it reallyā€¦guess it was just a bit of wishful thinking at the time like ā€œarr wouldnā€™t it be nice to get some money for this musicā€ not so much ā€œright letā€™s get on reason n see if I can moneytize my sample packsā€

Netflix for music, guess thatā€™s just Spotify isnā€™t it ? Or do you not have to pay subscription for Spotify ?.. or were you trolling? Have I been trolledā€¦

@_ronzlo - I gave bandcamp a whirl with these tracks, sold a few ā€œcopiesā€ ā€¦ I dunno tho itā€™s just frustratingā€¦ I donā€™t know how to direct people to the page without it being spamā€¦ aside from my
brief internet singularity in the first post , just havenā€™t got it in me to be running a Facebook, twitter, instagram, bandcamp, soundcloud ā€¦ mainly cos them platforms tend to make me feel/think horrible things about myself and others :-@

As for label submissions, funny one I guessā€¦ Iā€™ve sent a load offā€¦ to most ā€œbigā€ labels though more often than not it been just me sending music to get into DJs ā€œhandsā€ never really too sincerely/politely/ it obviously just a ā€œhey, you seem to be putting out vinyl + are a popular label in all the blogs, here Is some musicā€ which is just pretty lazy n Shiiteā€¦

In an ideal world I just want to do it myself like my favourite people seem to have (Omar-s being the best example for that really, not too much fuss in terms of promo, seems to just press the records, get them distributed well) aside from getting the funds together for manufacture, it seems distributors require you to have plans for how your gonna promote your musicā€¦besides getting DJs to spin the tracks Iā€™m not really inclined to do much more to promote a label. Itā€™s not like I want some massive label/lifestyle brand, I just want to get the bastard vinyl into shopsā€¦i dunno if Iā€™m comfortable Tryna create fanfare around anything, let alone my own music :-1: seeing people spend weeks upon weeks teasing things and that through soundcloud n twitter n facebook n instagram is horrible :frowning: itā€™s relentlessā€¦

there was one dude/label I badgered, which is well annoying for him and embarrassing for me realllyā€¦ so I tend to avoid demo submissions for the most partā€¦

When you say licensing do you mean like getting things synced to movies/adverts ?? Please could you explain a bit more about thisā€¦

@lloydnoise - nice one Lloyd :slight_smile: not letting the money bother me, I am interested in how it becomes a possibility to make music from it tho and after spending a couple hundred quid having them tracks mastered it would be Nice to make a bit backā€¦if only to get more mastered !

@Test had not heard of the hiding hand thing, thank you, i canā€™t claim to have full understanding of the concept/idea but from what I make it out to be itā€™s something that became apparent a few years ago, after getting over the dicking about on the computer for a few hours every day it really requires hard work and realising that this creative thing, if I wanted it to go anywhere was gonna require a lot of time sitting at the computer fiddling with technicalities when I really didnā€™t want to, working essentiallyā€¦that was one realisationā€¦the other was/is how much dick needs to be sucked in reality to promote things / get things heardā€¦ thatā€™s the hard part really :-/ sucking the PR machines dick ā€¦

what are you doing a masters in ?? I realised the other day that I donā€™t even understand this whole masters /PhD thing fullyā€¦ do you HAVE to write an original idea/thesis/teaching within a certain field or is is it like a continuation on school where you learn things and then do tests at the end or a combination of the two ??

@cyclopian - not sure if there is a definitive answerā€¦ I rekon I make better stuff when working cos I have to be a bit more efficient time wise and get ideas downā€¦be a bit more ā€œprofessionalā€ ā€¦ but itā€™s the hours spent in the wilderness of being the jobless propellerheads Picasso that allow the quick excecufion of ideas when making stuff after workā€¦

@Trap_Harmony - welcome to dsf, I suggest migrating to another thread unless the rantings and ravings of raving ranting raver are what you wanna rap about !
P.s send us some vocals can have a go at putting them on some music if you like ?

Cheers you lot, sorry for the slow one, better late than never, what a crap saying ! Better never than late i rekon ā€¦

4 Likes

My masterā€™s is in applied linguistics, which was my 3rd choice after neuropsychopharmacology and psycholnguistics lol it was basically the only thing I thought I could study to get me away from teaching English. My program is research orientated but I donā€™t have to do much to get data because I can use published texts (so a bit of armchair philosophy, if you like). I could go out and make my own recordings of speech but Iā€™m too lazyā€¦ I have to do a dissertation because itā€™s a research-focused degree and I hit on a topic while I was on acid the other day so hopefully it wonā€™t be laughed at by my supervisor. Some TESOL/TEFL masterā€™s donā€™t have a dissertation because theyā€™re more practical and less geared towards grand theorising so I know a couple of people who just had/will have a test at the end (which Iā€™m pretty fucking jealous about because theyā€™ll graduate earlier after doing less work, fuckers).

What masterā€™s/PhDs are for depends on the field but generally a masterā€™s seems to be designed to give you a proper grounding in research or practical skills so you can do stuff yourself while a PhD is just you doing research yourself to try and discover some kind of new concept or whatever. You donā€™t technically need a masterā€™s to do a PhD if you have a bachelorā€™s but it helps, and some institutions force you to do one so you require less supervision if you really do want to do PhD. Some PhD course application committees give preference to people with masterā€™s too so I suppose itā€™s kind of required de facto really.

You should check out psychoacoustics though and I really recommend Dan Levitinā€™s book ā€œThis Is Your Brain On Musicā€!

1 BigUp

Stick to a smallish run at first, and make sure you do a good job of promo (online is good but radio and local too depending on where youā€™re based - but donā€™t spam or hassle obviously), keep costs low, do your own artwork as long as its not bait, get good distro and network with people. If the run is small, youā€™ve spread the word and have a decent distribution deal you should be able to shift and make a profit if you did your maths right.
But donā€™t listen to me I lost bare money releasing tunes :lol_og:

1 BigUp

not trolling. Just a thought.

SC changed music media imo
netflix changed film and tv

just that sort of logic

spotify is more like itunes shop or something where you rent something and pay some shitty swedish people lol

tidals the same innit - like middleclass bank music rental

lol im babbling

1 BigUp

@Test - !

Thanks for the run down :slight_smile:

so Iā€™m guessing applied linguistics would be useful for specifically being a translator or have I misinterpreted n is there another field thatā€™s more suited ??

The difference in emotional stimulation on a chemical level must be pretty profound as a direct result of language in contrasting culturesā€¦ the root and cause of the mutations would be fascinating to know about tooā€¦butā€¦and a very big butā€¦Iā€™m way out of my depth tryna comprehend such things !

btw this isnā€™t you John is it ?? I briefly knew one person who was over teaching in Japan who used to be on the forumā€¦hello if so ! Ignore if not !

@lloydnoise - nice one Lloydā€¦ thank you for the direction :slight_smile:

Shit to hear you lost money putting stuff out, pain in the assā€¦when was your last release ?

@hubb - thanks ! I hate being trolled I can never tell :-s no probs with babbling Iā€™m literally a babbling wreck nowadaysā€¦

It seems like Netflix has been VV profitable for not just themselves but new directors and actors - judging by all the new content that comes upā€¦ it would be nice to think the creators of the shows they licence were being paid well tooā€¦canā€™t imagine they areā€¦

Music streaming is funny, itā€™s obviously the norm nowadays and I canā€™t really argue with how convienient it isā€¦ just canā€™t help thinking that so many great records of the past would never have come to fruition had music streaming been the norm back thenā€¦as nice as it is to think the money doesnā€™t matter, thereā€™s loadsa labels that without money made from physical sales would have just foldedā€¦ my brains not working well enough right now to get into it deeperā€¦

See!! Babbling on too !!

Translation is one part of it but itā€™s a really varied field. For example you can mix social psychology in with analyses of ideological discourses to assess its intent. Cognitive linguistics is more for emotion I suppose, but I think itā€™s pretty badly named as it doesnā€™t deal with ā€˜cognitionā€™ as such, more metaphysical description (like what language really describes). There has been a fair bit of work recently on words that donā€™t exist in English, though really it should be thought of as linguistically ā€˜uniqueā€™ descriptors to avoid being anglo-centric.

ha no worries, and the label was years ago, like too many for me to remember. We splashed out for 180grm vinyls and Pantone colouring for everything, great record but not a profit maker

Bro ! That sounds like heavy workā€¦

I was gonna google ideological discourse and try and come back with something meaningful but itā€™s just a bit false to pretend I can keep up with such discussionā€¦Id just be chatting out of my **** !

Do you make music ?? Imagine itā€™s hard to find the time with your studies/work but f**k me I bet youā€™d make some DEEP stuff !!

Thanks for the book recommendation too btw, I bought it over the weekend, should be with me this week :handshake:

1 BigUp

Ahh well at least youā€™ve contributed an artifact to history ! A sexy Pantone one at that, havenā€™t heard the music though guessing it canā€™t of been too bad for you to :sweat_drops: On the manufacture !

http://discourses.org/ <<< Free academic articles and stuff!

This guyā€™s well renowned for his work analysing discourses and it was pretty fundamental for my last essayā€¦ I analysed the Communist Manifesto lol

Thank you comrade ! :):slight_smile:

I put some veebeos on the internet not long agoā€¦

1 BigUp

Fuck, solid stuff there

Carry on like this and youā€™ll have to leave the forum lol

Ayy nice onee, they ainā€™t too hot but Iā€™m glad you like them, thank you :slight_smile:

I will never leave, not even it Iā€™m playing the new acts tent at the Wolverhampton festivus !

Couple more

2 Likes