London's clubland woes

The harringay industrial estate between seven sisters and green lanes has bare empty warehouse space, studios and squats been going to raves and parties there for time

2 Likes

Sucks guys
Midwest Cornfield Raves ftw
edit also all the good venues are in the fucking gheeetttooooo so no one cares

Blackdown has started a petition against Hackney licensing laws;

myfirstrave was up that way about 10 years ago. Properly buried in the industrial area near Tottenham Hale somewhere. Do you reckon a legit space would work around there? Really is the arse end of nowhere

Rye Wax would be my guess

Yeah I could see that

Much more accessible than peckham or hackney wick. I live in n4 so I’m a bit biased. But so easy to get to via seven sisters manor house or finsbury park.
Especially with the night tube. Blackhorse road station is near loads of old industrial land near the leading valley canal that could also host venues

There was this place that closed last year - https://www.residentadvisor.net/club.aspx?id=8808

Being from Edmonton I’d favour any spot north of the river but yeah, there are a lot of small venues and big warehouse spots around Finsbury Park/Tottenham that could work. Not sure if it would be legally possible but those bashment raves in those venues on Seven Sisters road seem to go on till 7/8 with no-one batting an eyelid lol.

Shame about Dance Tunnel - was a great venue for dubstep imo. This night was big

Will that petition do much? If Dance Tunnel were somehow able to get the 1/2 hour extension on the license, wouldn’t every other venue in Dalston do the same (a council nightmare)?

Reggae Roast has just moved to Tottenham. Jah Shaka’s been playing there for a bit as well. There is a place called New River Studios in Manor House which hosts experimental gigs, some super noisy stuff although I don’t know about longer nights there. It’s a warehouse with studios, bar with kitchen and a little venue in what is basically just a plain room. Bring your own sound system type I would assume, they might have something permanent there as well.

But, Green Lanes are getting a bit fancy so down Tottenham would be a likely direction, in North anyway.

2 Likes

Good to hear there’s things bubbling. I guess when hearing about clubs shutting down we tend to think ‘the end is nigh’ but underground music has always had to battle adversity, thrives off of it even.

My only experience with Tottenham was a weird one. Got to know this irish girl who was studying vet med in London; she invited me over for an adult sleepover; I left the next afternoon. Feeling still a bit hung-over, I felt like drinking a beer and stumbled into this shitty pub down the street. Filled to the brim with old men shouting at the telly because their team was playing. Spurs won 2-0 or something and two old geezers paid my tab.

2 Likes

C’mon you Spurs!

1 BigUp

Green Lanes and Seven Sisters turned fancy. Who’d have funk it 10-15 years ago eh?

Yeah, remember my landlord telling me that it used to be nice when they bought this flat in 70’s. Then shit got rough - there was even a road barrier nearby Endymion road, cars checked for drugs etc. before you were allowed to enter. Apparently there were serious issues with the coke business, probably more than that.

Now we’ve got a good balance of Turkish mafia and a random mix of folk, new pavement, every second shop front has been refurbished, and off licence sell organic food. I’ve however noticed an increase in homeless per m2 lately; guess the true gentrification starts when the council decides to “clean” the streets, ain’t that right, Hackney?

the turks in North London pretty much run the heroin trade in london since like the 90s. I wonder how many of the shops on green lanes are money laundering fronts.
So jokes during the riots when all the turks came out to guard the businesses with pool qs and kebab knifes from stokey to tottenham

Yeah man, I felt pretty safe where I live. We should have a picnic in Finsbury Park one day!

Re money laundering, I’m certain on that. How the two “Hot nuts” shops would survive on the same street otherwise. They literally sell only nuts and seeds in different forms, haha.

1 BigUp

Maybe wait for summer first snh picnic tho

1 BigUp

SADIQ KHAN, CANDIDATE, MAYOR OF LONDON

I don’t want young and creative Londoners abandoning our city to head to Amsterdam, to Berlin, to Prague where clubs are supported and allowed to flourish. I want them to be able to celebrate what they love in the city that they love, rather than punish them or force their activities underground or abroad. That is why, if elected London Mayor, I will address these problems head on.

Too many bars and clubs have been forced to close because they can’t afford to soundproof their premises once new residential developments have been built nearby. By introducing something called the ‘agent of change’ principle, the cost of soundproofing will fall on housing developers rather than venues. This is a simple measure but will have a massive effect on smaller, independent bars and clubs who often aren’t able to afford the costs involved.

I will learn from Mirik Milan in Amsterdam. The work he is doing to unite businesses, residents and local authorities to support the night-time economy in a way that benefits everyone is something I want to replicate in London. I will therefore appoint a ‘Night Czar’ who will be a strong voice of support in City Hall for London’s vibrant night-time economy.

London is famous for its diverse and varied offering of music venues, gay bars and historic pubs. During my campaign, the Royal Vauxhall Tavern put on a Kylie themed fundraiser called Khan’t Get You Out of My Head. It was a great night but even the RVT, the oldest gay venue in London, was under threat of closure until a campaign saved it. I know that this is a common occurrence. A third of London’s small music venues have closed since 2007, damaging our city’s cultural offering and having a negative effect on jobs and the economy. I will make it more difficult for redevelopment to result in the closure of heritage and cultural venues by strengthening the London Plan.

I want London to be a 24 hour city so I will make the night tube a priority. We have waited too long for the promises made by the previous Mayor to become a reality, but ensuring it is up and running as quickly as possible once I am in City Hall will be invaluable in helping to save London’s night life. We can save London’s iconic club scene, which draws thousands of visitors to the capital, generates jobs and helps ensure our city remains prosperous, vibrant and dynamic. I will be the Mayor to do just that.

Early days, but that is a great mission statement by the big man Khan. Let’s see how things go.

1 BigUp

London is now officially the worst for everything. :frowning: