Minimalism / Self Restrictions - Why it Sounds Good & is Hard to do Well

There are different kInds of minimalism too: many people automatically think that means an overall reduction in elements, but sometimes those remaining elements tend to get busier - or louder - in the space that results, leading a song to just sound clunkier or more basic instead of elegantly simple.

It’s really about restraint IMO; maximum expression from minimal ingredients. A culinary dish doesn’t have to have 30 ingredients in order to be delicious… Sometimes an unusual but tasteful pairing of two or three ingredients results in a spectacular meal.

2 Likes

Minimalistic and repetitive is what it’s all about man. Your imagination fills in the blanks.

Turn this up loud in a mostly empty club and wait for that fucked up snare to hit
the concrete.

2 Likes

For me there are at least two types of minimal…that too-on-purpose cool guy minimal and then…not sure how I’d get the other kind down…like I agree the second example track in the OP is minimal in many senses.

I guess most of my first post in this thread is just about people bloating tracks with too much garbage and why I think it happens. I’m not really directly addressing “minimal” as a genre or “minimalism” as a philosophy.

For me, typically, the best kind of “minimal” music uses as few elements as possible to achieve the desired emotional effect. Often times variations on these elements are the key to it working so well. A song can be minimal in a lot of different ways I think is one problem. I really like a song that has a uber simple hook, but uses varied timbre to keep it interesting. To me that is one of the things electronic music does really well in general. I like rhythmic, melodic and harmonic repetition that stays fresh because of sonic manipulation. Which might also include “slicing” and “rearranging” in a DAW/sampler sense/audio editor sense, though that is not timbre exactly.

Like take the least amount of audible ingredients as possible and make it interesting for as long as possible.

I dunno. I’m rambling and possibly taking the thread in a bad direction lol.

2 Likes

I think that is pretty accurate. Not totally. I think I’m using the term a little more “correctly” (no flex). But I think I’m dwelling on the minimal part of the message, where as lye is more about paring stuff down, generally.

But I think that Levon Vincent track is what I’m talking about in terms of that stone faced minimal affect. For me it crosses over that line of being a pared back, elemental track, to being merely a stylistically minimal exercise. :skull:

Argh.

This is hard to talk about, because it is so central to art making.

What is necessary is very subjective, like I like tracks with four layers of string synths doing a chord progression over fast and intricate beats with a couple of lead lines working around each other in counterpoint, all orchestrated in a fast paced moving arrangement.

Then I like, like, a hip hop beat that is some drums and a single string sample chopped… and like just the instrumental version, the vocals taken out, leaving that huge negative space.

It is all good. Art’s too fucking tricky to try and hold down into one position. But Lye’s notion is a good thing to be thinking about when producing, imo, totally right, good things can happen when you erase, when you leave things incomplete. It is just a good perspective to look at your work with, SOMETIMES.

I’d still like to hear more, this issue is very interesting to me, and is an actual topic worthy of thought and discussion in production. Like Frag said, forums can be a time hole, but you can’t dismiss their educational value, like being enriched through the exchange of ideas. I incorporate shit I learn here and elsewhere ALL the time into my work, whether it be silly quotes from a video, to beat structures from a posted track I’ve never heard, or the application of a conceptual framework like this.

White Thumbs Up.

2 Likes

Syncopation.

Yes, but likewise, a dish can have 30 ingredients and be delicious. It is why talking about this distinction is either useless or highly informative. :confused:

We can talk or not talk for hours…

2 Likes

That track is just sick, though.

Though, it’d only be at a 7 on the international minimalism in music scale.

I get what you’re saying.
I figured we weren’t talking Terry Riley shit and stuff. Although I can appreciate that as well.

Guess its needs to be engaging. Could be as minimal as just pressing one note at a time… if its got a groove or something your brain can latch on to it has potential.

Minimal techno seems to be quite progressive, so it changes over the whole tune… good minimal dubstep seems to be harder cause its not only minimal but repetitive. I guess then you need something instantly recognisable which Loefah managed perfectly.

Think that was the downfall of dungeon, instead of it being ‘musically’ recognisable it focused more on instantly recognisable samples from films. It works, but its not great music imo. Novelty wears off quicker.

1 BigUp

Re: vinyl crackles.

I have to say fake vinyl crackles really cracks me up. I guess it is just the result of the era we live in with all of the sample packs and whatnot. I used do all of my sampling off of vinyl, and pops and crackles were just the natural byproduct of that.

I was thinking that if you pressed to vinyl, people might complain about “surface noise.”

1 BigUp

As far as minimalism is concerned, as long as there is some subtle variations, it can be done well. But I’ve heard some real boring stuff too. At the record store I used to work at, we had a whole minimal techno section there.

Oh yeah, Rothko is a don.

1 BigUp

hahaha fuck off

this painting though :scream: is somewhat minimalist aswell but there’s purpose and no excuses

I fucking hate movie quotes in electronic music…shit is SO played out…the only one I can even appreciate from recent times I think was from a Distance choon where he took something from a documentary on Dub…it was in a Distance mix at the least that “Were the engineer becomes the artists” thing…

In all history 90% of tunes with popular movie samples are relying 100% on people recognizing the sample then the tune disappoints…

1 BigUp

1 BigUp

THAT is how you get lengman.

I like quotes when the shit they say is what the song is about. Like it is integral to the song. But I like cryptic media quotes, not like obvious shit to trigger recognition for the mouthbreathers.

1 BigUp

@fragments That ‘dub is where the engineer becomes the artist’ sample is in Las & Gantz - Firepusher :smile:

Dont mind dialogue samples as long as they add something and arent a crutch for the tune to lean on

1 BigUp

It’s like guitar solos: if you do it every fuckin’ song, and it’s always in the same spot, and it’s all fucking “ooooh scary lookout for badman booga booga!” - then it plays itself out fast and becomes a joke. A sample is just another instrument. Does it need to be there to move the song somewhere? No? Ok, no need for it then. Mix it up a little pplz. There’s a time and a place for everything (except orchestra hits, fuck those.)