Monitors for mixing (not production)

Yeah loads of stuff is worth buying south if you live close to the border.

Currently rearranging my setup and bought some wall brackets for me Genelecs 8040
Debating weather to have the tweeters ear height so the monitors are square or weather to raise them and angle the tweeters down to ears.

Obviously wont be sitting down because it is for standing up.

Got a bit of an reverberated room even with treatement so would it be best to angle them down so the sound isnā€™t travelling square to the room instead angled to hit the rug on the floor? Would look aesthetically more pleasing up higher and angled down instead of really low down aswell.

Thoughts?

Probs not easy but if possible Iā€™d try them in the different positions and see which sounds best. The tweeters on nearfields like these will have a narrow ā€˜focusā€™ (for want of a better word) so you do want them pointing at your ears pretty much. You can also mount genelecs in a horizontal orientation which might suit your room better, the ones on my decks I have horizontal cos it sounded better in that room.

Maybe i didnā€™t explain well.
Both options i am saying are having the tweeters point towarda ears.
Just wondeing weather to have them facing forward square to the wall or up heighet and angled down, again both options tweeters directed at ears

yeah i understood, i was just waffling on lol. The angle down might help with ur room, but if poss try both positions (lower and square/higher and angled) to see which sounds better

1 BigUp

The tweeters on these Genelecs actually have a pretty big dispersion angle.
Thanks in part to this big boy:

My gut tells me itā€™d be better to mount them facing down, limiting the amplitude
of early reflections, but Iā€™m not 100% on this.

I have the wall mounts and donā€™t use them, but you were probably able to pick them
up for cheaps non?

2 Likes

Nice one, thought so regarding the reflections plus they look better than sitting half way down the room.

Got them from here:

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Koenig-Meyer-Genelec-8000-402B-Wall-Mount-for-8000-Series/art-REC0009348-000

Still pricey but everywhere else was about Ā£80-Ā£90 each

Ah yeaaah

Now the shit part is taking all the vinyl out the expidit and moving it

2 Likes

fix that cattywampus stand on on the left one tho :lebebe:

The rubber feet?? Jus took em off completely now

1 BigUp

Up and running

On the right where guitar amp is is where yhe expidit was previously. The speakers were on that shelf, didnā€™t like that the speakers were in that recess part of room also too tight a squeeze mixing with someone, now can stand at sides etc.

Getting another expidit to go where the old one went cause i still got vinyl in boxes, obb gotta tidy cables, cut rug etc but much better now! :razz:

5 Likes

upload that dorothy ashby album to youtube, someoneā€™s taken it offline

Bumping this - any suggestions on speakers for listening/djing purposes that also look nice? :cornlol:
currently got rokits but the missus finds them hideous.

Was thinking about Bowers & Wilkens (oak ones here https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-gb/home-audio/600-series-anniversary/607) or possibly JBL (super expensive though).

Budget I guess up to a grand

Youā€™re looking at passive speakers then?
What JBLā€™s were you looking at? Because I reckon they make more cheaper models than b&w?
b&w is pretty high end, Iā€™ve only really heard floor standing models though.

You can also consider Acoustic Energy and Dali.

Rokits are definitely hideous, sheā€™s a keeper.

Cheers, indeed Iā€™m looking for passive speakers. My entire setup is due for an overhaulā€¦ new decks, possibly new mixer and new speakers.

JBL L82ā€™s look great but theyā€™re currently wayyyy out of budget. Iā€™ve seen some affordable 4312Mā€™s on ebay but I donā€™t know how the sound.

I donā€™t mind the sound of the Rokitā€™s but it could be better :grimacing: theyā€™ve served me well over the years.

Will look into the brands youā€™ve suggested