Need pro advice for starting to buy gear to produce dubstep/subgenre

I use studio one and really like it, easy workflow in my opinion and pretty good for mixing, lacks a bit on the MIDI part and the built in synths imo

its worth giving it a go, got it for pretty cheap on a black friday a few years ago so now could be a good time to check it out

1 BigUp

I got it for free off their site. Itā€™s a basic version but seems to be really feature-rich and itā€™s not time limited so fingers crossed I can figure it all out!!

Imagine your girlfriends dad dies and you are likeā€¦ ā€œwe should spend the money you get on synths and stuff yeah?ā€

3 Likes

Itā€™s cookie monster all over again

Not sure if this helps anyone or not but here is my own experience:

1 year ago I started out making loops on my computer using LMMS when I had just my PC and earpods, and importing them to my ipad and using them in garage band (before I knew what there are actually demos), made really crapy songs that donā€™t flow at allā€¦ fast forward half a yearā€¦ I get FL Studio and a MIDI keyboardā€¦ Fast forward to now, my fellow producer friend lent me his audio interface and a set of monitors.

I HAVE SPENT A TOTAL OF 50$ AND THAT WAS JUST FOR MY MIDI KEYBOARD!

Here are my main tips
samples arenā€™t everything, I donā€™t suggest buying sample packs, download free ones.
I donā€™t know how many times I have been disappointed in a sample pack, donā€™t buy them for the bass loops or the synth loops, drums are ok. But still, free ones are still ok.
learn how to use a software synth (subtractive, additive, FM, granular)
before you buy anything download a demo of a DAW and make sure you like producing
Once your sure, but a set of monitors, a daw, and importantly, an audio interface (helps a lot) and optionally a midi keyboard (I have a 2 octave range keyboard (sufficient) and it costs around 50$)
it may be necessary to pirate software sometimes, especially if you donā€™t have the coinage. But its best if you buy it as soon as possible.

Hope that helps someone :slight_smile:

1 BigUp