Orchestral (&) Dubstep

I designed every growl and high pitch synths with massive. Actually i designed every sound in dub part. But how to add good violin and string sounds

Cool song man, really chill rather ambient feeling and cool sound designs.

You didnā€™t add question mark but i assume that was an question? I personally just love Action Strings from Native Instruments with all my heart and i mostly do my violin stuff with those. Also some amount of Session Strings for continuous violin/cello type of stuff but mostly Action Strings for those fast tadadan-dan-dan type of stuff, and sometimes Emotive Strings.

1 BigUp

Edit. The track iā€™m working on right now isnā€™t as good as i tested it out on my car speakers, boy do i suck at mixing and mastering, Maybe too many layers of sounds yet again also or something. Well got to keep trying. Ainā€™t that easy to create an fully good track. Maybe i shall not publish it at all if i donā€™t get it through to an label but rather try to fix it until someone likes it. Choices are hard. Also i should keep working on some orchestral pieces, not just EDM

@ShadowRaz thnx man for your advice. I like your idea. Because i also like to do experiment with my music.

1 BigUp

I need advice, uploaded a sum up screen capture video to youtube, i sent the .wav audio file of the full project on the video:

to Monstercat but they were not interested on it and i am pondering what is wrong with it, I have already fixed few things on it but no idea how to proceed. Should i just grind this particular project until it goes through? or just start up with other stuff?

Thereā€™s lots of stuff going on which isnā€™t always a bad thing, but in this case it kinda makes the song sound unfocused. Also, the mix/sound design/song structure isnā€™t even close to monstercat standards.

True, just been working on the growl designs of the verse which were really awful by making them more drone like, also worked slightly already on EQ and mixing of everything. But what should i start taking out or changing for example on your opinion so that it wouldnā€™t be unfocused? and can you be more precise about the structure? and have any idea of labels that would accept basically this kind of music but only improved? or should i just start changing stuff a lot and keep on going for the cat?

But what should i start taking out or changing for example on your opinion so that it wouldnā€™t be unfocused?

and can you be more precise about the structure?

This is like 33% arrangement, 33% mixing and 33% sound design thing, but those strings drown other stuff thatā€™s going on. That piano is too loud. Drums (like I already said) donā€™t cut through, except for the kick. Iā€™m not gonna go into individual notes and things like fills or places where some variation could be introduced. Thereā€™s no point, because I would probably remove & change half of the song right away (itā€™s about the taste). And the structure: 1. Thereā€™s no hook. 2. Thereā€™s no hook. 3. Melody isnā€™t catchy (thereā€™s no hook). 4. Drop doesnā€™t have impact (because thereā€™s pretty much same amount of stuff going on before it). 5. Several tempo changes during the song (nightmare for DJs).

Itā€™s technically impressing if you have many different melodies playing at the same time and the song works, but usually it doesnā€™t sound that good to most of the people.

I agree, maybe take something from there and base a new tune around it and try to make sure there is something that is a FEATURE of the song, as mentioned earlier u can obviously write music so now u just have to try and restrain yourself. I think you are writing too much music aha

The sound design and mixing thing will just come with practice so basically just keep churning out tunes man. Iā€™ve been at it for about 7 years and I donā€™t think Iā€™m anywhere near good enough yet so donā€™t worry if it takes ages either.

Man, got some good advice there you know, thank you, really have to consider lotā€™s of stuff. Had to check out this hook since iā€™ve never heard the phrase or at least donā€™t remember hearing it. An catchy easy to remember tune that stands out from the restā€¦ hmmā€¦

Kind of an lead so to speak, i do make several of them but they change too much perhaps, or change too little compared to the ā€˜melodyā€™ from violins and such and arenā€™t that easy to remember or stand out or something. Well i guess i could focus more on guitars since they are rather cool to make and sound good to me but is it wanted though since todayā€™s EDM music contains more of those festival horn type of leads or other saw/sine/square wave sound design stuff whereas rock usually contains more guitars, sometimes some of those epic cinematic orchestral pieces include some guitars that are usually played on really low notes which ones have that cool distortion, but not always even those.
Orchestral rock could be done with proper virtual libraries and i think i have quite a collection already luckily so no hurt on trying that too at some point. Basically the intro of that track could be already classified to orchestral rock as i did add an rather quiet guitar lead (on which i didnā€™t work enough) and also made the drum kit beat that rises

And yeah i do change the tempo 2 times because the orchestral intro would be too fast compared to the drumstep verse, and drumstep tempo too fast for electro house part. so making 3 types of genres into one track is bad eh? But the thing about it is that why should this particular track for example be played by DJs as in arenā€™t there people anymore listening to music on their own rather than on clubs and such places? i know i am since i have basically never been in clubs or bars (except sometimes years ago i was the sober driver wondering around and feeling really uncomfortable at bars) or concerts or festivals or any stuff like that. Maybe i should just make these genres separately 'no?

Still adding too many sounds perhaps as you said that piling up those sounds can be ā€œimpressiveā€ but still not for all to listen i guess. They can be rather confusing as in like a mess of sounds playing at once all and all, i donā€™t know what it is like i get bored during the making and then start adding more and more sounds because i was so bored of the previous ones already and am trying to make an one great big track rather than simple or something like that. But then as i have added so many layers already itā€™s so much work to start changing them all if needed and i sort of give up. Making more simple tracks with less sounds but more powerful leads and melodies, or stuff like that. But then again i do like to add them sounds as one huge mush myself. Got to consider all the things and get some feedback and stuff, find my audience and label i guess, and practice yeah

But the thing about it is that why should this particular track for example be played by DJs as in arenā€™t there people anymore listening to music on their own rather than on clubs and such places?

Yeah people do, but keep in mind that Monstercat is mainly an EDM label. EDM is played in clubs.

And yeah i do change the tempo 2 times because the orchestral intro would be too fast compared to the drumstep verse, and drumstep tempo too fast for electro house part. so making 3 types of genres into one track is bad eh?

Well yes and no. Itā€™s easier for DJs if tempo of the track doesnā€™t change. Also, many tracks that do have tempo changes, shift back to the original tempo after a short while. Then again, some big names have tempo changes in their tracks and donā€™t give a shit because they donā€™t have to (their stuff still gets released and played).

Well that would be rather cool wouldnā€™t it? To be one of those big names so that i could keep on making and improving my style which would contain tempo changes most likely as i do like to combine lotā€™s of stuff into single tracks and still people would like them and i could keep on producing with peace rather than making too much something ā€œorderedā€. But then again this stuff goes back into the why should there be art done if the only one who likes it is the artist itself category. Except only own happiness whilst producing is of course, but then again ainā€™t that the most important thing kind of? Not saying that people shouldnā€™t try to keep other people happy as well but own happiness should not be forgotten either. But if i were to want to get something like money or merely followers or something like that, out of my productions, it should be more like majority likes that music to be.

And as Monstercat is an EDM label, maybe i should truly try to search for something that would consider my current style already as it is both EDM in either chillstep, dubstep, drumstep, dnb or tropical/electro house (especially my earlier productions), but then also orchestral almost cinematic or even classical and some rock type of stuff nowadays in there too alreadyā€¦ i guessā€¦ iā€™m not like an expert on genres what is what as i do what i like to do without considering that much about on which genre it falls into. Maybe thatā€™s why itā€™s so hard for me to find an label or even ā€œlabelā€ my songs into any genre/category, so to speak. Or i should just start making single (or like two combination tracks like drumstep is combination of dubstep and DnB) genre tracks more and leave out this testing out everything on single tracksā€¦ i donā€™t know

1 BigUp

I just uploaded it to Soundcloud, voe tokkiinsa, prkl

Also just testing out making some Orchestral DnB with Serum sound designs, i do like serum on sound designs
https://soundcloud.com/shadowraz/dnb-testing

1 BigUp

Took a screen capture of the situation where the DnB from previous post is and also current situation of my instrumental remake try of the track Flux Pavilion Emotional Panda Eyes remix. What yā€™all think?

As i said, I do find Serum to be the easiest way to design certain sounds but also Massive is useful for some stuff depending on what is the goal

oh no.

1 BigUp

Welcome to bro-growl forum

i do like them crunchy growls and ongoing cool beats for some reason, listening them on dubstep/drumstep/DnB etc and creating too, not saying i shouldnā€™t make rather ambient or orchestral/classical music virtually also but as far as current situation goes, i donā€™t have enough funds to get proper stuff for creating truly full orchestral stuff, am not 100% sure could i even succeed on making worthy music of such and i donā€™t feel as chill to make orchestral chillstep either, like sort of hyper-active feeling i donā€™t know maybe i have ADHD (not diagnosed since never been to any inspections and stuff) or just drinking too much coffee? Have you guys ever noticed how drinking coffee almost makes more tired sometimes still though? not always but directly after drinking for example? maybe itā€™s the warmth of the liquid itself or something. If i were to make orchestral music now it would most likely be like really messy since i would pile them sounds up on top of each other and too much stuff happening. The real question rises: How to relax? take it eeeee-eeeeaasyy?

Have you guys visited talkclassical forums? thereā€™s some pretty neat classical/orchestral discussion over there, sometimes i donā€™t even understand the half of what they are talking though since i havenā€™t listened to that much of such music evenā€¦ maybe i should focus on music theory more too as i really would like to compose/produce good orchestral music too not just EDM. Any orchestral/classical fans here? Man there was one guy who had this Vienna Symphony library which is like over 100Gb or so and costs like hell. Should sell my freaking car so that i could upgrade my computer for productions and that library. I would save like lotā€™s of money. I literally just got my computer speakers working with even an small subwoofer so i wouldnā€™t need car but only to go to grocery stores and such

orchestral chillstep

dude. get your shit together

4 Likes

what on earth do you mean? whatā€™s wrong with making everything rather orchestral? i love it

Good stuff man.