Production competition ideas thread

Sounds good. I’ll put something together when I get home from work if I remember

1 BigUp

Who else is going to be in on this? How long of a time frame should we do? Personally I hate it when the competition lasts more than 2 weeks because I forget about it

1 BigUp

ill join in tag me when its up

Me too

Here we go lol

https://www.sendspace.com/file/cqvghf

1 BigUp

:thinking:

How about one where the only rule is that it’s in a certain key?

Been fuckin around w B minor, so cool. Can be doomy or ominous…

Christian Friedrich Daniel Schubart (1739–1791) regarded B minor as a key expressing a quiet acceptance of fate and very gentle complaint, something commentators find to be in line with Bach’s use of the key in his St John Passion.[1] By the end of the Baroque era, however, conventional academic views of B minor had shifted: Composer-theorist Francesco Galeazzi (1758–1819)[2] opined that B minor was not suitable for music in good taste. Beethoven labelled a B minor melodic idea in one of his sketchbooks as a “black key”.[3] Brahms, Dvořák, Schubert, Liszt, Chopin, Borodin, and Tchaikovsky all wrote significant works in B minor.

1 BigUp

But it’s gotta be just intonation if we are gonna do it for real

1 BigUp

Here are several ideas:

1. RECORD COMP! Can only use sound you’ve recorded with a microphone (obviously can mangle all you want)

2. DOWNTEMPO COMP! pick a low tempo like 50BPM and have to work to that (and be strict with groove, don’t just make a 100BPM track and say “well my DAW says 50BPM”)

3. ONE SONG SAMPLE COMP! Can only use one song to sample from (make it a good song though like lots of different instruments, long length etc)

4. SHORT TIME COMP! Make what you want how you want but… you only have 24hours to make it (or however long)

5. ALTERED PERCEPTION COMP! Ermmm do something to alter your perception (I wonder what) then make a beat

6. REVERSE COMP! Make a song and you have to submit the song but… reversed. This is interesting as what you make could be massively different to what is submitted, could be fun though.

2 Likes

Xenakis 43 note microtonal scale or gtfo lol

2 Likes

How about a track made using only one sample?

I have a recording of a guy I know who put his phone inside a piano and then smashed the piano up and recorded the sounds. Could yield some some interesting results…

Egoless made a tune only with a sample of a laptop mic feedback

We’ve done one sample comps before. Challenging but fun. I’m down for whatever.

we’ve pretty much all of these before at one point or another haha

I’m gonna get another comp rolling again soon :slight_smile:

One thing I’ve been wondering about is the winners of the comp, there should be slightly more incentive I think.

Was thinking about taking the winning tune(s) from each comp, then putting together a year end compilation or something? Idk, Open to ideas

5 Likes

I’ve always wanted to do a 24hr comp but figured it would be very difficult to get people to join in. A lot of people don’t see the post until later. Only way I could see to do it is make a post announcing the comp, say it starts on the 15th ends 16th. Upload the pack on the 15th.

Other problem with this is time zone differences. 24hrs from comp start is going to be different for everybody

@cyclopian you know the sponsored one we did (by a sample house) was really cool. People won either a professional pack or the grand prize winner got the whole catalog iirc.

An end of year comp would be dope too. Maybe even a Bandcamp release or sth.

@Tolsof you could do a distributed pack release according to time zone but that sounds like a hassle tbh. Wonder how else we could enforce short deadline. :thinking:

2 Likes

How about a comp where you make a track using the audio from a section of a movie or TV show?
Say, a 5 minute clip with talking, ambient effects and incidental noises. Someone could extract the audio and then we use that 5 min clip to pull out our own sounds and construct a tune from that…

I don’t know something like this maybe? There’s a lot of nice bits in this…

2 Likes

Here’s the audio from the piano death I mentioned in a post up there ^^

1 BigUp

(Burp)

When was the last time we had one of these btw? :hmm:

We had Hunnit, we had the anything-goes one most recently… even Moop sorta qualifies.

But:

I mean, c’mon - with this many ninjas on the wagon and/or broken up atm plus the weather all shit for everybody except nuSD5 - this should be a stellar time for comps lol. Been dipping into Reaper again, feels good.

Who won the last regular (pack-only/last winner does next pack) one anyway? :detective:

(@sleeps - I like that :arrow_up: sample btw.)

Edit: shit I dropped the ball on Wolfram…

2 Likes

Ur right

Could go for a new company tbh. I’m just making trap beats in my spare time and removing braincells. Need a chnge

2 Likes