Production competition ideas thread

We’ve done one sample comps before. Challenging but fun. I’m down for whatever.

we’ve pretty much all of these before at one point or another haha

I’m gonna get another comp rolling again soon :slight_smile:

One thing I’ve been wondering about is the winners of the comp, there should be slightly more incentive I think.

Was thinking about taking the winning tune(s) from each comp, then putting together a year end compilation or something? Idk, Open to ideas

5 Likes

I’ve always wanted to do a 24hr comp but figured it would be very difficult to get people to join in. A lot of people don’t see the post until later. Only way I could see to do it is make a post announcing the comp, say it starts on the 15th ends 16th. Upload the pack on the 15th.

Other problem with this is time zone differences. 24hrs from comp start is going to be different for everybody

@cyclopian you know the sponsored one we did (by a sample house) was really cool. People won either a professional pack or the grand prize winner got the whole catalog iirc.

An end of year comp would be dope too. Maybe even a Bandcamp release or sth.

@Tolsof you could do a distributed pack release according to time zone but that sounds like a hassle tbh. Wonder how else we could enforce short deadline. :thinking:

2 Likes

How about a comp where you make a track using the audio from a section of a movie or TV show?
Say, a 5 minute clip with talking, ambient effects and incidental noises. Someone could extract the audio and then we use that 5 min clip to pull out our own sounds and construct a tune from that…

I don’t know something like this maybe? There’s a lot of nice bits in this…

2 Likes

Here’s the audio from the piano death I mentioned in a post up there ^^

1 BigUp

(Burp)

When was the last time we had one of these btw? :hmm:

We had Hunnit, we had the anything-goes one most recently… even Moop sorta qualifies.

But:

I mean, c’mon - with this many ninjas on the wagon and/or broken up atm plus the weather all shit for everybody except nuSD5 - this should be a stellar time for comps lol. Been dipping into Reaper again, feels good.

Who won the last regular (pack-only/last winner does next pack) one anyway? :detective:

(@sleeps - I like that :arrow_up: sample btw.)

Edit: shit I dropped the ball on Wolfram…

2 Likes

Ur right

Could go for a new company tbh. I’m just making trap beats in my spare time and removing braincells. Need a chnge

2 Likes

someone find the stems for “it’s coming home”

let’s faaackin 'av it boys innit

Ill do this and tuna if I dont go seaside with my family, been ages since I produced somethin

Remix a song without using stems or any of your own samples. Just use whatever you can take from the song.
(I’m currently working on a remix in this way of Burn It Down by Daughter so figured it’d kick me up the arse to finish it)

Make a track using only elements from a given movie clip.

Make a track in one genre using only sounds commonly found in another, eg a dubstep track using typical gabba sounds.

Build a track around an accapella using any of your own samples.

Potluck. Everyone involved submits one unique sample (a kick from one person, a snare from another, a pad from a third and so on) then make a track using only the given samples.

Make a track using only your own field recordings.

2 Likes

I still need to take all the samples I recorded on my trip and upload it. There’s some pretty decent ones in there actually

1 BigUp

MOOP DOWN

Soundtrack a silent film scene, like Metropolis, Caligari, Nosferatu, etc.

Use only sounds you’ve recorded in yourself.

Everyone chucks in 3 samples each.

Or some combination of the above

eg compose a film score using a compilation of three original Foley sounds per person pack.

Call it “Metropolis: Foley Pack Film Score” or something.

I’d actually like to start this if I reach 5 likes on this post haha.

Plus Moop Tape 2 is open in the hideout btw. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

So down to compose a film score :slight_smile:
Been wanting to do ambient/soundtrack shit for a while now, besides finishing earlier tunes. Come next week, cant wait to start building stuff

1 BigUp

How we going to pick the scene to score?
I reckon it should something obscure, nothing from terminator or anything like that.
Length-wise? 3 to 4 mins?

Let’s have a vote, and pick some recognizable films that won Oscars or something. EDIT: Sorry, didn’t read, silent films then.

Post-copyright silent films have the advantages that
a) They’re post-copyright and
b) they’re silent

Anyway, it seems like there is some interest, so I’m going to make a thread. I’m not the first to suggest similar ideas either.

2 Likes
1 BigUp

1 BigUp

Oooh tasty!

1 BigUp