Production Thoughts

Stranjah has some sick production tutorials on his YT. He uses Serum quite a bit. Pretty sure you’ll find some helpful shit there.

https://www.youtube.com/@STRANJAH/videos

1 BigUp

thx for furthering the brostep movement :metal:

5 Likes

Brostep will never die, more and more bros born every day

No worries mate. Gonna post some donk tutes next

3 Likes

donk n toots sounds pretty rad
donk n toots >stomp n flutes

1 BigUp

:lol_og:

But this tune’s not half bad…

1 BigUp
7 Likes

oh it already exists :grinning:

doots n tunk

I think I’ve seen more of you fuckers using Reason, we should start trading our best Combinators or projects or whatever. I’m still only on version 10 though, don’t see any point in upgrading yet, so that’s a limitation on my end if someone wants to share stuff from newer versions.

What’s the pros/cons of reason?

I’m a filthy fl studio user.

1 BigUp

Pros:
Still insanely powerful for sound design and totally fucked up patches, mostly due to how the virtual CV stuff works. Complex generative stuff is easy once you understand how things work, since you can basically trigger whatever with whatever. I’ve had it crash on me maybe 1-2 times in 15 years, so never lost anything due to a crash (this is absolutely insane if you ask me).

Cons:
MIDI implementation for controlling external gear is wonky and outdated, and the UI can be super daunting for inexperienced users. The developers has kinda dropped the ball the last few versions (hence my reluctance to upgrade), like they still have no VST3 support (!) afaik (I barely use any VSTs anyways though, almost 100% stock plugs). They’re trying to push for a fully subscription-based ownership model which is total bs, but you can still get a proper license.
EDIT oh yeah, the file browser is total dog shit too, prolly my biggest gripe.

Could prolly add more to both categories, but that’s the main things I can think of right now.

1 BigUp

I made this last week or so, just as an experiment/exercise. The track uses 0 samples and no MIDI data in the sequencer. All the sounds were created using processed instances of the stock Thor synth, which has been around for ages. These are triggered via gate/CV from a single instance of the Redrum Drum Computer, also a very old device. I’m basically just using it as a step sequencer, playing different patterns created within the device. There are actually just 4 “tracks” triggering the different things. Some of them trigger multiple sounds from the same gate pattern.

Here’s the main sequencer window. Top green row is the patterns, the blue blocks are automation.

Close-up of the Redrum trigger setup, viewed from the back of the rack. As you can see, the gate signals from those 4 tracks are split to trigger multiple things.

3 Likes

Once you “get it”, it’s highly rewarding and addictive to come up with custom patches. I’ve been using Reason for about 15 years now, and there’s still new things I manage to figure out, often just by thinking about how it could be set up, even if I’m not in front of the software. Like listening to whatever kind of synth sound or production technique I hear in other people’s music, then try to break down how I could achieve a similar result.

Getting some “mad scientist” vibes sometimes, hehe. The downside/upside is that it’s very easy to get lost making sounds instead of actually trying to compose full songs. I’m trying to mitigate this by saving Combinators and synth patches from one session, for later use in another, more composing-focused one.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. I might give it a go when I get a new laptop at some point. I don’t feel like there’s any real reason for me to switch atm tho

1 BigUp

Yeah, I’m not saying you should switch either bro. Just saying I really like Reason and I’m having tonnes of fun with it still, 15 years later. Production thoughts, innit?

Yeah I getcha. Just wasn’t sure how else to acknowledge you answering my question so well lol

1 BigUp

Isn’t there a way to run reason into other daws? Would be sick to use reason for sound design n then send into my beloved bableton

You can actually buy Reason as a plugin (!) for Ableton, or any other DAW afaik.

Anyone know of any drum breaks in 3/4 or 6/8? A quick Google found some packs but that’s not really what I’m looking for