Production Thoughts

What’s more fun these days? Starting wavetable/ samples from scratch or using wavetable presets/ sample preset?

Scratch for me. I never save a preset

I been starting a bunch from scratch too but it rarely results in HQ sound-candy type samples/ patches. I do learn the DAW as a result though so it’s a give/take kinda thing.

yeah learning your daw inside and out the best you can is very important. There’s many techniques to make sounds and finding the ones that flow best with you i think is what develops your sound most

2 Likes

I definitely want my low frequencies to sound deeper.

1 BigUp

I think the trick to that is to use less high frequency

1 BigUp

Lol. My music still sucks. But it’s all I fucking have m8! Bouta get the Bukez Finezt silly samples pack for inspiration.

1 BigUp

i saw leon switch put out a new sample pack recently

Im hella tryin’ to combine the happy hardcore vibe with deep heavy weight dubstep. this is what im going for…

it reminds me of 2009 when i went to EDC. HUGE raver vibes like ive never known before.

1 BigUp

Posting the same screenshot here for refrerence.
Blue, orange, yellow and green tracks are the Elecribe, the MIDI track is triggering MS2000b, dark orange track is the recording, that’s the bassline. Ran some of tracks through pedals, get it crisp at the source you know?

Can run at least 5 tracks at 128 buffer rate, recording is basically “latency free” with compensation. Set up the soundcard to just record the stuff with fx (noise gate, compression, reverb) without taxing the processor. Post fader/fx.
Shit sounds dope.

1 BigUp

That is like straight out of a music producing textbook. Big ups.

1 BigUp

There’s the reason I’ve used Reason for +15 years.
Using hardware, there’s just gain staging you have to think about. Sent that loop to a friend, he said the mix sounds good. I haven’t begun mixing yet, still just a raw recording.

Tryna avoid 100 hours of post processing, just tune the gear to what you want while you record. Simple.

Tru. I wish dubstep were as big here in San Diego as it is in other places. Everyone here listens to reggaeton & corridos because Mexico is like 10 minutes away (It’s literally about 10 minutes from my home if you’re driving the speed limit.)

As for time saving mixdowns? I wish I had more insight but you likely know more than me.

2023 might be a good year for me producing if I can finish tracks. Otherwise, it’s gonna be a big practice year :typing:

The whole composition and sound choices are a hundred times more important that the mixdown. I’ll probably just send my multitracks onwards to someone with better knowledge when I’m “done”. And better monitoring/plugins.

When the mix is good enough, I’ll send it to someone for mastering, then I might consider releasing it on Bandcamp or whatever. Gonna pay for all the parts needed. Gotta do it proper.

2 Likes

@Ryan thoughts?

5 Likes

Did you ever get much into blocks Para ?

Nah I don’t use it much, but it does seem useful.

1 BigUp

I probably sounded like that for a while on dsf. that’s exactly how come I don’t want to be religious. He’s a square.

1 BigUp

Got a friend who swears by then buy I just can’t get my head into it !