Production Thoughts

Doing workflow drills is good practice!!
But deffo keep working onthat first bit!

1 BigUp

yeah ultimately understanding the tools and understanding what makes music sound compelling are kind of two different studies (not unrelated but distinct) and both take a certain amount of time and practice to internalize them

2 Likes

I’ve been working on some new production techniques lately. Mostly not being afraid of bouncing stuff.

Also didn’t realize I could record individual tracks easily in fl studio ffs I’m retarded honestly

1 BigUp

Bouncing individual tracks in ur project is so underrated tbh

1 BigUp

Yeah I usually get anxiety about “what if I want to change a note, or change the synth” or whatever, but I’m thinking we’ll, if that’s the case I can either re record it or use the changes later on in the song. Plus you can do all the usual things you can do with an audio sample.
Also arrangement is easier imo

You just change it differently.

What if one note in your thing is from a slightly different sounding synth? That’d be cool probably

You wouldn’t get anxiety if it was immediately going onto a big record label right after you export it (Maybe you would.). I wouldn’t though, I’d be happy knowing it’s going on the EP.

Yeah that’s pretty much my thought. I’ve been worried about feeling constricted when in reality it’s opening up more doors

I think I’d be more anxious bud

1 BigUp

i feel like expanding on that bit could be as simple as adding some more percussion, mabye a new pad or other melodic thing, and a wicked rolling subbass

I need to do this. Literally hundreds of samples makes me anxious when I have to copy/paste chunks when arranging. I need to learn to bounce more.

1 BigUp

nice thread

1 BigUp

+1 for bouncing tracks to audio, I try to do it as early in the process as possible, getting used to just moving forward as soon as it feels like it works is really helpful for not getting overwhelmed. you can also do a lot of editing to audio tracks that isn’t easy or possible with midi, and a lot of tricks (cutting & slicing etc) that sound cool that you wouldn’t think to do looking at midi

3 Likes

Something I’ve been doing lately is I’ll bounce to audio, pitch it down with Abletons warp mode enabled. Then bounce that and pitch it back up again with Abletons beat warp mode. It makes for some really interesting sounding things when it tries to warp based on the transients.

1 BigUp

but when you want to change a note or switch up a melody then you have to do it all over agianlol

2 Likes

yeah so come up with good melodies the first time :kissing_heart:

for real tho part of the practice I think is getting something good and then accepting moving on rather than going back and playing around and being perfectionist. a lot of the time the first instinctual moves are better than stuff that you have to go over again and again (in terms of musical ideas like melodies anyway not necessarily mixing or arrangement details, and that’s in my experience, ymmv)

3 Likes

nice yeah, I’ve also used it to create like stuttered pads and things by using the note division settings from warped and pitched audio tracks

yup thats what can be a bitch about producing. not to mention a bunch of other shit that can go wrong.

I agree. The actual composing part (harmony + melody) is separate from sound design in my head.

every time you make a tune
decide on/make a scale
choose samples that fit those notes (or if you are a nonce - pitch them so they fit your decided scale)

then go into the daw and throw those bits around all bezerko no rules

everything will be in tune - every move you make - every steeeeeppp youuuuu take - will work
and you can focus on just fucking around - and do weird sound design/experimentation

it also becomes MUCH easier to make melodies because you get to skip some notes

THIS IS THE WAY

3 Likes