Production Thoughts

in terms of harmony and that side

if you decide to make a weird/ odd scale - but you still just follow those notes in that scale

it will be chordally/tuningsiously harmonically challenging on the same level as someone that knows all the theory

(the only detractor/ con - to this approach is its slightly more laborious if you want a tune that switch scales in the middle of it - but I cant think of a lot of tunes that do t’hat where its not wanky tbh - at least in dance music)

2 Likes

if you are strictly hardware or midi or whatever

then just do the same on the piano role - and DECIDE to avoid some notes - nix them

its not about picking certain notes, its always just about getting rid of some and making a lil bundle/selection/collection/group/bouquet/garland/panoply of notes - (even if you are all about 7th or 5th or 9th - you just include those bastards in your scale/selection)

(notice the poncier words for selection that makes it seem like i’m a pianist/classic penis)

MUSIC THEORY IS FAKE
only rhythm is real and there are no rules - ’Everywhere where there is interaction between a place, a time and an expenditure of energy, there is rhythm’’ - rhythm is real and physical yaddayaddayadda

notes are weird quantized bitesized micro-rhythm event bricks

1 BigUp

this vid hella helped me design a heavy modulated bass. its quite frank. pick weird sounds, keep them sounding good in the bass range, & adjust to taste.

Still on about serum. The synth is absolute candy. Ravers rejoice, yeah? The problem I face at the moment is automating a knob with the most creative potential. Like, every producer has an imaginary vision of the effect the music is supposed to have on the listeners and to execute said vision is something unique to successful visionaries of all walks of life.

My comment implies unsuccessful visionaries, to which i say, I am not that smart.

love this, kept me productive for most of my “career”

accidentally stumbled into the world of just using oscillators that dont auto tune to any note and sequencers that run on their own time, its been a wonderful feeling of freedom since

I opened ableton the other day for the first time in years and went straight back to my old workflow and it just felt so fucking empty for me. I can make sounds sound good and drums hit exactly when i want them to, and i just lost my boner instantly. I lasted about 40 minutes before i felt the urge to go back to my current (awful but fun) workflow.

I’ll never hate on a fully sample based workflow, i did it for years and i loved it, I dont think i’d be talking to any of you unless I had that workflow. I see there is so much art left in it. I personally cant go back after going fully synthesized. Every sound is personal and remains like wet clay to reshape when working in synthesis. No grid and infinite sounds in the parameters and modulation. I spent years thinking modulation was just an lfo limited within a vst patch.

Now i send an lfo at 1 hours time rate into a quantizer which turns those voltages into notes, i use those notes to send trigger to a trigger splitter and use that to time a drum kit made out of disperate soures

5 Likes

Sample mine

1 BigUp

I totally get that

Might be on about serum for a while, because I bought from sample-genie their Serum close up video course. It wasn’t too expensive and I get some unique perspectives on the vst. Pick my brain on things serum.

tons of free stuff

Got to see how @Harkat makes beats over the weekend, and I’m really inspired from the bare-bones-no-bs approach he does. Even with a degree in music tech this guy puts his tiny 5" speakers straight on his desk and sits huddled over his 13" macbook for hours on hours. Best part is that basically 99% of the beats he played me was ace! Really.

Trying to use that kind of mindset myself now that I’m stuck with a shitty laptop and no gear what so ever except my old Akai 25 key keyboard and a pair of DT770 headphones.

Same goes for my plugin/sample hoarding tendencies…

10 Likes

harkat should post more tunes last time i heard his stuff long ago it was some fire garage beat

5 Likes

Made a hundred better unfinished ones! The “beat” part I’ve gotten pretty OK at tryna be more tune writing etc tended to make a lotta intros that go nowhere

4 Likes

yup

s’called ambient brother

2 Likes

Now I’m learning to save my intros and simply call them ambiance.

2 Likes

I prefer the term edging

techno is pure edging and its great, fuck genres that satisfy the drop in 2023

5 Likes

Some of the “genres” on here :smashedlol:
Infinity Slap House :roll_eyes:

Some good shit to grab though tbf
Sick drum fills in the rock/metal genre filter

1 BigUp

yeah fuck names of sample packs

black octopus creambulance neurotech hop jubilance

fishsound festival country birthday house