Production Thoughts

no, thats a doop diip duup
no boob

kinda technoid

the hats sound a bit off in particular b2b too long decay and reverb, same with the cymbals around 0:15ish

and as hubb said, some variation in velocity/dynamics can also do wonders

2 Likes

edit

This is the bass stem with FX

This is the melody stem with FX

1 BigUp

sorry i cant listen properly on this laptop
im sure para got some tips

1 BigUp

Keys are made up, really.

You’ve got a d g and e

So then think of the intervals

If it’s the key of c, that’s 2 5 3
Could also be the key of d, 1 4 2
Could also be g, 5 1 6

Now to make a scale you just fill in the rest of the intervals, then start noodlin. Really probably only need another note or maybe 2 to bring out some kind of tonality if you’re going for that.

Break it down for a brother!
What’s the numbers mean?

Not sure what those numbers are supposed to mean either.

Also, I’ve already given my tips. With that pad sound made of the 2 notes (it does sound like more notes to me, but I dunno how the original sample sounds), you have a ton of harmonic content already, which implies a lot of things, which means that you’re stuck within a framework of tonality already.

If you can’t make sense of what you have and what you can add to it, strip it back. Start with 1 bass note and 1 note on top, and try all the combos you can think of. Simple intervals innit?

3 Likes

Maybe start on a C and then use the notes that are 2, 3 or 5 notes above or below that?

https://soundcloud.com/old_shock/4-weird-chords?si=ce85f0b2fbed4f78a045c2683a3ace21&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

That makes no sense to me, and should not be described that way if one wants it to make sense.

I guess you understand what an interval is? The distance between two notes? If I say, make a minor 3rd interval, could you do it?

1 BigUp

Yes

Nope no idea

Man, all of these are really complex harmonies from the get go, apart from the first one, which is just a minor chord (I think).

@sleeps so u see the edit

Tried to remake the chords by ear, this is what I came up with. The sound is just placeholder.

This is how they look. It’s hard to hear the separate notes due to the timbre, but I think I’m in the ballpark. As you can see, the later chords has a lot of stuff going on already.

1 BigUp

Fuck me man. That’s spot on!!!

As they’re samples with a bunch of processing and noise before I put my FX on them, obviously they’re not going to be clean chords - there’s going to be a lot of complex tones in there, but I figured if my tuner could pick out one dominant note on the first two chords then I could use those two notes to make the baseline…

1 BigUp

These are the breaks and the hat solo’d and then together.
So you think shorten the tail and reverb of the hats?

then theres a painridden guy like Miles who can appropriate funk and put something real back inside it

1 BigUp

never thought about it like that

so true lol

1 BigUp

In the key of c major, d is the 2nd, g is the perfect 5th, and e is the major 3rd.

I’m trying to say that notes and scales are really just contextual

2 Likes

Why the f don’t you name them in order lolll. Making it even more confusing.

1 BigUp