Production Thoughts

Btw @Paralytik, what tracker software do you recommend? I’m thinking about trying that out too

Not sure what you mean…

I think its just that you can drag the loop region/time selection in the track audio area. In fl I’m pretty sure you can only drag it at the top of the time bar, if that makes sense. I’m probably describing it like ass lol.

Just something I gotta get used to

Do your loop selection and hit SHIFT + R to make it a Region. You can now go do stuff elsewhere.

Re: Paulstretch - The OG and still greatest imo is still ava free.

https://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

2 Likes

Thank you brother :pray:

1 BigUp

Ah yeah I got ya. Yeah you can move the start and end points of the section you want to loop in the channel window.

1 BigUp

I downloaded furnace, looking through the demo’s now.

It’s pretty neat. I made a simple arpeggio type thing. I’m gonna have to play with this

1 BigUp

Furnace, if you want to make chiptunes. Renoise is a real tracker DAW. Pretty cheap license too iirc.

1 BigUp

Nice, I’ll stick to furnace for now cuz it seems to be pretty feature full, and I like being able to mess around with the different sound card emulators. I’m assuming that a lot of it kind of transfers between them? Like same track layout from what I’ve seen.

Yeah, most of the basic effects are the same across trackers too, but not all. Furnace is great to just play around with those old card emulations, since you can just choose some preset instrument patches ang get started right away.

But if you wanna use modern plugins and build stuff with your own samples, Renoise is definitely the way to go. It also has some pretty advanced features for playing stuff live, but I’ve only seen others do that, never tried it myself.

Yeah I thought the effects might be similar too. Cool beans.
I really like the sequencing aspects of it. And I’ve really been wanting to make some chiptune/retro game type music so it’ll be perfect for that (obviously)

The time step is gonna be to figure out lol. Not sure how I wanna work 12/8 with it

Renoise does look sexy tho lol

1 BigUp

Sunvox is another tracker. Not nearly as deep as ReNoise but a good intro to general principles and mostly interchangeable between the two. Also cross-platform like a mofo, runs on Android, iOS, PC, Mac, Linux…

https://warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/

2 Likes

Ooh, I’ve been wanting to try that out, but forgot about it.

1 BigUp

do you guys ever make tunes? i dont want to be an arse but are you working on tunes or just processing files?

I’ve been mentally fucked up because of +2 years of constant high level stress, due to my living situation and losing my job etc. So no, haven’t made many tunes. Soundcard is now also bricked, which makes things more annoying.

With this said, I just moved to this new place at the start of May, so hopefully I can relax enough to be able to make something. I did also record 2 full songs and like 3 sketches at my friend’s studio last weekend, just playing a bunch of instruments live.

i dont mean the question, to be a jerk, i just see so much technicakal information and not a lot about tunes

1 BigUp

I didn’t take offence, I’m just autistically explaining my situation.

1 BigUp

im using my own autism to blame dsf for my lack of output, and thank you for reminding me that my life has gone another direction too

i want to make a tune again, but i dont think i can anymore and i truly get ‘the ick’ even thinking about opening up a daw for thepurpose of ‘a tune’

i deleted basically everything on my SC, which has always been my ‘archive’

2 Likes

Why blame yourself for “lack of output” though? If you’re not in the mindset of making stuff, you simply aren’t. If you try to force it, things usually turn out pretty shitty anyways.

I’m working on other parts of my life, to see if that will help with motivation and creativity in the music making department. Creating some routines and removing other stress factors, etc. Trying to play some more guitar.

3 Likes

oh, i meant that part a bit facetiously

its absolutely lovely to diverge from the old methods of expression and explore new avenues

1 BigUp