Production Thoughts

I just draw penises in the MIDI

3 Likes

Was struggling for a long time with the why of “making a tune”, a lot of ego and preconception was wrapped up in it. Even if you consciously know otherwise it’s still hard to detach from the specters of fame, money, reputation… and with that approach, every tune is a failed lottery ticket. That’s the root of my ‘ick’ anyway. And then making excuses about not having the right gear to do it properly anyway, and whose fault that is… it just leads to a lot of bad feels.

Lately I’m just unabashedly farting around making stupid things and having fun with it, a lot of quick and dirty sp404-style sample flips out of random sounds and whatnot. Making 80s tunes, hip hop, other stuff outside my normal zone. Not sharing them unless I want to. Hell, not finishing them unless I want to. I’ve got plenty going on in my personal life that’s Ugh, why make music one of them?

It’s become kind of a refuge again and I’d like to keep it so as long as possible, because when it’s all washed away music will always be there even when I’m not, and that’s kind of nice to know. I’ve even accepted the fact that maybe I’m just a drop in the ocean and this is as good as it’ll ever get, and that’s ok too.

7 Likes

I produce, I’m working on my patience because gardening takes a long time.

4 Likes

Well said bro. This is what I’m kinda struggling with ATM

I sit down now when I really want to and still have to tell myself it’s okay that I got nothing good

5 Likes

Finished 14-15 tunes in 3 months so ye, quantity over quality for me works wonders.

1 BigUp

Ever felt like you wanted feedback on a track from SHXCXCHCXSH?
Now you can, for only $15.

I’m both keen on sending them a track, and hesitant. These guys make some of the most texture rich and interesting music I’ve come across in years; what on earth would their feedback be if I sent them a regular 4x4 techno beat with 2-3 synths and a generic pad + some tape noise layered in the background…?

1 BigUp

Not heard of the artist youve mentioned pokus but why not go for it… as long as it doesent develop into some ego deluding trip where your spending $150 a month for people (whose more likely than not gonna have an aspect of rose tinted glasses on) to give you feedback on your music…cant see it hurting !

2 Likes

Your tunes are sick tho man.

1 BigUp

Ngl your post comes off as an ad lol

2 Likes

I’ll do it for 14

1 BigUp

Damn, that’s almost as much as Mason charges for his services behind Aldi.

1 BigUp

Mandem gotta hustle, respect the grind bro.

1 BigUp

would never trust a person’s advice that was willing to take money from strangers to give advice on ‘sight unseen’ tunes from strangers; especially from other artists. Beyond a bad look imo

I will give feedback on your future posts from now on for just $5 though.

1 BigUp

Yeah felt like that when I typed it out.

Definitely not, but fwiw it would feel like “hey I have this p crap thing going how can I make it more interesting?” and idk: the fact that they make some of the most avant garde / textural / gritty techno I’ve heard in years makes me feel almost “not worthy” of their feedback or smt.

Like because there would be such a distance between what they make and my tracks, what are they going to tell me? Am I even mentally capable of using their feedback in a constructive manner to elevate my art remotely closer to their level based on their feedback?

This being said I’m probably gonna try out this service as they have several high profiled techno producers in their roster. That and imma find someone who offers 1-1 training.

Thank you again m8 :pray:

Why not?

bc they are using their talent and popularity as a money making scheme?

there is such a massive difference between getting feedback from ‘someone’ professionally and just paying a flat 15 dollar fee for ‘someone’ who is taking peoples money to just listen to the track

its extremely scummy

5 Likes

I kinda wish we gave more feedback on the sample pack songs. I know it’s a lot of work tho

2 Likes

I do try and write a couple lines on each track, but some technical feedback from everyone would be cool

2 Likes

Yeah I always appreciate the comments. I honestly wouldn’t mind my tunes getting shit on. I’ve never minded harsh criticism, as long as it’s coming from a good place. That’s just me tho, and obviously not applicable with the anonymous aspect.

I also totally get it’s asking a lot for a few sentences out of people, (especially when we struggle to get votes in sometimes).

Maybe we could use the downtime after the competition is over to take a second look at the songs

2 Likes

Good idea that

3 Likes

Really great video on mixing