Production Thoughts

It should be as clean as it is on the real DS. But I dunno how it is set up, maybe the sine channel doesn’t have a working envelope?

There’s also most probably only 1 channel handling samples, you just have to read up on how the chip you’re working with works I guess.

In general, if you sample something at full volume, like you would in a DAW, the level will be way too high in Furnace, and it will clip/distort.

The DPCM channel on the NES chip works best with samples that are like -10dB heh.
When I mix stuff on that chip, I mix downwards, turning everything else down in volume and trying to balance it against the triangle channel, since it has no volume control. How different chips handle the “master bus” probably differs a lot too, some of them might peak if you run too many sounds into them at the same time, even with level settings that you might think are “within reason”.

1 BigUp

TL;dr mismatched gain floors between a sound and the daw. Something’s zero db is not actually zero for some reason.

If you bother to read, 0dB might still peak some of these chip emulations, it all depends on how the original hardware functioned.

I messed with the envelopes on the sub and now it sounds good. Doesn’t quite have the same punch, but oh well. I’ll figure it out later. I’m not sure what the exact issue is.

future pet project: Make a fork of furnace, drop the emulation shizz, and modernize the channels a bit

1 BigUp

In that case, just get Renoise.

The thing with Furnace is that you have to work with it, and figure out clever ways to make the chips do what you want, within the very restrictive boundaries for each chip.

I’m partially kidding lol. I was looking at renoise tho, seems nice. I do really like the restrictions of furnace. I actually feel way more productive. Could just be a fling, but so far it’s fantastic. I rebound the keybinds to be like emacs so I can zoom around the window lol. Way easier than clicking for me.

I think there is a more general playback chip, I’ll have to look tho. That’s kind of what I meant by dropping the emulation. Just some generic playback. And really all I’d like for the channels is to be able to add/remove/move around/rename. That’s about it.

I do wanna play around with using multiple chips too. Would be sick to load some samples into the amiga, and have some other channels doing something else. I’m assuming the different chip will have an effect on the audio playback.

This is the exact same reason I like it.

I’m not sure there is tbh, because that’s not why Furnace was made. There are already loads of other more “general use” trackers, with Renoise being the most sophisticated of them.

I really need to try this too, haha. I assume each chip has its own emulation running in the background or something, to create the sound you’d expect from them.

Yeah idk. I was just reading through the manual and remember one of the chips having a description like “good for general sample playback”. Something along those lines.

In the demo folder there’s a couple projects in there that use it, so I might dig through a few of those after I finish up with my tune for me and ronzlo’s battle.

1 BigUp

Ah, nice. Then you know more than me, haha. I’ve only ever used the NES chip so far lol.

Bro I have had a non stop erection since I started using this software lol

1 BigUp

So you’re saying Furnace makes you hot?

I wanna stick my buns in its oven

1 BigUp

Thing about a priapism… yer dick gets gangrene and falls off eventually. :scream:

1 BigUp

@Tolsof

2 Likes

i watched this earlier today good vid

Dub Techno Production Comp is live

2 Likes

Lol came here to post this. CDP looks so fun

1 BigUp

Remember BT speaking highly of it back in the day, never took the leap.

I don’t know that I would ever get anything done for about a month or two, just like when I first discovered paulstretch lol…

1 BigUp

Yea when I first got Reaktor I probably didn’t make an actual track for like 6 months, just got into building stuff, think I prefer that process tbh

1 BigUp