Questions for interview: Addison Groove & Joker

true
also what’s his favourite theme from a Sonic OST?

Both

You are known for using hardware more in your setups recently, what balance is your setup right now between ‘in the box’ and hardware?

How do you think using hardware has affected your practice, and to what extent was hardware used in making your breakout tunes (thinking of Footcrab/Tron here)

I was going to ask about this

directed at whom this?
Nobody is asking why, nobody is asking any questions from these interviews, apart from maybe the the inspiration one I asked.

Also for clarification and as not to clog up my other post;
What else is giving you a buzz in music nowadays? -> With nowadays I just like to hear some more about which type of music he is feeling as of late (could be classical for all I care) and what does he recommend of said stuff
Which producers should I look out for? -> again, any genre any time"era"
Whom are some producers you rate that are lesser known to most? -> Also any time"era" any genre

i’ll think of something proper soon

there was such a jokes interview with joker where he wast talking about people not at first believing he’d programmed his synths and him being like nah look and posting a picture of his synth patch->massively regretting it haha(anyone else remember this one)

what’s their secret weapons to draw for inna di dance? what are they looking for when digging for new music; what kind of style or aesthetic tickle their fancy?

please describe your image of a perfect night out.

In the @TRUSIK interview you mentioned that you had come back to making 140. How is that going and are you planning to do any new Headhunter releases?

T or A?

4 Likes

Some of Joker’s tunes remind me a lot of Timbaland tunes like Aaliyah - Try Again or Justin Timberlake - My Love

like check the type of synth melodies:

Am I just imagining that connection or does he rate that music?

Studio has to be reduced to three pieces of hardware and a computer/speakers. Which three would you keep? (both artists)

Up until just recently you (AG/Headhunter) were quiet on the dubstep front. What made you return to the scene? Were there any releases or sounds in particular that sparked your interest again? If so what were they?

He’s got 2 HH bits forthcoming iirc

Addison:

1. Will we ever see anymore releases under the Headhunter alias like old dubs like Quantum Dream and Tonkin’ Delight for example, or has the Headhunter alias essentially been retired for now.
  2. What is the Juke and the Swamp 81 scene like compared to the dubstep scene when you first started out, i.e. the vibe, the crowds etc…Is it a better scene in your eyes, or do you miss the dubstep scene when it used to be prominent.

Joker:

1. Your style of sound is often referred to as “Purple Sound” although you come from a dubstep and grime background. Have you ever referred to your music as any of these labels, or is it simply just about making music and beats rather than a particular style.

Both:

1. Looking back at your tracks you’ve made over the years; are you really content with any of them or do you listen back to them and think you would change certain parts of them or wonder why you made a certain track in the first place.

Swear this has been like asked 4 times already lol, hes got stuff coming out as HH soon and well lets just say he is playing out as HH again

Sadly I missed the HH gig in Sydney but caught the AG gig. I was pleased to hear some dubstep in there anyway. In contrast to the juke/footwork dynamic that deliberately creates complex challenges to movement, propper dubstep has a more organic, less intellectual appeal to dance. Can you relate to that assessment?

joker- always felt a strong grime vibe in your tunes, i.e stuff like the kapsize ep-grimey princess/stuck in the system, how big an influence was that actually on you writing tunes? i heard guido used to be a grime dj and seen you drop some fun grime/dubstep mixes out
been hearing a lot of the new grime people play tunes like tron or purple city in with heavy synthy sets and it feels like it’s had a lot of influence on these newer producers, so which grime and which dubstep producers were a big influence on your sound?

(crap phrasing sure pete’ll sort this out)

joker your tunes sometimes have a lot going but rarely sound clashy or ‘busy’ to me, any suggestions for getting tunes like that to mix nicely together?

addison, i feel like i’ve seen your dubstep described as ‘techy’ or ‘techno’ influenced, how true would you say this was and why didn’t you go full techno like say pev or trg and a lot of the other dubstep guys (i guess if you never saw your sound as techno orientated this second question is a bit shit)

Understand what yu mean Rackem
am tempted to call it a techno influence as well
but maybe it’s something else
krautrock? triphop?
there’s a resolve about it
like aspirational classical.
I remember HH’s tunes in 07 feeling more polished,
hence rawer & less committed than the beautiful rollers.
And yet distinctive & proppa.

my standard question for any producer:

how many tracks do you start per month (or year), how many of the tunes that you start do you finish, and what portion of your finished tunes make it to release? (for both)

for Addison Groove: any info on the forthcoming-ness of ‘Afrobass,’ or any collabs with KSP such as ‘Upside of Down’?

(unsure if you’ll have your laptop with you pete, but here’s some vids in case some of the titles have got lost in translation)

I don’t know if this has already been asked but, what was the changing moment that you realised that your producing hobby would turn into something more or did either of you want it to be more than a hobby?

1 BigUp

Q 4 Joker-down for a collab?

T or A

For both

1 BigUp