Stuff That Should Be Improved

just click ctrl-F twice and you get a browser shortcut. case closed?

3 Likes

On the weightless grime thread I kept getting my browser crashing/closing on me when on my tablet on Chrome. Is this going to start happening on all threads like that which are video/link heavy once they reach a certain size because of the infinite scroll thing?

In some ways I prefer the scrolling pages but in some ways I prefer numbered pages. For active conversations I’d say the scrolling is better but I reckon the numbered pages made it easier to read through old threads. That being said there are no old threads here really

not really bothered by the infinite scroll thing anymore. it’s definitely better because you don’t have to quote everytime when replying so you don’t end up on a new page devoid of context + what @pete_bubonic said about last posts getting ignored.
not to mention browsing was a pain in the ass on tablet/phone - well w/ prosilver anyway, never used the new layout

as for sigs, they made browsing slow as fuck because everyone kept embedding shit instead of just posting links. i disabled them a long time ago tbh, along with avatars and pics

1 BigUp

being able to embed videos while under the spoiler tag you would a good feature but it seems to work differently on this platform so idk

[quote=“4ndY, post:186, topic:110”]
just ask yourself what would it look like if we made a switched from Discourse to phpBB after 10 years of Discourse? The same thing: “Where is an option to answer on the topic/PM using mail only?”, [/quote]

Except you can’t get mail in the first place unless you individually subscribe to a thread. Discourse doesn’t even have 90’s level technology. So maybe we could go back 10 years right now and get all of the missing functionality back?

Don’t need it. Makes those pages look cluttered near the avatars, and too much space near the threads.

But where are avatars on the thread where they actually are useful. Oh, their tiny and useless, surrounded by empty white space. Oh. Nice.

I don’t see any community moderating happening now.

You could do this before by making a post that that person had posted in, they’d get an email. Don’t need tags. Thanks.

I can imagine people running in the streets, screaming, “Where are the user cards!” except no one knows what user cards are. Don’t need them.

Old forum worked fine on my old phone.

Drag and drop is pretty cool. Wouldn’t trade it for all that we lost though.

Some of quoting is great, some is really bad: If you just want to quote a sentence, select the text and you’re done, awesome. But if you want to quote a whole post, often selecting will not quote the whole post. Before, all we had to do was hit one quote button and we were in a new post with the quote. Now, you’ve got to work to get a whole post.

Seriously? Seriously?

This happens you just don’t see it

Is it like dark matter? How do we community moderate?

It is, quite efficiently and pleasingly may I add.

Personally dont rate the emailing at all, hated that stuff on the old forum. And I think you were one of the maybe 5 people that used them?

that’s lucky, it didn’t on many many many devices.

People flagging things to our attention among other things, it can almost self regulate to a degree.

I recall flagging stuff on the old forum. Was that community moderation?

This is what happens when you select to quote ^

I think you would increase user involvement if people got emails when there were new posts. Rather than just checking in once a day to see if anyone posted (not likely). This also got me desktop notifications on posts.

That displays perfectly to me:

Are you clicking the expand icon in the top right of the post?

Signatures would create a nice boundary between posts.

No I wasn’t. Why do I have to click extra button to see the whole post?

Also, once I expanded, that is not what I quoted. I quoted one line from you and a line from me that you quoted. But when I expand my post, it appears that I quoted a whole buncha shit.

Testing.

Testing

That’s actually dope, it highlights the bit you quoted and show the whole post. haha, I like that.

1 BigUp

Is this new functionality? And can we get a quote button which works without highlighting text? On my computer, I often highlight different parts of a paragraph to facilitate reading; with the “quote” box appearing all the time, it kinda distracts from the main purpose - reading text faster… Just wondering, I usually have that function turned off, but I’d like to be able to quote even so.

Yeah it does seem weird there isn’t a quote whole post button, but I think that’s effectively the ‘reply to’ button function on every post.

I don’t think the quote functionality will be able to be changed though.