Stuff That Should Be Improved

@dubway, @jrkhnds:

To do that, what you want to do is set Consider topics new when to “I haven’t viewed them yet”; and Automatically track topics I enter to “always”.

Two other things:

• It doesn’t seem like you’re actually vetting users via SSO, so just letting Discourse handle logins should be fine for you. There’s actually a lot of spam protection around the default registrations that you just don’t get with SSO.

To do this, you’ll want to turn on “enable facebook logins”, “enable google oauth2 logins”, and fill out the API keys in the site settings; then flip off “enable sso” when you’re ready (or for a test run!)

• Can I get my username changed to “riking”? Go to my profile -> preferences -> pencil on username.

1 BigUp

Wow! Thats cool. Thanks! How do you know all this?

@4ndY should answer about SSO…

@4ndY can you change the username? I can’t.

I lowered it to 5.

1 BigUp

We use SSO because of accounts from the old forum and it would come in handy for later plans of expanding forum to a portal (with events, reviews etc.)

Changed. Just log in again (via SSO). Soon there will be an web interface for this on user-side. :wink:

1 BigUp

Okay. In that case, you’ll need to require email verification before letting new accounts use the forum. For people who signed up with Facebook or Google, their email is already verified.

I’ve submitted multiple patches for Discourse, and read most of the posts on meta.discourse.org, so I guess I picked it up along the way :wink:

I’m basically here as an ‘ambassador’ to make sure you get the best experience you can.

3 Likes

A lot of people talking about I’ll leave if this or that, but seriously, if you require facebook or google to use this site, I am out for certain.

I get emails when people post in threads that I’ve posted in. This used to be called a subscription, I think it is now called tracking?

But, I get emails when I post in a thread that I am subscribed to. That is annoying. I’ll make a post, get an email, “nowaysj has posted xxx”.

You from the old dsf?

If you don’t want emails, use “Tracking” instead of “Watching” and/or turn off emails for replies: “Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic”

seriously, I don’t understand this comment.

do you use facebook or google? no.
do you use this site? yes
=> do we require facebook or google to use this site? no

what is your point?

I don’t know if I understand you, or if you understand me.

I want to receive emails when people post threads I’m … involved in.

But I don’t want emails when I post in threads I’m … involved in.

A few posts up it was suggested that you solely use facebook or google to authenticate users.

Do you have the Send me an email for every new post (unless I mute the topic or category) setting enabled?

That’s called “mailing list mode”, it seems people want to have an archive of the whole forum in their email inbox.

That is currently the only way new signups are accepted; it was implied that that was temporary.

I guess I did not create an account when I came over here from the old forum, there was already an account here for me?

Can new users join without using facebook or google?

Is there a way that I don’t have to get an email everytime I post? I’m very aware I posted, because I just posted.

What I’m not aware of is that other people have posted, that is why I get emails.

no. but this applies only to new users, not to people with old dubstepforum.com account. this was a sacrifice we had to make to allow smooth transition of old accounts from old to the new forum.

we are trying to get registration working for new users who don’t have or want to use facebook or google account. our concern is that forum might be polluted with a lot of spam if we open registration to new users who are not verified by facebook or google.

Imo, this should be a high priority. Thank you for allowing me to continue using dsf.

Cool! Just wondering how this works when putting a video or image in tags, because
it probably doesn’t embed then:

[spoiler]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PKXYc6Ma1Q[/spoiler]

You dirty fnck.

the fuck

So to clarify:

There is no way that I can receive emails when people post, but not receive emails when I post?