Stuff That Should Be Improved

Yes, I’m aware of that. We use FB/Google for new registrations at the moment only because we still didn’t develop a satisfactory way for fighting spam (but will be there on some point and email verification will be required, of course).

In that case, it is really nice to have you here. I’ve read many topics on meta too, but still figuring things out. For example, if you have any idea how to introduce signatures (didn’t find any plugin) it would be really helpful because there is a strong demand for this feature in this community.

1 BigUp

Yeah, that’s really nice. Thanks!

2 Likes

@nowaysj, you are a really hard person with all these protests you are making. Why do you think that everything should be suited to you, and you even demand it momentarily?! I mean, calm down a little bit.

To give you a context which you are obviously missing and to know something about me (“because everything is so impersonal here”): I’m really far far away from being a “cloud-person” you called me: I don’t even use Facebook, Google or any other social or cloud network (DSF is only forum I use). I’m die-hard free software and GNU/Linux user in virtual world and politically I’m Marxist who despise mainstream and other products of capitalism’s way of production – so you couldn’t be far further from me in this anti-mainstream rhetoric, even on the Mountain Fortress. But instead of you, I do understand that things are not spinning around me and if most of people here use Facebook, Google or Apple’s products, I will have to adapt different priorities and fix their problem first, even I don’t ideologically agree with “their ways”.

But, to give you some consolation: there will always be a way to avoid Facebook/Google/etc. because I’m the first one who is aware of this issue. Or to be more concrete: you have an account here because I insisted that we need a direct migration tool for the old users.

So please stop your drama, and be reasonable. And maybe there will be sigs here at some point.

I am calm, baby, very calm.

:wwf: get that code working :wink: to understand.
What protests? Like I said, I don’t really use this forum anymore. The things I’m advocating for are FOR YOUR BENEFIT! Do you see that? I’m advocating for the people that have remained here. I feel that I have a pretty good grasp of why they are here. I would like DSF to continue. I really feel like the overlords really don’t get it, they don’t know why their few remaining users are still here. I’m trying to tell you.

Haha, that is heartening! And I’m glad to hear it! I’m sorry I disparaged you by calling you a cloud person, but I read that from your posts where you use old as synonymous with bad, and new as synonymous with good, which as we see on this forum, is not always the case.

I have no problem with the mainstream in of itself, it is only what has taken a hold of the mainstream, and where the mainstream is going to end up that I have a problem with. And my beliefs and actions are hardly rhetorical.

That is rude. I’m very well aware that the world does not spin around me. If it did, one, I would become very dizzy, and two, things would be quite different. As I’ve said here and elsewhere, I’m not so much of a user of the site anymore. These issues don’t really affect me. But I see this place hanging on by a thread, and I’d like to see the thread strengthened not weakened. People are here for the community. You feel like this platform enhances community. I don’t see it. I do see people’s personal expression covered with whitespace. If people can’t express themselves, there will be less community, less community, the thread breaks. Has dubway set a threshold for traffic, below which, it just isn’t worth it anymore?

Fix facebook, google, apple problems. Do whatever you’re supposed to do. You think you’re going to pull people off of facebook and have them engage here? I personally don’t see it. I think a better strategy would be to find all the misanthropes that remain in the underground, I believe they would build a stronger, more active community, but baring them entry through requiring facebook or google… not going to work.

But you have your priorities, you do what you’re supposed to do. Everything I say could generally be prefixed with imo, these things are just my opinion. When I post, and then other users say, “I agree,” or, lol, “that was so spot on I can’t even form a metaphor to describe it” that isn’t me being dramatic, that is your users telling you things you still refuse to hear.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it. :ok_hand:

As I implied, “I’m outta here if…” statements are silly, usually they mean I’d really like x to be like y, but I would be unable to use the site if it required facebook or google.

This is insulting. I’m not being dramatic. And I am being reasonable. I may not be structuring my communications in a way that you would prefer, but your users are telling you things, and you’re ignoring them, then you’re wondering where your users are going. I’m trying to tell you things you won’t hear. I’m trying to reach you. If I have to become insistent, or persistent, whatever, I’ll do it until I feel like you are registering the things I’m advocating for. And for the 9th time, it is not so much for me, and really even not so much for your remaining users, as they could easily find another home on the web, but for you (collectively, the owners), so you can keep DSF going, which is my only aim in saying all of the things I’ve said, and spending all the damn time I have typing all this BS.

1 BigUp

You deliberately misquoted me sir :fried_shrimp:

Glad we can continue the shrimpy tradition outside of WhatsApp now btw.

1 BigUp

:tongue:

No I didn’t?

Yeah, that’s the subject of an ongoing debate. Several things don’t - or shouldn’t - work when quoted, such as polls. Right now, if you quote a poll, it creates a new one…

The decision with signatures is that your “About Me” is your “signature”, but it’s a click-to-reveal. Put all your swag credentials in there, and anyone can click on your avatar to see.

@4ndY, apply this CSS style in Admin → Customize → CSS:

#user-card .bio .overflow {
  max-height: 150px;
}

1 BigUp

Hi @riking, I’ve put it but what do we get with it? We have increased space for “About me” text (from 60px to 150px) or do you have something else on your mind? Actually, what I thought is to put a “rich content” (such as sound-cloud sample) to a user-card to imitate old DSF signature…

1 BigUp

This is totally unacceptable. With one click, you can be in Timbuktu. We want sigs under posts.

[quote]This topic is clearly important to you – you’ve posted more than 23% of the replies here.

Are you sure you’re providing adequate time for other people to share their points of view, too?[/quote]

Lol.

did this message come from computer program (Discourse forum software)?

Yeah. It has all kinds of helpful suggestions for me.

2 Likes

Genius

Lol

Is it necessary to have both general discussion and a dubstep section under music?

can you foe/mute/block users on here?

At the end of user’s prefs there is a “Muted Users”… maybe this can help.

General Discussion (or any other part of the forum, except Music: Dubstep) is not genre specific

Well then my next question is whether general discussion is necessary when there is the music section.

I am also wandering the same: is general discussion necessary?
But to my surprise - there are actually some topics in GD right now which really fit there - so I guess that answers the question. You agree?