Stuff That Should Be Improved

There is a tracking bit below the last post in the thread, if you click that you can change the way it notifys for each thread

2 Likes

In every other forum, on earth and throughout the universe, for all time, you can set a preference to be automatically subscribed to a thread you’ve posted in, thus receiving emails when others post. Can Discourse do this? Can it be brought to do this?

Have the developers of Discourse ever used a forum before? They have omitted many of the most basic functionalities of forums in general. This is surprising and frustrating to me.

This is about it? I get emails all the bloody time

I was just getting emails for every post in every section from everyone, has completely flooded my inbox and my “promotions” box as well, which is also frustrating, having some emails go over there, as that is essentially a spam box.

So I have turned off:

• Send me an email for every new post (unless I mute the topic or category)

And I’ve turned on:

• Do not suppress email notifications when I am active on the site

But I’m not getting emails, in either inbox.

When I post, am I automatically signed up to “Watching” or do I have to set it each time I post in a new thread? When “watching” the notification that I should receive will be an email?

Thx.

From what I can tell, when I post I am not automatically set to “watching.” Is there a way that this can be done, as this is what happens on all other forums?

Is there a setting I’m not seeing in preferences to automatically “watch” threads I’ve replied to?

big ups! that works :clap:

i’d say it’s even better than the old foe function cause the users posts don’t appear at all anymore

Is there a way that we can do this automatically, as every other forum can?

No idea, @4ndY is yer man for that

A thread can be automatically tracked after X minutes of reading it. Maybe this is an option you are looking for? Or there is an option to subscribe to a specific category (top right corner of category view) where every post in the category can be tracked or watched.

Not exactly it, 4andY. Every other forum I use (or have ever used) has the option to subscribe, or in discourse speak, watch a thread that you have posted in. This functionality has been requested by several people in this thread, as this is standard functionality for forums.

Every other forum has this ability, does discourse?

Thanks!

What’s wrong with using “My Posts” at the top of the home page?

Like, how is that different? It doesn’t send you emails, but it basically just lists all the threads you’ve posted in, ordered by most recent post, and there’s an icon that shows whether or not there are posts you haven’t read yet.

Do you really want to be receiving emails? I don’t get that. IMO “my posts” is the best way of tracking that sort of thing.

1 BigUp

I can’t see what I’m typing on my tablet

I just tried mobile view too and I can’t see

I don’t really go on the forum itself. When I check my email, I’ll see a post in a thread I posted in, and the link in the email will be to the next post after mine in the thread.

All forums I use have this functionality, and have had it for many many years.

If you read this thread, you’ll see several people asking for this functionality as it is standard.

I’m not aware of what you’re referring to, “my posts” but I’ll look for it.

“My Posts” is literally the exact same thing as that but there’s no emailing involved. Personally I think that would be a lot better for you unless you like receiving a fuckload of emails.

I can take a screenshot to show you where that is when I’m home, currently out on my phone rn

I don’t really come to the site unless I get an email, I don’t even know the sites address, lol. Never been to the home page. But just went, saw that my posts. I’ll pass on that interface. I like getting the email.

But I get what you’re saying, with discourse, you only get an email for every post made or only when someone is replying or quoting you.

And to everybody that was asking for it, the answer is NO! And not just NO!, but you didn’t even want it in the first place.

You guys are classic developers.

1 BigUp

Nowaysj, boarding yahoo groups style

Can peeps logging in through social media change their nicknames? Would be useful for me lol

That’s already here. Please read this > “Change username”.

1 BigUp

i cant change my username

it says “log in first”

then i re-log in

& then it says UNDER CONSTRUCTION

so i click “profile” & change it & then nothing happens, goes back to UNDER CONSTRUCTION

EDIT: nvm had to log out & log back in

The whole design of DSF is a total mess now, sorry to say it.

What was even wrong with phpbb? For what reason did you switch to this new style and in what way is it meant to be an improvement?

3 Likes