Subwoofers?

I don’t approve of that edit.

i really dont give a fuck

got a ridic amount of pissy pms, flags, and just dummy behavior today and recently

We are grown adults posting on a forum about dubstep lol. Lets move on

meditate on bass weights and oils and whatever kept everyone mildly numb over the past decade or so.

mod edit: i drunk, dun test <3

2 Likes

Didn’t think you would.

1 BigUp
3 Likes

I like the subversive message there via porthole

1 BigUp

I would say whatever sub that goes with your monitors.(KRK Monitors - KRK sub etc.)

then again i don’t have one, so what do i know

1 BigUp

Submersive cats can be very subversive.

1 BigUp

what is the result of the cutoffs not matching? is this what produces standing waves? I have a small bedroom studio and recently picked up some 5" studio monitors (Genelec M030), as my condo has a shared partition with another residential unit. now I’m in need of a matching sub, but the unit I’m considering is the 7050a, which I’ve just learned does not have the ability to adjust the frequency cutoff to match… the 7640 will, though, but it’s over $1000 price difference (~$1200 vs $2500) is it really that big ofa deal if there is a 30 Hz overlap? would I be better off replacing the M030s with 8040s and staying with the 7050, or do I bight the proverbial bullet and splurge on the 7640, big 10" baller box?

I also have a qsc rmx 1450 not currently in use into which I could connect something that’s not the matching brand active sub if that would be a better route to go. obviously, I want it to be able to produce accurately, as this is for production and I have not skimped on any gear yet (Tech 1200mk2b’s, Pioneer DJM750, A&H Zed-10, and said Genelec M030 and unused QSC-RMX1450… I’m running Ableton Studio through a Scarlett 6i6 interface for the DAW mostly using HD-650 cans for headphone producing, but need to round out the studio with a real sub… keeping in mind I don’t want to overdo it and get myself any noise violations.)

could use some expert advise, please and thank you.

you most likely do not need a sub at all. Will prob get you into more trouble in a small space than its worth.

I’ve heard the M030s already, and they couldnt hurt to have a sub accompany them… but does it have to be the $2500 sub and could one get away with the $1200 one instead and not walk away disappointed is the question?

(shared partition neighbor is fairly bass-friendly, but not so much other folks in the building; we could have certainly benefited from double walls between units, but too late to complain about that now, as I’m ten years in to the mortgage, already! haha.)

spend the money on acoustic treatment instead imo, but if you’re dead set on getting a sub you might as well try out the $1200 one from a place that allows refunds

1 BigUp

True story:

I was at @Cyc’s recently while he was doing another amazing Material Sound show on SUB.fm and I was checkIng out the sound reinforcement he had going on and took this picture:

Later I was messing around with one of the newer AI image apps and mashed it with a random cat image as shown in this triptych:

I’d say this is a win.

4 Likes

that looks a lot like the product i’ve already got: 4" pyramid foam. on the ceiling where it meets the wall, around the entire room. have a little bit of untreated wall space, so perhaps one more box of that stuff and that should just about do it for this space.

You should look into bass traps/broadband absorption etc, the pyramid foam is only really good for early reflections i.e highs and upper midrange.

Its helped my room tremendously and I dont even have that much treatment in here. (Pyramid foam on the early reflection points, bass traps in the corners.)

The reason im pushing you away from a studio sub is that i truly feel like they are more trouble than they are worth when it comes to production (especially in an untreated room) but like I said, you can just buy the cheaper sub you want, and if its not cutting it, return and buy the more expensive one. :slight_smile:

lol @_ronzlo art#

1 BigUp

not at all: I asked for the recommendation, I don’t plan to ignore it. if the added treatment doesn’t do it for me, then I’ll move on to a sub later on. Lord knows my wallet will thank me! besides, I’ve seen some sweet treatments over the years, but never did anything beyond the pyramid foam. I’ll be sure to keep you posted once the selection has been implemented… perhaps in the “pic of your setup thread”. thx.

1 BigUp

Would anyone recommend a SubPac over purchasing a subwoofer?

Just found out my Alesis Prolinear 720 don’t go below 50hz.

good question, Luke–that one crossed my mind, as well, seeing as I can do quite a bit in the cans (which are decent, hd650… maybe trade the sub for a subpac to keep the neighbors at bay). my research turned up mixed reviews on that ship… looks like it can be achieved, but it’s not exactly the accurate reproduction usually striven for in studio monitoring.

update: ended up with Genelec M030’s and the matching 7040A. thankfully, the new (as of that last post–now having been over a year) neighbor upstairs is a fan of club music and absolutely doesn’t care how loud we get downstairs now.

ironically, i’m now the old fogey that needs quiet time (at least for a few hours before work: like midnight til six on schoolnights, anyway).

1 BigUp

Mangler! What’s up? Didn’t know you were a member here. Good to see you on the board. Hope everything is good.

Quick one for the soundmen. If I incorporate an active subwoofer alongside my standard hifi speakers, connect from the amp to the high level ins on the sub, then from the sub to the speakers, will the sound/tone of the original amplifier be nullified by the time it’s gone through the sub to reach the speakers? Aside from the crossover removing the low freqs from the hifi of course.

@cyclopian @AxeD @_ronzlo or whoever might have an idea :adios: