Subwoofers?

nah, it should just be a pass-through for the unaffected non-low freqs

the active amp on the sub will only hit the low freqs (or ideally thats how it should work for most active subs)

1 BigUp

Ah ok, safe. I was unsure if it all got re-processed within the sub before moving on but that’s good.

What sub and what amp are you using? The thru will generally be right after the input and before amplification, but I bet there’s models that work a bit differently. You mentioning a ‘high level input’ is making me curious.

1 BigUp

No sub yet, amp is an Onkyo A-9010. Just reading around and it seems for music you will want to connect via high level rather than low level inputs on the sub. Is that overly simplified?

?

2 Likes

Oh so it’s like a term from home theater sound. You see, I’m not sure those machines will
work the same as most active subs for PA or monitoring use. Although both types will likely
offer the option of crossing over on the unit or doing it externally. Bet they won’t have
balanced connections though, probably all RCA. Maybe that’s actually why you hit upon these?
Your hi-fi has RCA connections as well of course.

Again I’ve never used the terms ‘high-’ and ‘low level’, but I’d say it equates to speaker level
and line level, in that order. Completely differently signals gain-wise, you don’t want to interchange these.

With the a9010 and no external processing or cross over, I’d do it exactly the way you described in your first post. From the speaker out of the amp, to the high (speaker) level in on the sub
and after crossing over, from the high level out on the sub to the speakers. This output on the sub also has to be high level.
You could also leave the response of your speakers intact and just add sub to taste, by going
from the line out on the Onkyo to the low level in on the sub. I’d try this as well, depending on the
size of the biggest driver in you main speakers.

1 BigUp

Thanks yeah I’m just parroting the high/low level terms from that article mks posted

I will try both once I have the sub. The Mission’s roll off at 60hz but I’d probably set the crossover slightly higher so they can focus on the mids and highs and let the sub deal with the rest.