earth a run red, officer / mood dub

skreamizm vol II & vol V

toasty angel

vex’d fallen distance remix

roll with the punches

router

clouds protecting hands

2 Likes

Yeah theres some noticeable ommisions but big tracks are always going to get missed in a whittling down to 40

But as a representation of the sound its pretty good, and way better than most dubstep coverage on most mainstream sites these days

As an intro guide/list to the classic period its valuable imo

But yeah they should do a post-09 list really

To an extent I think that it’s unfair to compare dubstep coming out today to big tracks from 2005 or whatever. For one the genre was still relatively new back then so it would be fair to say that a lot of what was coming out was producers trying new things out as well as dubstep being relatively undefined. But right now dubstep has like what 14, 15 years behind it? The dubstep aesthetic has generally been defined at this point. I dunno if I said this right but it makes sense in my head b2b other reasons i cbf typing out rn

As someone said it needs:

Goth Trad- Cut End/Flags
Kode9- Backward/9Samurai

And to swap Memories with You&i/Router

But also

Loefah-Root/Goatstare (No.1 for me)
Loefah-Mud/Ruffage
WAR001
Mala/Coki- Sinners/Goblin
Silkie-Headbutt the deck/Horizon
James Blake-Air & Lack Thereof

2 Likes

yeah much as i kinda hate dungeon in general some siick tunes came out of that movement after 09, badman vip, hunted, trust nobody, some j kenzos and i think vivek really is one of the top producers in general not just in the present scene-something like soundman/feel it/spread love would certainly be in my top 10

Someone should tweet the list at Caspa :cornlol:

2 Likes

makes sense to not put post 09 stuff really. let’s face it that was the most “essential” period. after that even big tunes were & are more or less derivative, some producers were less active, dubstep started to splinter, focus was shifting towards uk funky, post-whatever, bro etc; and by 2005 a lot of the more obvious breaks, garage, even grime stuff was pushed to the fringes of the scene. so really when most of us think of dubstep it’s 2005-2009.

1 BigUp
5 Likes

i might be imaging it but isnt 1 on 1/ empire there?

if not… lol

Out of reach is the 1 for Vivek imo

Aside from square off / slippin

1 BigUp

Literally just listening to this :smile:

One of you nuts must have all 40 tracks? Be so kind as to bang out a mix of em all would you?

lol the only ones i haven’t got are ones i ain’t feelin, but some of the other suggestions in this thread have made me take a trip to discogs :badteeth:

I’m missing 6 plates, feel very fortunate to have bought the majority of these at £5.99 :grin:

1 BigUp

i’m missing alicia and the la roux remix - which i don’t like anyway

I’m missing:

39 Dusk + Blackdown ‘Focus’ / ‘Akkaboo’ (Keysound)
35 Rusko Babylon: Volume 1 (Sub Soldiers)
32 Various Production ‘Hater’ (Various Production)
24 D1 ‘Missin’ / ‘Cocaine’ / ‘Firin’ Blanks’ (Tempa)
19 Guido ‘Orchestral Lab’ / ‘Way You Make Me Feel’ (Punch Drunk)
18 Benga Invasion (Big Apple)

Don’t care for any of these except D1 and Guido, not sure why I never got these.

Still can’t believe there is no Loefah on the list???