The Dubstep Knowledge Base

So I want to create a knowledge base for dsf. Everyone is welcome to submit a (serious) edit to build the knowledge base which you can do by posting In the thread and I’ll edit in.

The knowledge base will be split into 6 categories. A history and definition of dubstep; key tunes; key producers; key labels and nights; plus mixing and mastering.

I’ll post these below.

Big up

Oracle.

A history and definition of dubstep:

Dubstep is a form of electronic dance music that evolved as an offshoot of UK Garage in the early 2000s. Dubstep typically between 135-145 beats per minute in tempo, includes heavy use of sub-bass frequencies and commonly features a “halfstep” drum pattern with a kick on the first beat of the bar and a snare on the 3rd beat of the bar.

It is worth noting that although the tempo and halfstep drum pattern are common features of Dubstep, these are not hard and fast rules and it is very common for Dubstep producers to experiment with different tempos and drum patterns such as the 2step rhythms commonly found in UK Garage.

The only universally agreed upon “rule” is the heavy use of sub-bass. The sound spawned in South London, namely Croydon, where the seminal Big Apple record shop, as well as other key record shops, had their origins. It was here that many now key DJs had their early influences and would trade beats which was not quite house, not quite garage. At 140 beats a minute originally, it differed from the 4x4 beat music that was in vogue at the time, and whilst still an unknown quantity in around 2004, it was slowly getting a cult underground following due to the internet and the easy way of sharing “dub plates” via instant messaging and so forth.

Key producers and DJs:

Hatcha was a big influence in spreading sound due to (citation needed) owning Big Apple records. It was here a young Skream would show Hatcha his beats and a bevvy of young underground talent either worked or hung out.

Key tunes:

Key labels and nights:

Mixing:

Mastering:

nvm

The knowledge base is DSF

Wheres the central hub tho especially mixing and mastering like the old forum had the bible

no it isn’t, not all dubstep is halfstep dude

2 Likes

I’m starting with a generic origin you’re welcome to submit an edit :wink:

Dubstep is a form of electronic dance music that evolved as an offshoot of UK Garage in the early 2000s. Dubstep typically between 135-145 beats per minute in tempo, includes heavy use of sub-bass frequencies and commonly features a “halfstep” drum pattern with a kick on the first beat of the bar and a snare on the 3rd beat of the bar.

It is worth noting that although the tempo and halfstep drum pattern are common features of Dubstep, these are not hard and fast rules and it is very common for Dubstep producers to experiment with different tempos and drum patterns such as the 2step rhythms commonly found in UK Garage.

The only universally agreed upon “rule” is the heavy use of sub-bass.

OK Ill edit that in

Dubstep is filthier than finding a ring in your dad’s pocket

3 Likes

Dubstep started in 93

Joe Nice - dubstep’s first “ambassador” to the US. I’m almost fairly certain Berlin was where dubstep first had a prevalent following outside of the UK.

all the knowledge you need

2 Likes

Dubstep is based on an amalgamation of Indian folk and classical music, and modern beats from different parts of the world. Dubstep really started in the South Asian region with the playback singer Ahmed Rushdi’s song ‘ Ko Ko Korina ’ in 1966, followed initially by Mohammad Rafi in the late 1960s and then by Kishore Kumar in the early 1970s.[42]

After that, much of Dubstep comes from the Indian Film Industry, and until the 1990s, few singers like Usha Uthup, Sharon Prabhakar, and Peenaz Masani outside it were popular. Since then, Dubstep producers in the latter group have included Daler Mehndi, Baba Sehgal, Alisha Chinai, KK, Shantanu Mukherjee a.k.a. Shaan, Sagarika, Colonial Cousins (Hariharan, Lesle Lewis), Lucky Ali, and Sonu Nigam, and Dubstep composers like Zila Khan or Jawahar Wattal, who made top selling albums with, Daler Mehndi, Shubha Mudgal, Baba Sehgal, Shweta Shetty and Hans Raj Hans.[43]

Besides those listed above, popular Dubstep singers include Sanam[44] (Band), Gurdas Maan, Sukhwinder Singh, Papon, Zubeen Garg, Raghav Sachar Rageshwari, Vandana Vishwas, Devika Chawla, Bombay Vikings, Asha Bhosle, Sunidhi Chauhan, Anushka Manchanda, Bombay Rockers, Anu Malik, Jazzy B, Malkit Singh, Raghav, Jay Sean, Juggy D, Rishi Rich, Sheila Chandra, Bally Sagoo, Punjabi MC, Beno, Bhangra Knights, Mehnaz, Sanober and Vaishali Samant.[ citation needed ]

Recently, Dubstep has taken an interesting turn with the “remixing” of songs from past Dubstep songs, new beats being added to them.

2 Likes

Hello, can someone tell me if Borgore is someone that the Dubstep scene supports? He seems good at producing but I recently saw “petty” and his lyrics and vibe, simply put, enraged me! I know he goes back to at least 2012, converted myley cyrus and the other one to sex fiends or whatever. Im all about hard dancing but his satanic message and arrogance pisses me off so bad I want to throw eggs(at the least) when he comes to play in my town. I’m confused because Im not trying to be a hater, or do something stupid :wink:

3 Likes