The Gender Gap in Music

Fair play - they’re okay

Hannah wants cant mix unfortunately

Pretty funny to watch tbf

Doesn’t seem to be much mention of career fields or difference in hours worked.

On aggregate?

Don’t forget the don Raggs!

Standard wiki link: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_pay_gap take as you will.
This is a good source for UK. https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/295833/Analysis_of_the_Gender_Pay_Gap.pdf government study, pay gap is 19%, decreasing through age.

1 BigUp

I’d never trust a wiki page…and yes, there is a gap, which is simply put down to choice of work/degree/lifestyle as pointed out in this

see: 2.3 SUMMARY

That report does rely heavily on the fact of women working less hours than men explaining the difference in pay. And what they coin ‘life choices’ meaning women are more likely to take lesser paid jobs, flexible hour jobs, less dangerous jobs and retire earlier. But does little to explain why this phenomenon exists. Of course child rearing is going to have a severe impact of employability, but another study http://www.aauw.org/files/2013/02/Behind-the-Pay-Gap.pdf shows that fresh out of uni, a pay gap exists between the genders and that men are still more likely to be employed in the first place.

Ah, yea the university one. Just scroll through this https://www.hesa.ac.uk/intros/stuintro1213 and check Subject Of Study

I think they’re both somewhat explainable. Once again comes down to field of choice. Both in regards to pay and available jobs in said field.

“I’d never trust a wiki page”

you don’t have to, any decently edited page will either have citations for claims or [citation needed] tags where there aren’t any

2 Likes

Wikipedia is actually very accurate.

3 Likes

Yeah ¨

On top of that, it’s just so incredibly illogical to think a physical encyclopedia would be more trust worthy

As if paper makes something more serious

It’s a silly buzz thing like…

this thing on utube bro it’s the trizzzzzzzzzzuth

Yeah i’m so sick of that in Uni

1 BigUp

That’s what i was referring to. Ive seen citations for quotes from tumblr pages.
Either way, wiki is a good starting place, but there’s no issue with digging deeper.

1 BigUp

I would say the gender gap doesn’t only exist in electronic music, it’s pretty much in all forms of music*.

Apart from the nurture/societal expectations thing, I do wonder whether it’s the way producing/DJing/composing is structured that makes it less appealing to women perhaps? Like for example the structure of typical production software or the way mixing platforms are set-up - could most women perhaps just find them unappealing to use perhaps because of their structural rigidity/clunkiness? Although from a nurture point of view, I guess they could also probably just be seen as boys toys.

*caveat: Western/Middle Eastern world. I’m not certain there is as much bias in classical/traditional music forms in the Eastern world

1 BigUp

Interesting.

Makes me think about Japan. I have family there and i tend to follow a lot of the music they listen to (personally). Percentage wise, there seems to be a higher number of female participants in the dance world, both production & djing.

i think the issue is, why should it be less appealing to women? it’s clearly just down to societal constructs of gender etc. which tell girls from a young age that there is a difference in hobbies and interests between them and boys. it may well be that what you say is true, but it’s kinda sad that it should be. there’s absolutely no difference between how male and female brains work or are structured at a young age - only when they grow up do we start to see differences, and the general consensus is that this is to do with these constructs

1 BigUp

might be going slightly off piste here but the last couple of posts made me think about when i spent a few nights in Chaing Mai in north Thailand and met this female dj. she was sick and really knew her tunes. i ended up meeting all her mates, a good mix of lads and girls, and they all new how to mix really well and had a good knowledge of tunes.
probs because their club culture isn’t as big and established as ours and they don’t have the whole ‘moody-looking white male dj’ picture thing going. dance music and djing is possibly something fairly recent to them so everyone gets to enjoy it with no preconceptions or prejudices towards male/female or w/e

3 Likes

I heard my name called….Hi!

There are so many reasons why women don’t get into just about everything…
Where do I start….

I personally - Have problems approaching men period.

I honestly can say - I’ve always stood sorta behind a boyfriend in things…
not because of “personal insecurity”….
but because of “situational insecurity”….

-women have to field all kinds of attitudes before they even get to doing the thing.

exp. an unattractive female has to be significantly more talented
to achieve the same amount of respect…

that’s unfair and mostly unattainable…
How many people come out from under that rock significantly more talented?

ok

An attractive female has to be prepared to handle an incessant barage of unwanted advances…
sometimes - from the very people they are soliciting help from…
that’s tricky right…
rebuff them - get pegged as a bitch…left to flounder
allow them - at the least, become an opportunistic tease…at worse a whore

Ok - Imagine being a female having to stay with strangers in a foreign land…
That’s not such an issue for men…but it really is or can be, a problem for females…

How many men know what it’s like to be the target?
You just gonna walk into the crosshairs like that!?!?
…what do you think we are stupid or crazy?

Guys probably don’t even understand this…
sexualization can bend the mind frames of females

• cause them to not be so - functionally open…

I could go on for days with this topic…

Just talking about it feels like I’m making - what if - excuses…

as a female - failing to get ahead of a what if - could equal a "rape"
an actual rape - a personal/reputational rape - a misunderstanding rape

you know - guys talk.

4 Likes

ok - a guy says some shit about another guy…
I bet most listeners or witness to the diss just thinks - whatever…dudes flexing

guy says some shit about a girl…
I bet the listener takes it as information…

I could be wrong here…I am especially sensitive to my own past perceptions

I’m just thinking as if women are on the opposing team…you dig?

1 BigUp

Women do not get invited to play golf.

1 BigUp