The Gender Gap in Music

There is an invisible dark force keeping women from being interested in this pedantic music.

2 Likes

also known as “the patriarchy”

I’m struggling to discern the levels of sarcasm in some of these responses, can you clarify for me that there ISN’T an invisible dark force (societal pressure, historic legacy etc) keeping women from being involved, but there IS some shadowy jewish cabal trying to destabilise western society by implanting the idea of of gender bias?

I can’t word that question without sounding like a sarky little shit myself, but please know, I’m genuinely curious in what you believe.

3 Likes

from a promoter’s point of view -
I don’t care if an act is male or female. I don’t book acts based on their gender, but on their merits. Are they a decent DJ? Yes? Great. Did they release anything worthwile so we can sell them to the audience? Yes? Superb, let’s get this person scheduled. In contrast to this, male promoters often set up ladies’ nights and the likes, with only female DJs playing. If you gonna book three or four good DJs and they all happen to be female, great, but why would you have to make a “concept” out of it? That’s patronising…

same standards apply, innit.

…btw there’s a decent amount of good female DJs where I’m from (like, female 1:2 male?). and a lot of “young ones” just starting to get somewhere. some of them though, and that’s the other side of the coin, got a bit of a headstart thanks to their gender…

3 Likes

The ½ jewish bit of my family that lives in los angeles would say basicly the same thing about media. I think the mistake is that the use of the word ‘control’ is so inconsistent, it can mean anything bad and the nature of a cliché in itself.

headstart :relaxed:

I can’t really answer it, either, without sounding like a snarky little shit, but that rarely stops me. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

In my answer is the appreciation of the ironic notions held by the programmed, who at one time can dismiss as paranoia the possibility of their own programming, while at the same time programmatically decrying the total control of other programmers. Not even a laughing smiley here, this doesn’t do it :laughing:

As well, I suggested that the form of music that many here enjoy is masculine in nature, and boyishly immature at that, and so probably the forum is generally not as interesting to women, as the forum is focused on boyish music and likely (and actually) populated with boyish personalities. And further, that it isn’t thousands of years of patriarchy that prevents women from liking boyish music, but their own taste, and involvement in their own lives, which they have constructed around their own interests which, again, they’ve selected without the help of well meaning patrons.

So, there was fair amounts of sarcasm and implication in my post, which you are likely to find in many of my posts. :cry: and I shed a tear because there used to be people here who could read that, from what I wrote.

2 Likes

got an exam on gender and sexuality in the ancient world 2morrow cba with this

2 Likes

I can’t tell who is trolling and being serious, such a fine line. I don’t see why so many females ( possible SJW) wish for women to be included just because they are female regardless of their skill.

1 BigUp

It’s a brain thing.

Men are better with computers and women are better dancers.

Affirmative Action

Is this a good thing?

See:

South Africa

Are you referring to apartheid?

Im referring to a system.

Got any data to back that up?

I remember most of the Hed Kandi nights I’d been to had mostly female djs. They were good and I’m sure they weren’t just picked based on ‘looks’. I don’t think there’s active sexism against female djs, not in UK bass genres anyway. If you start looking towards music that starts to curtail towards mainstream markets, then you get the usual barrage of ‘objectify-to-sell’ approach, but that’s not quite the case with djs.

For sure there’s a disparity of male vs female dj’s. Yet Flava D, E.M.M.A, Annie Mac, Hannah Wants, Barely Legal, Ikonika, Alley Cat are all great djs and I’ve never come across anyone who’s gone “oh wow it’s a woman behind the decks”. Nor do we don’t want to reach point where we get gender-quotas on line ups surely? Pick acts based purely on the sound.

There’s probably a lot more complex reasons why there aren’t many female dance-djs. You’ll find plenty of female singers in bands and singing auditions though compared to female djs on underground circuits in any genre. You’ll hear of sexism/objectification maybe in mainstream genres but I’ve never heard of such in dance music in Europe. Has anyone else?

As far as I’m aware, the decks are wide open for anyone. People just like to listen. I also think the Tumblr blog has overreacted.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Gender_pay_gap_statistics

lol great examples

“all great djs” lol