The Original Growl Bass Thread (Official)

My b, didnt think about it at the time. lmao

Don’t worry bout it

IMO when you use saws as the chords, use a another sound for the top notes of each chord, like the angry saw preset, or even a square, something that can cut in the mix, and stay in key.

well, there isn’t really any use of sounding like skrillex anyway. I just thought it was pretty good.

I like how someone renamed this thread to circlejerk, that’s effectively what this has become

4 Likes

I tried making my processing chain as efficient as I could. So after some hints from lovely people in my discord this is what I got out of just massive. 3 growls, slightly different presets. no processing at all other than the master chain.

The secret to growl basses is frequency shifter you can all kill yourselves now your welcome

2 Likes

looooool

Lol

Herp

I liked it on the old forum when it wasn’t just about people posting every single growl fucking patch they made.

2 Likes

Hey I know that guy…

Derp

Sonny emailed me personally and told me to tell all you guys to fuck off. Not my words it’s his.

Hey guys,dansci and Animemeish are actually the same person…

no

Proof or no balls

Because I agree with the idea that this thread has turned into a circlejerk, and because I’m also not a sook that complains about something instead of contributing a solution, here are a few things:

Massive, Operator, FM8, Sytrus, Serum, etc. No one VST will give you a better growl, some of the best sounding shit I’ve made has come from a simple saw wave, a lot of other artists would likely vouch for that too or due to different processing suggest a sine or a square etc. Fancy wavetables mean nothing, complicated patches mean nothing. Everything will come from post-processing.

You won’t get anywhere from begging other people or expecting anyone to give you the exact secrets to making a good bass, it just won’t happen. Skrillex hasn’t given out any of his growls or many of his techniques simply because if he did, what he has that makes him special is gone. Same way as you won’t see @Desembra or @Spitfya come here and spill absolutely everything to you.

Think about your processing rack as if you were loosely following a recipe, you don’t put the flour in the oven before you mix in the milk and eggs. Take it a step at a time and figure out the recipe. Start off with just a Saw wave, then think a little bit, a saw wave by itself isn’t going to do you favours, what will? Filtering, phasers, compression, distortion, etc.
Here is literally one of the best patches I’ve ever made for growls. I’m only showing it because, with it alone, it’s useless to you. You have to put in the hard work like everyone else has to get better.

On a growl I usually have 2/3 phasers, all different shapes and on different frequencies. Unless you have a phaser plugin you are comfortable with, Serum gives you the best control over phasers. Most of the growly-ness comes from this, but anyone that’s serious about making good stuff should atleast know this.
Filtering, a high pass obviously, and sometimes a notch. That’s it.
Everyone knows about OTT, it’s not a big magic secret, I think in an interview Skrillex as well as Must Die said that they use it on almost every sound they’ve ever made. Learn it, live it, love it. It’s your best friend.
Distortion? If you need help with that, none of this is any use to you, go onto youtube and search “How to make growly wub wubs” and start from the start, because it’s pretty self explanatory.

I think what people are missing is that no-one will give you everything, no-one will work hard on perfecting a sound only to give it out to people that haven’t put in the work. Hell you might get incredibly lucky like Anime did and befriend people and take advantage of their trust, but do you really want that? Anyone who is anyone, Skrillex, Must Die, Desembra, etc. Has put in the work by themselves and gone through years of frustration, anger, experimenting and more to get where they are.
While I agree that this thread is nothing in comparison to the old thread, what do you expect to come from this? a rehash of old information? If you went a day and read through that entire thread you most likely wouldn’t even be here, Barely Alive and others basically told you everything you need to know. None of it will come free or easy, and to expect people to put in the time for you is idiotic.

To put it simply, if tomorrow any of you discovered how to make a perfect Skrillex bass, I can guarantee that you wouldn’t come back here and tell everyone exactly how you did it.

6 Likes

Yeah I haven’t commented in a while but I see how the thread has turned into a circle jerk and I don’t really like it either. I like that this is addressed though. I used to read in this thread a bunch and people were sharing actual information instead of just begging. But anyways yeah.

I love you man, not for this information, but just for clearing up this thread.

Generally if you want to talk about growls like a normal person without it turning into a shitstorm, I recommend you just collect some friends and do it on skype. As any public place will be a big target for boasting and assholes.

Also dansci / animemeisch, please get out of here. You aren’t making this place any better for anyone.

And with that, I’m off. I’ll become a lot less active here, have a good one.

3 Likes