Thinking In My Pajamas

Remember that guy on the old forum who thought I was a noob ā€œtelling me offā€ for saying you should go microtonal?

:heart_eyes:

1 BigUp

It was interesting, maybe good for someone starting to explore microtonality. It gets me that he doesnā€™t mention any of the Western instruments that can achieve microtonality like trombones, violins, cellos, upright bass, and fretless electric bass. Sure, most people that play them in the West use Western scales but you are not limited to that.

I should also point out the Buchla synthesizerā€™s touch strip and any other touch strip synth. Buchla wanted to get away from being confined to Western tuning.

Saw his lordship Dave Smith talking about Buchla, he was like Moog and Buchla were basically neck and neck, and Buchla went with a finger board, and Moog went with keys, and Moog crushed Buchla.

But fuck that, I want a finger board, somewhat like animoog, lolzers.

1 BigUp

+piano keys are super racist

1 BigUp

Sometimes, hubb, youā€™re so anti racist that youā€™re actually a little racist.

no doubt about that

same with sexism

whatā€™s a good way to get into the modular/generative game? stuff to do with generating algorithms for music

1 BigUp

Peep untoldā€™s RBMA, he chats about this stuff.

1 BigUp

Itā€™s too expensive in the first place to get you far enough ā€˜removedā€™ (removed in the positive sense) from the spot where just one sick additive synth could take you. Basicly what Iā€™ve seen happen to people that get that bug (every fucking time), is that they tend to even forget about the music and the production itself - just because itā€™s that awesome. Like the gardening of sounds. Damn Tamagotchi ass bitches :corndance:
Still, a bit like that film where those two lads build that hot robot chick.

But what a hobby it could beā€¦ daaaamn.

I think a sherman filter bank and a good synth is maybe not enough but very deeeeeeeeeep still in comparitive terms.

Iā€™ll have to check that filterbank. Currently on the classic PSP Nitro, got some crazy ideas but iā€™d like to vary it some more

They make so much of a difference, filters are probably my favourite tool along with reverb

1 BigUp

Iā€™m desperate for a good vst filter.

Will probably go for this when I find $50 in the street.

Iā€™ve got some stuff to say about hubby, in contradiction, of course. Hubb and I morphing into polar opposites. I may have to release my north pole death metal assassins.

talking specifically about modular obsession

and not just hardware obsession

i see all the promise and potential it holds and im envious

but imo thereā€™s an all-encompassing stamp collector obsessive side to dealing with modular synths and that

Untold mentions a guy who makes them, you could just buy one and switch a few parts in/out as issues come up. I feel like it can be as practical as your approach to it. If you just dive in and buy all the modules, then yeah, have fun with your thousand dollar stamp collection innit lol.

prefer the spelling pyjamas if iā€™m honest

Going down the semi-modular route right now. I have a Korg MS-20mini arriving tomorrow. With that plus the SQ-1 and the MicroBrute, Iā€™ll have a small semi-modular setup. With the MicroBrute, that will give me a Steiner-Parker filter, another oscillator, envelope and another step-sequencer. I canā€™t wait to hear what kind of craziness ensues.

2 Likes

Im talking this stuff tbf

https://www.google.dk/search?q=modular+system+synth&safe=off&espv=2&biw=1680&bih=917&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCoQsARqFQoTCKazsYj3hMYCFUmTLAod4SMBnA

I know what you are talking about. Semi-Modulars will interface with those with cv/gate. It is one step closer to going down the rabbit hole.