Thoughts on Skream having left Dubstep?

Techno is old, not denying that but as far as Skream goes it’s experimental since its steady 4/4 and he’s typically done 2 step tunes

I actually got to chiak* the Wife Beater on here
(*Aussie for lightly taking the piss)
sometimes the lone dancer at his first gig in Sindey (amazing)
and photographed him worse-for-wear years later.
I’ve taken a paternal interest ever since
whilst worrying about his state of mind (a al Bengs)
which is not to say I know him nor have any particular insight into his being.

That said, I’m glad he’s left & hope he never comes back
because I suspect it would only be to fan past glories
and be the act of a desperate man.
Another way to put it would be:
edit
no that’s unwarranted
&, hopefully uncharacteristically, abusive
probably prompted by my disappointment in Skream’s career choices.
I understand that he was going to run out of dubstep ideas; he was so prodigious…
but it’s hard to believe his attempts in other compositional areas can be so bland & uninspiring.
It’s like his creative daemon has quit…
I hope it can be persuaded to return
perhaps by addressing his motivation
& becoming true to himself again.

or is that me projecting my own problems?

1 BigUp

maybe you are projecting your own problems. well stated though.

I think it’s just hard watching an innovator appear to go backwards towards less innovative sounds.

Some of you are old enough to remember when Photek did the same thing with that ‘Solaris’ record. How you gonna go from one of the most exciting new sounds around to fucking four on the floor honky-pokey?

But we’re not in those dudes’ shoes either. Enough smoke gets blown up one’s ass and any of us could do something similar or worse…

2 Likes

I remember hearing Photek play techno at DEMF and thinking it was all kind of just average. Somewhat of a disappointment. I think it was him anyway…it was one of the old school DnB guys.

A Guy Called Gerald?

Confession time: I still rate Solaris.

2 Likes

A lot of people do. If you’re into house it’s actually a relatively solid release. It’s just that I’m allergic to excessive OONtsss OONtsss OONtsss.

Yeah, rating Solaris too, even if it’s soooo subpar compared to his previous releases.

Fun fact: nowadays, Photek deals with the soundtrack for the tv show “How to get away with murder”

solaris is a lot better than the dnb shit he did in the 2000s imo
fair enough if you don’t like house but just cause it’s dnb doesn’t mean it’s innovative or even interesting

same thing with skream. in the years leading up to his change in style, his music got progressively worse for the most part

side note: and i the only one who thinks “halogen” and “lost blue heaven” off solaris sound kinda dungeon lol

1 BigUp

exothermic reaction was from 2011 and i dont think its that bad. the whip effect for the snare gets annoying pretty quickly though

you fool, thats the best bit of the tune

anyway Skream has given us loads of classics, let him shit in buckets and do coke off models tits with jackmaster now, hes put in work

6 Likes

Do you think they banged?

3 Likes

I haven’t given it much thought funnily enough…

weird guy

5 Likes

He is weird but it is a valid question imo

4 Likes

skream is a lesbian so i dont think they did

2 Likes
1 BigUp

Extremely mid. Sounds like a FL special