Top 5 favourite albums

edited as to not offend

Dance music doesn’t have that many good albums imo. none that make it to my top ten for sure

1 BigUp

if I’m real some of my fav albums are prolly the first 2 prodigy albums and Leftism

Again not something I listen to much these days but I had a good fuckin time with those as a yungin

yea i used to love the prodigy tbf.

Nick cave and the bad seeds has to be a close runner up with murder ballads. that album makes me so happy even though every song is about killing someone.
One of the singles:

Five well known records that I’ve been into for a while:

Talking Heads - Remain In Light
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Tepid Peppermint Wonderland (can’t choose 1 album)
Tame Impala - Lonerism
Blonde Redhead - Misery Is A Butterfly
Bill Evans Trio - Portrait In Jazz

At the moment, five is too little though. There’s not even a punk or techno record
in there.

Yeah I wouldn’t even know where to start with “dance” Lps. Weird electronic stuff sure but there isnt a dance music album I would consistently put on outside of maybe The Bug- London zoo

this seems to be a widespread opinion but I really disagree with that - plenty of albums I’ve really enjoyed in the past few years alone.
Obviously it all depends on taste (as well as relation to specific formats - I’ve always had a special connection to CD personally as that’s what I started collecting when I was 13), but I also think the reason why it seems hard to do top 10s with dance albums is that they’re usually not old enough to achieve “classic” status. Obviously there were already dance albums in the 90s, but in a lot of cases they seemed to try to fill the whole length of a CD which ultimately meant albums that were too long. More recently albums have shortened and stuck to specific concepts (see Pearson Sound or Mumdance & Logos this year for instance), which makes for more consistent albums. We have a lot of them though, so time hasn’t already done a selection through them like it’s done for rock bands of the previous decades for instance. hence we usually picking albums that gathered attention away from the electronic circles (see this thread: Burial, The Bug, The Prodigy; I guess people would also pick Goldie’s Timeless for instance).

all down to speculation though of course

2 Likes

A very good post and on point. I just meant that for me dance music has never really been in my favourite albums. My musical background is like what my parents listened to (nirvana, pavement, sonic youth, flaming lips, beck, faith no more, pixies, the cure, Siouxie and the banshees to name a few off the top if my head) these have all made fantastic albums which I have listened too from a very young age so when I hear a dance album I might enjoy the tunes or aspects of it bit I never seem to get a lot from the album as a whole. I mean there are obvious exceptions but yea. I’ve changed so much in what I listen to but my childhood bands are still somehow my favourite.

imo it’s also down to length and the way tunes are structured that affect replayability and make dance music albums (especially if it’s a genre workout album) a little harder to digest . mix cds are probably better suited but it’s harder to market them and make them stand out, even in the dance music world.

all vocal heavy. thus catchier and less abstract.

i think it also has a lot to do with the forward nature of dance/electronic music. while throwbacks do happen from time to time, it’s more a recontextualisation of certain sounds rather than trying to bring back certain artists

imo rock could learn from electronic music and stop all this “classic albums you need to listen to”/“top 100 albums of the 19xxs” business

not that classic albums or w/e are bad or anything but they create this sort of expectation to like them when it’s usually just marketing rather than the music that stood the test of time.

remember as a kid always checking out “seminal” bands and most times being underwhelmed.

had a look at my top listened albums over the past 6 years on last.fm and the oldest one is from 2000 lol and most recent one from last year

(wolf’s probably gonna have a seizure lol)

(also not saying “new” is better. just personal preference)

I dont listen when some one uses the word classic. classic usually means shit huehueheuh

1 BigUp

If I would list some of my favourite electronic albums, most of them would not
really be classified as dance. Except maybe LFO - Frequencies, Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville
and AnD - Cosmic Microwave Background.

Rest would be stuff like Autechre, Perc, Global Communications and Aphex.

Bring me the horizon…

This is always in my top 3 and it barely even has vocals

1 BigUp

I’m just gonna list some albums I like as it’s hard to pick just 5

The Beatles-Number 1s (ok a greatest hits collection in essence but so many percies on there)
Burial-Untrue
Bloc Party-Silent Alarm
Bob Marley-Legend
Feeder-The Singles…as with the Number 1s album a greatest hits
Arcade Fire-Funeral
Fleetwood Mac-Rumours
Fleetwood Mac-Tango In The Night
Foals-Antidotes
The Streets-A Grand Don’t Come for Free/Original Pirate Material

Oh “In Rainbows” by Radiohead too

But where is Oasis?

Good point.

Between The Buried And Me - Colors
Cardiacs - On Land And In The Sea
Cardiacs - Sing To God
Sikth - The Trees Are Dead and Dried Out, Wait For Something Wild
The Mars Volta - Deloused In The Comatorium

1 BigUp

I don’t particularly listen to many albums anymore unless its hip hop/dub.

Augustus Pablo - King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown
The Congos - The Heart Of Congos
Madvillain - Madvillainy
NAS - Illmatic
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

… + Burial, Songs In The Key Of Life, Purple Rain, Richard D. James ect.

I apologise for the extremely boring list lol, its so hard to pick my favourite albums so I just pick the standard.

2 Likes

my mum is seeing wu-tang, fka twigs and grace jones today lol
(no joke)

1 BigUp