Tuna - The Legend Continues

nahh, you already have more de niro and it sounds good!

alright, feedback time, also im pretty drunk rn, but this is when i like to listen to music the most

@BudSpencertron i canā€™t really say anything about these, tomorrow rmx is a fucking banger and i will be rinsing it soon. There might just be a tad too much bass in both mixdowns, but that might just be my sub-standard ada converter.

@jizz really dig this piece, I think some EQā€™ing on the low/mid area could help create more dynamics in the tune, that area in the mix feels overly chunky at the moment and seems to be sucking some energy out of the mix. It might actually be a mix down thing, it feels quite flat. Some variation in volume of the various parts would really help I think. My other idea is a simple one but tough to pull off correctly: a subtle layer of sidechained ā€˜whiteā€™ noise ala basic channel would really help this tune feel organic and alive, esp in the intro and bridge section. If you get the side chain right, the levels right, and the certain kinda noise right, it creates this subtle breathing effect that acts a counter rhythm and also adds some sonic density to the ting. Hope this makes sense, like I said Im a bit wasteman at the moment. If you want some tips on the technique i have in mind i can elaborate.

@Samuel_L_Damnson I dont have too much to say about this tbh. I like it. Some drum chops on those hand drums i.e repeats, half notes, even a few reverses at key times could really swing the tune out imo. Might also want to play with separating the upper harmonics from the sub on the bassline and bringing the sub up and leaving the harmonic layer as is. Would add a lot of heaviness without drowning the tune in low/mid mud. I think the bass would move a lot more with a heavier sub interacting with that lovely upper harmonic. A simple duplicate channel and filter/EQ each one separate thing would work well I think.

@faultier Youā€™re back in prime form, loving this one. I think the vocal from the back ground sample (?) could be brought up just a tad more if possible. Also, I think weā€™ve all said this many times, make a full fuckin tune m8! Youā€™re a tease. I could easily see this being 4 minutes long with a proper structure.

Anyways, everyone absolutely killed it this time. Great start to tuna 16. Always super rad to see everyoneā€™s different styles in this. Big up you all. Little downs to @hubb who barely ever makes it into this and should.

p.s @nowaysj we miss u, make an alt and join in if need be. I believe yeswaysj is not takenā€¦yet.

1 BigUp

By this point Iā€™ve kinda re done the mix and made it more bassy but lofi. Got more hip hop for this weekend boiz. Nice feedback, will def switch the drums up one the arrangements sorted

woii thats a great idea actually, so having sounds kinda playing with each other yeah? cos right now its all just moving flatly forward

fordback:

@BudSpencertron strong remixes the both of them. really liking that arpeggio coming halfway through in crone
what you did with tomorrow is wicked :heart:

@Jizz agree with cyclopianā€™s comment on the mixdown sounding a bit off, also feel like having more reverb/delay on a few elements here and there could make it more lively. you should double down on the lofi aspects and make it much grittier, like rn that tune is the weirdo kid no one likes at school, but if you grow it a moustache itā€™ll pick up all the chicks

as a sidenote, that blue to mist tune, wouldnt mind having a go at the stems if you want to send em my way

@cyclopian sick one mate, very impressive use of the stereo field. mixdown sounds a bit too gritty at times on my headphones, but iā€™m guessing the 192 stands for kbps? which might be the issue here. also feel like the kick could cut through the mix a bit more.

@Samuel_L_Damnson smooth vibes on this one, would like to hear these keys more, not sure if its you playing or a sample but it would be nice to have variations in that melody. mixdown is tight. also yes, drum edits here and there. like you have the elements right, just needs a bit more structure imo

@nowaysj on the off chance that you read this, seconding the motion for you to make a glorious comeback, you hermetic dissident you

great start to 2016 guys, but tuna aint a sprint its a marathon so whoā€™s got something for tomorrow? (disclaimer: i have 8 bars for now)

3 Likes

I have something for tomorrow

look like an extremist when i grow that tache :confused:

sent new tuna!

ok bit late :confused:
@Jizz
i like the intro but i think its even a tad too spare maybe some tiny reverb inbetween the pauses or noisefloor or sth at the start
really nice layering though very idm
i like the mix its not sharp or anything but warm
maybe tiny bit harsh at some notes like tiny eqs could make it even warmer cuts at the tops
i get bit lost in the middle haha hm but does work
yeah maybe this part is too long or too straight kinda maybe some reverb or sth different one to switch it up
i think again more like computer game music haha than it would def work this sound in the end i need it earlier very nice place adds alot
def bring this earlier as a counterpart

@cyclopian
dig the dubhorn
yeah haha the intro :slightly_smiling:
haha dub like it hm the sub is warm but maybe too clean? maybe add some tube or sth on top or like tape effect or sth
but its a nice groove
maybe halftime section?
yeah the sax
ah like the start of the second part bit more often the slow sub earlier maybe 2 times or sth
and some vocals could add like shouts or short sung parts (just me though i guess)
but overall i dig it sounds not too digital or anything

@Samuel_L_Damnson
haha dif sound from you
you played all the instruments in or some samples?
i dig how and where in the stereo you placed the sounds
hm its not stuff i am good at so i cant give tips haha sounds good though i like the strings later could make a dif style if oyu focus on the strings more later or sth

@faultier
short instrumental haha :scream:
maybe you can let the clap hang even more behind or like bit behind some kind of shuffle every now and than
and maybe its bit too prominent tiny bit or the rest bit louder
and i personally would sidechain the kick tiny bit more or layer sth highendy like vinyl or sth
but it grooves nicely but yeah i think the snare/clap might be tiny bit too big?

and yeah i think i have sth but its ā€œfinishedā€ again but that was what i worked on i will send it in anyways :slightly_smiling:

The only sample I used was the break I think everything is played in. But cheers man!

cyclosporine
https://soundcloud.com/cyclopianarchitects/tb12/s-YGTjd

jizz syrup
https://soundcloud.com/relka/yann-unit-5/s-cjbHT

budget truck rental
https://soundcloud.com/unimoguri/i-need-mog-remix

fault tree
https://soundcloud.com/dfaultuzer/nard/s-UaQ5H

damn son itā€™s a late entry
https://soundcloud.com/gnrldubs/new-beat-wip/s-igYgC

1 BigUp

Sup dude, hello Tuners.

Very quickly, I donā€™t see a nwj comeback happening. Yā€™all are great, but the ownership and management of this site can suck it as far as Iā€™m concerned, so I donā€™t want to contribute to their continued existence online. Also, the interface and thus vibe of this forum is so utterly shit, I canā€™t stand to be here.

Also, my disability has progressed and is somewhat extreme, Iā€™m unable to work under or meet deadlines. I work only when I can, and that is infrequent and unpredictable.

And finally re TUNA!, I appreciate alls yā€™alls music greatly, but it became increasingly clear to me that I was up to something different than what yā€™all were doing. Therefore, your critique of my work became increasingly irrelevant to me, and my thoughts about your work were increasingly irrelevant to you.

You guys are the best, had a great time with yā€™all, never gonna forget.

Wish you all the best personally, and with your work.

PS Korgā€™s Minilogue looks/sounds sick, check that shit out. Might have to sell what Iā€™ve got left to fund dat.

Peace, nwj audi nine thousand.

2 Likes

eh, shame, tuna just isnā€™t the same without you (yes homo)

glad to hear from you though, thanks for dropping by, hope the life is sweet in your mountain fortress

put that shit on SC anyway :blowfish:

yeah

just want to say nice ā€˜meetingā€™ you bro. Youā€™re a peach (still havent learned english)

:heart: + :rocket:

Yeah, well, just bring some sabor to it. Start needlessly insulting people, setting up petty rivalries, should start flowing again. :slightly_smiling:

Like, Cyclopian is a one eyed bitch, he went to the eye doctor and got a prescription for a glass. Ba doom tish.

Re the Mountain Fortress, life is so unbelievably sweet here. Iā€™ve lived on both coasts, and all around the rim of this country, but never in a place like this. No crime, neighbors all know each other, we all share soups, baked goods, and produce grown in our gardens. It is so rewarding I cannot begin to tell you. Everyone is prepared, each family has a years worth of food stored for each family member, everyone is armed.

There is a storm raging outside right now. The snow is not falling, it is flying completely horizontally. It looks like the snow fell sideways. The ground isnā€™t getting snow, the sides of things are getting snow. Like when you were a kid and you imagined gravity turning off, and falling up into the sky or your ceiling, well here gravity has been rotated 90 degrees.

Awesome.

Re sc, yeah, Iā€™ve got a sc that I use to listen to what Iā€™m doing downstairs, while Iā€™m upstairs.

https://soundcloud.com/workingprogress-305577330/hh-82-rhode-morning

I put the link to a sc track, but I donā€™t even know how to embed sc links anymore :slightly_smiling:

Anyway, thanks for your kindness, I wish I could gather up all the good people Iā€™ve met online and bring them together into a single community. Iā€™m sure the fruit from that garden would be immense.

:four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Well, youā€™re a daisy.

And, forever:

1 BigUp

@nowaysj
yeah was fun though back than :smile_cat:
and yeah feedback for me its more like meeting people who do the same as me even if its just online cause believe me its hard to find people here who even understand what i do haha

but yeah in the end you should do what you want

:gunfinger:

:heart::heart::heart:

just miss your ways

hope your good - sounds like it !

Its good to hear from u man. I get what ur saying about this place. I left for a few months and now Iā€™m only rly here for the tuna.
Big up for being the most encouraging and generally top guy

now for some feedback:

@cyclopian nice take on the original. mixdown-wise, maybe its just my headphones but the lower end of the mix sounds a bit too overpowering compared to elements higher in the spectrum? not sure if itā€™s something you intend to work on again, but i feel like chopping bits of the accapella and going all glitchy/timestretchy/what have you a la milanese could add a nice twist. maybe iā€™d lowpass the plucky string thingy a bit, or some transient shaping maybe? like thereā€™s a sharp clicky noise when it hits its especially audible in the outro

@Jizz good stuff, i like how it evolves. i feel the bass is too loud in this one too so its likely my headphonesā€¦ the organ-ish synth in the third part sounds really good until the bass drops again, then it feels like theyā€™re fighting for the same part frequencies. maybe some EQ or messing around with the stereo could help? also not sure if voluntary or vinyl sample but thereā€™s some cracks here and there like 1:47 and 2:41 and 2:52.
other than that, strong tune, just needs some minor embellishments structure-wise, possibly subtly hinting at the vangelis-like long attack synth during the intro to make it less samey, and bringing back those glassy percussions when you bring the beat back, like with a different pattern or something?

@BudSpencertron cheesy as fuck, but man thatā€™s good shit. i really dig the grime influence in your production lately :gunfinger: canā€™t hear anything blatantly wrong with the mixdown. maybe the panning of the horn-like sound after the breakdown is bit too extreme but again, headphones so idkā€¦

@Samuel_L_Damnson large up the <2min beat crew, hard to critique, mixdown sounds alright to me, maybe i would layer something over the snare to make it snappier. also the melody could definitely be a bit more complex. i feel this could be longer and with a proper structure, but who am i to talk

@nowaysj i still consider this a formal tuna submission for this week, so have my irrelevant ramblings. to add insult to injury iā€™ll reitirate my comparison with 90ā€™s planet mu stuff. not sure the 4 to the floor on this one works for me but then again the contrast with the melody works quite well. actually you should check out mike paradinasā€™ SC if u havent, heā€™s posting loads of old unreleased stuff that would be right up your alley.