What is dubstep?

Bit of a Scuba mix from 2003.

http://alpacafiles.com/mixes/view/102

noice

lol ok.

2 Likes

2 Likes

That is in no way exclusive to dubstep though. You can make an equal case for dub, techno, drum and bass etcā€¦

1 BigUp

I donā€™t think itā€™s as emphasized in any of those, is it?
More just about how those musics came to be from predecessors than it was as a result of force, for lack of a better term, in dubstep.

I dunno about techno, but definitely for drum and bass and for Dub. Sound system culture essentially came out of Dub music and well DnB has bass in the name for one

1 BigUp

yes but youā€™ll have a hard time finding a fetishisation of ā€œbig systemā€ comparable to dubstepā€™s.

What about in Dub music though?

I kinda regret that post now as the quote is one personā€™s interpretation of what the sound is to him, rather than an attempt to define it objectively. So if thatā€™s what it is to someone else too then fine. I was trying to nail down the characteristics of what makes a tune ā€˜dubstepā€™ before, what qualities it would have that are non-transferable to other genres, and for me Rufage sums it up about as well as anything. Maybe the whole idea is a bit of a wild goose chase.

didnā€™t loefah introduce the half-step beat to dubstep in 2004

1 BigUp

nah mustā€™ve been around the time Goldie invented the amen break.

1 BigUp

also halftime beats arenā€™t exclusive to dubstep. for instance digital has been doing halftime dnb years before dubstep was a thing

thereā€™s nothing inherently characteristic to dubstep

No, really. I believe it was Horror Show.

1 BigUp

Dubstep is dark style atmospheric jungle pitched down to a hip-hop bpm.

Burial is obviously garage infused - Uk garage infusedā€¦I totally agree with thatā€¦
That may be the strongest element defining his workā€¦

itā€™s Emo Garageā€¦

ā€¦ā€¦and UK Garage is Bell, Biv, Devoeā€™s Poison - Bomb Squad

so there you have it - the definitive history of it all because I knowā€¦ā€¦.lol

I donā€™t know SHIT about UK Garageā€¦.your gonna have to teach meā€¦.

ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.Susanna Hoffsā€¦ā€¦ha

ā€¦beautifulā€¦.

ā€œIts music that invites you to dance, but doesnt force youā€ - Mala

1 BigUp

Seen a few things here about it being ā€œdarkā€ or ā€œhip hop bpmā€.

Dubstep isnā€™t ALWAYS dark, it isnt ALWAYS bassy, it isnt ALWAYS a-tonal, it isnt ALWAYS jump up, it isnt ALWAYS deep, it isnt ALWAYS tribal. The only thing that it is ALWAYS is around 140bpm, and that is itā€™s inherent beauty, that it can be whatever you want. It can be a melting pot of ideas from anything from dub, jungle, garage, grime, pop, japanese fart whistle folk, whatever - as long as its around 140bpm (meaning it isnt hip hop bpm at all).

Itā€™s a hip-hop bpm to a person thatā€™s been rolling at 180ā€¦

So really itā€™s half step - and the logic is that half of 180bpm
incorrectly makes it 140ā€¦But I understandā€¦

In fact, Iā€™m gonna sit my dick out right here for yaā€¦.tick, tick, tick, tick, tickā€¦.tick, tick

This is the ā€œCirclesā€ of Dubstep isnā€™t itā€¦.?..or is this Garage?

Hold onā€¦.Iā€™m goinā€™ inā€¦yes, Iā€™m badā€¦chase me outā€¦

Hyph Mngo is boring.