What is dubstep?

Nah man, the drop hits hard, the kick stays hard, it’s got a solid groove throughout, the vocals are fun to sing along to, tambourines allow for incessant jazz hands, the stabs on the breakdown allow for waving your hands in the air like a madman, loopy enough for you to learn to dance to relatively quickly if you’ve never heard it before.
I couldn’t say that I listen to it as much as I used to, but it still makes me smile whenever I do.

hyphie mango is pretty……

I didn’t say it was overwhelmingly innovative.

It does groove though - it’s not weak.

No - fuck you - that’s a gorgeous piece of work.

Now listen closely you insolent impudent pieces of shit…
…always trying to be new instead of classic….

wow

last time i calculated the half of 180 was 90

2 Likes

She did say “incorrectly.” The typical hiphop tempo is 110bpm.

I italicised “tempo” because it may be a new word for some people who call it by the unit of measurement.

Like how much meters is a cat?

Interplanet Janet….

Did he say he wants it in the face or just the head…?

Gypsy Rustle

This is a fight - stay the fuck out of it…

don’t let me keep you….

I was going to say….
I don’t know what’s worse…

an organ donor without a license…
or the opposite….

but I’d be a liar.

Cun-ty

Gratuitous Slobber Shot

Yeah - It’s a Cruel Summer….

This reminds me of a story - and I’m going to tell it….

In Savannah - There used to be this kid who drove a jeep….
and we saw him ALL THE TIME - driving like an idiot…
and almost killing people…

Over and Over again…we would be chilling here or there….
and we’d be smoking and seeing this kid almost jump curbs
and generally causing mayhem - constantly….

One day - My boyfriend and myself were walking home from the video store…
and we’re crossing the street….
and this kid in his jeep - comes flying up - across the intersection
without stopping and slams his breaks about a ft away from us….

It was like a moment frozen in time…

Then my boyfriend ran around to the driver side…
and started pummeling this kid in the head through the open window…
I don’t know how he did it…
but he landed every punch….

Then the kid tried to push him back by flying the door open….
which was - ultra stupid…
because he almost got the door kick bent off…
and then got punched even more clearly and to the body….

He finally got his door shut back and sped off.

It was crazy.

I mean, I’m nice - I was trying to get him to stop.

ah true, i got the message wrong

You don’t go from zero to maximum secretion like that….
Have some restraint…

Loads of dubstep isn’t 140. Pinch - cave dream and a few ital tek tunes of the top of my head. Guido done quite a few non 140 dubstep tunes

1 BigUp

???

I’d go as far as to say that most dubstep isn’t, though it rarely leaves the 145-135 region.

I was wondering about this, where the half-step came from. Was just having a re-listen of 2004 era stuff, early Big Apple Records, and Digital Mystikz 12" appears to be earlier than Loefah’s DMZ plate and Ugly is definitely half-steppy.

When I first heard dubstep I heard Shackleton Blood on My Hands so I had a different idea of what dubstep was, and I was coming off of listening to Todd Edwards constantly. When I discovered the half-step style, it was like discovering a whole different world.

Any pre-2004 examples of the half-step beat in dubstep and 2-step I’d be curious about. I mean it doesn’t really matter, but I’m kind of a dork so I care.

well, this was released in 1994, 140 halftime biz

:slight_smile:

honestly though, the framework had been laid down musically for aggess before dubstep became a thing. Dubstep itself is a bit of a cultural phenomenon. Not so much revolutionary musically.

Dub versioning culture had been doing the sparse mixes with heavy bass with halftime drums for decades.

I think the modernization of the sound via 100% computer sounds b2b internet b2b UK clubs is the reason dubstep really took off. It was also a big middle finger to most club music at the time (and still kinda is). For the record, im not talking about “jah samples” and delays, but the actual mindset behind the music.

Step backwards

5 Likes

Mixing with Coki - Ugly it’s definitely an offbeat 2 step pattern without a doubt, the first snare hits towards the middle of the second bar and the second snare hits on the fourth bar. Mala said it himself, Loefah first came in with Horror Show and it was the first dubstep tune with a the halfstep beat, with the snare on the third bar.

There have probably been loads of genres with the half step style, but dubstep was very garagey and percussive sounding before dmz and loefah really started to get into their stride.

You’re right, I counted later, and it does appear to fall differently than I thought.

But what about 10 Dread Commandments by Mala? That one is def half-time beat, and it’s on the same record as Horror Show. Could it be that Loefah produced that first, and Mala heard it and was influenced by it?

Yeah it’s probably the latter, but you know it was 2004, people may forget things, or he could have been referring to the less percussive halfbeat style because 10 dread commandments is pretty percussive, I’m just saying what Mala has said.

So for now I’m saying Loefah until Mala, Loefah, Pokes or Coki says otherwise because they’re probably the only ones who truly know which tracks were produced first.

Coki - Gotham was also probably made around the same time because it has the same sort of beat as 10 Dread Commandments.

1 BigUp

But, What is dubstop???

this is actually all there is to be said about the topic. well put mane

the halfstep comes from dnb mainly. iirc loefah touches on this in the 2 interviews for blackdown