Which DAW do you use? [POLL]

Yeah comes of badly, but if you find yourself in a session tracking drums
and guitars for example. Say 14 mics. You want Pro Tools on your side :thumbsup:

1 BigUp

All in all it really depends what iā€™m doing as they are all good at different things, Ableton I find good for manipulation of sound and effects etc Logic for composing and arranging and synths and Pro tools for tracking and mixing.
Itā€™s all subjective at the end of the day some absolute tunes have been produced on really early crappy software.

interesting man. iā€™m in the exact opposite boat - been sitting on ableton for almost 3 years now and iā€™ve grown further and further from production. i find that session view is kind of a ā€œtrapā€ in that itā€™s very easy to get cool little 2-8 bar loops going, but i always get lazy or stuck when trying to translate or expand that to actual tunes in arrangement view. i often end up creating upwards of 5 or 6 ā€œsong ideasā€ in one project file and just making a mess but never making any progress on a legit tune. i feel like logic will force me to stay more focused.

Iā€™m getting a new laptop soon and planning to do the opposite - keep logic (I have 9) but donā€™t download live, at least not for now. To be fair, part of the reason iā€™ve grown stale with production is because my laptop is very slow (hence, the new laptop). It takes like 1-2 mins for a drum rack to load for example. completely ruins your workflow. but iā€™ve been planning to learn logic for a while, partly because some people i want to collab with use logic but also because logic comes with waaaaaaay more samples and iā€™m awful at spotting good samples, especially vocal samples. itā€™s easy to find really EDM-y vox like ā€œtrap chantsā€ but finding vox that work in this kinda music is something iā€™m just awful at, and logic seems to come with some vox that are actually usable.

I feel like Iā€™m asking a lot of fl studio recording 10 line level inputs of synths and drum machines lolā€¦itā€™s a little trooper though! lol

i used to make beats primarily in fl studio and then just import them into logic or ableton but now i just use fl studio, i mean it has a nice interface and i can do the same things in fl. bloody hell even skream, one of the biggest names of dubstep made some of the best tracks in fl studio. at the end of the day as long as you donā€™t call yourself a serious producer because you used garageband in a music lesson at school, youā€™re good to go.

cubase, reason, logic, ableton, fl studio, sony acid are all great.

1 BigUp

Huh, Iā€™m surprised there arenā€™t more reason users considering this is dubstepforum lol.

1 BigUp

I did try and do it, but I got this:

You cannot add or remove poll options after the first 5 minutes. Please contact a moderator if you need to edit a poll option.

I tried to as well, I canā€™t either. Would need to start a new one.

caitlyn_bubonic?

Where is dubsturbo? ffs [edit: i see this has been brought up already, sort it out]

I use ableton and maschine, mostly ableton

1 BigUp

I only ise protools at the studio Iā€™m currently placed at or at uni. Here we have prism ada 8xrs. At uni its 192s. I donā€™t wanna use native ptools cos its crap and I tend to use loads of effects and tracks ahahahah

Yeah for large sessions you need PT HD(x). As long as you donā€™t record through
a lot of plugins on native, it can handle quite a lot though. Itā€™s really only
about DSP power and latency isnā€™t it?

In mixing you can find ways around missing the DSP power. I generally keep everything
to a minimum anyway. Mixed some big sessions on my macbook actually.

*edit: by native I mean just using the computer, not the HD Native system.

1 BigUp

repping the fl studio demo

Not saying its not doable! I just have a piece of shit computer and donā€™t have th money for a Mac book as well which is basically a huge set back.

seems like this thread has a lot of ableton users. Just wanted to know how do you avoid clipping whenever you resample a track? plus, is there any techniques that you can do in ableton alone that can widen up your stereo field? Im kinda stuck using OzoneIzotope to do the trick but its not enough.

With stereo width everything is relative. Iā€™ve heard mono recording that strangely sound sort of wide. Instead of smearing everything around with stereo imagers why not start the stereo field small in the track and then automate you panned elements to go wider (using pan) after the drop or in the chorus. Its the change Iā€™m stereo that people seem to notice most. Also Iā€™m not slating stereo imagers but I would only use it on one or two track or subtly on the master

i do but i dont recommend it

1 BigUp

Also Iā€™m not slating stereo imagers

IMO, they do suck.

Haas-effect (sample delay) + M/S EQ > any shitty one knob stereo imager.

they have a use. mainly for making things mono though rather than the other way around. like i like to mono the low end on a sample im using if its in stereo because it helps tighten the low end up a bit.

I do that too, but usually by using eq, since you can get sharper cuts that way. Iā€™ve noticed many stereo imagers are designed to be really transparent, so itā€™s always like using 6db/oct highpass filter.

try using fewer stereo tracksā€¦I make a lot of stuff mono these days and work on getting the static panning correct. when I track my synths I usually track one w a nice reverb and one w a nice delay-- in mono. I find I get a nice steer field this way.